PDA

View Full Version : Caterpillar HP Rating Change

BlakSmoke
6th August, 2010, 06:23 PM
Hey guys, Have changed the horsepower rating on Cummins with Insite/Incal,but haven't done Cat,I have the flash files was looking to reflash a MBN to either a 6NZ or a 7CZ for more horsepower I am aware that need to check internal parts.I was wondering if someone could post a detailed description of how to flash the ecm,the steps necessary so nothing is lost in case have to return it to stock,and so the flash is done properly. thanks in advance.

dimitar22
7th August, 2010, 09:49 AM
Hey guys, Have changed the horsepower rating on Cummins with Insite/Incal,but haven't done Cat,I have the flash files was looking to reflash a MBN to either a 6NZ or a 7CZ for more horsepower I am aware that need to check internal parts.I was wondering if someone could post a detailed description of how to flash the ecm,the steps necessary so nothing is lost in case have to return it to stock,and so the flash is done properly. thanks in advance.

I think there is tutorial for cat et you can see in it.

BlakSmoke
7th August, 2010, 11:40 PM
I think there is tutorial for cat et you can see in it.
Thanks for the reply,I was hoping someone would share some hands on experience,step by step,instructions.Just want to make sure I do it right the first time so I dont miss anything,and cause a problem with the ecm.

dieselman77
8th August, 2010, 01:04 AM
WHEN YOU FLASH A CAT ECM YOU NEED TO DO TWO THINGS FIRST GO INTO ECM REPLACEMENT AND SAVE ALL FEATURES AND PARAMETERS IN CASE THE FLASH FAILS. THEN ONCE YOU HAVE SAVED THE FILE YOU WILL NEED TO BE ABLE TO MAKE THE FACTORY PASSWORDS NECESSARY TO CHANGE THE CALIBRATION AND FLS/FTS SETTINGS. ONCE YOU HAVE SAVE THE INFO YOU CAN GO INTO WINFLASH AND SEND THE FLASH FILE TO THE ECM IT USUALLY TAKE AROUND 15 MINUTES WITH CATERPILLAR THEY RECOMMEND YOU USE THE ECM BREAKAWAY HARNESS BUT I HAVE USED THE DASH PLUG EVERYTIME AND NEVER HAD A PROBLEM ONCE WITH A FLASH. AS FAR AS CHANGING THE PARTS GOES LOOK ON THE ENGINE DATA TAG AND IT USUALLY SAY THE MAX HORSEPOWER OUTPUT OF THIS ENGINE IS ****HP AND THAT TO MY KNOWLEDGE IS WITHOUT CHANGING ANY PARTS LIKE INJECTORS, CAM, ECT.

dieselman77
8th August, 2010, 01:08 AM
WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO FLASH A TRUCK ENGINE , GENERATOR, MARINE ENGINE ? JUST CURIOUS BUT YOU WILL DEFINITELY NEED FACTORY PASSWORDS TO CHANGE THE FLS AND FTS SETTINGS USUALLY I LEAVE THEM ALONE UNTIL I FIND OUT WHAT THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE SET TO THEY GO FROM -127 TO 127 I BELIEVE IT ALL HAVE TO DO WITH FUEL DELIVERY TIMING BUT I COULD VERY WELL BE WRONG HOPE THIS HELP YOU LET ME KNOW HOW YOU MAKE OUT BUT I HIGHLY SUGGEST YOU SAVE ALL ECM DATA BEFORE FLASHING IF NOT YOU HAVE TO GO IN AND REPROGRAM EVERYTHING MANUALLY AND IT TAKES ALL DAY GOOD LUCK CAT IS REALLY EASY TO FLASH YOU SHOULD HAVE HO PROBLEMS IF YOU CAN HANDLE CUMMINS CAT IS VERY EASY CUMMINS BY FAR IS THE MOST COMPLICATED WITH ALL THE SECRET PLUGS UNDER THE HOOD

gentlemen007
9th August, 2010, 03:08 AM
WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO FLASH A TRUCK ENGINE , GENERATOR, MARINE ENGINE ? JUST CURIOUS BUT YOU WILL DEFINITELY NEED FACTORY PASSWORDS TO CHANGE THE FLS AND FTS SETTINGS USUALLY I LEAVE THEM ALONE UNTIL I FIND OUT WHAT THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE SET TO THEY GO FROM -127 TO 127 I BELIEVE IT ALL HAVE TO DO WITH FUEL DELIVERY TIMING BUT I COULD VERY WELL BE WRONG HOPE THIS HELP YOU LET ME KNOW HOW YOU MAKE OUT BUT I HIGHLY SUGGEST YOU SAVE ALL ECM DATA BEFORE FLASHING IF NOT YOU HAVE TO GO IN AND REPROGRAM EVERYTHING MANUALLY AND IT TAKES ALL DAY GOOD LUCK CAT IS REALLY EASY TO FLASH YOU SHOULD HAVE HO PROBLEMS IF YOU CAN HANDLE CUMMINS CAT IS VERY EASY CUMMINS BY FAR IS THE MOST COMPLICATED WITH ALL THE SECRET PLUGS UNDER THE HOOD

Thanks for info! Dieselman77
Im interessed to know how password work to reflash. cat sold it or can be generate easyli?I would like upgrade horspower on a truck 1MM for race only!some man tell me a marine software can be put to obtain many horse power?I performe software many times on cummins and volvo but never on a cat!:hmmmm2:

dimitar22
9th August, 2010, 11:13 AM
Thanks for info! Dieselman77
Im interessed to know how password work to reflash. cat sold it or can be generate easyli?I would like upgrade horspower on a truck 1MM for race only!some man tell me a marine software can be put to obtain many horse power?I performe software many times on cummins and volvo but never on a cat!:hmmmm2:

You have reprogrammed a volvo ecm?

gentlemen007
9th August, 2010, 11:38 AM
Yes but with legal volvo ac**** to central only.

MDR72
23rd September, 2010, 04:57 AM
looking for hp with 1mm ser #. first thing need to flash ecm for 2ws prefix ser #. need to do this to get rid of smart wastegate turbo. you will need someone to generate passwords to change engine ser# on your ecm cat will no longer let you do this. or purchase a NEW ecm, it will let you program it one time and need no passwords. if you do that make sure you find the correct fls/fts for max power.

gentlemen007
23rd September, 2010, 08:00 PM
looking for hp with 1mm ser #. first thing need to flash ecm for 2ws prefix ser #. need to do this to get rid of smart wastegate turbo. you will need someone to generate passwords to change engine ser# on your ecm cat will no longer let you do this. or purchase a NEW ecm, it will let you program it one time and need no passwords. if you do that make sure you find the correct fls/fts for max power.
if i flash in 2ws...14liters the max hp is 550 1850ft lbs .Presently the engine is 1mm...16liters 600hp 2050 lbs ft.How find better set up for fls fts?thanks

MDR72
24th September, 2010, 02:58 AM
what are you looking for lots of power or something that runs well and stays together, with somewhat reasonable fuel mileage. have to search to look for #'s for 1mm but let me know what you need. sorry confused 1mm with mbn prefix. talk soon pm me i'll get back sooon as possible with weekend coming

dieselman77
24th September, 2010, 09:07 AM
for dimitar22 i have never programmed a volvo ecm i think you have to have access to the volvo mainframe computer to do any ecm recalibrations but you can reprogram the road speed governor and a few other settings if you have the password used to set them in the first place i do not believe volvo/mack has a master password to reset all of them like detroit or a zapit like cummins if you dont know what the password is you have to go to the dealer and get the ecm erased and reflashed and the password will be reset to 0000 or 1111 for example whatever it orginally was have a good day hope this helps you out dimitar22

dieselman77
24th September, 2010, 09:09 AM
gentlemen007 if you post the engine serial number i will see if i can get the flash file for the engine also i will see if i can find the fls/fts settings on cat sis have a good day

gentlemen007
24th September, 2010, 07:25 PM
for dimitar22 i have never programmed a volvo ecm i think you have to have access to the volvo mainframe computer to do any ecm recalibrations but you can reprogram the road speed governor and a few other settings if you have the password used to set them in the first place i do not believe volvo/mack has a master password to reset all of them like detroit or a zapit like cummins if you dont know what the password is you have to go to the dealer and get the ecm erased and reflashed and the password will be reset to 0000 or 1111 for example whatever it orginally was have a good day hope this helps you out dimitar22
Its possible to resset a password or change a eecu software and serial number for a ecu for volvo .You need a ptt registed to volvo and must be connecte to central .The software are billed direct to user id request .No software are available on dvd flash files only on mainframe. I never see a programme who resset password without connect to central for volvo.generaly default password are (blank) or 0000 or 1234 in certain case .Customer can install the password he want, many possibilit? exist wit number and letter .

jugghack2
24th September, 2010, 11:35 PM
marine software is good only for top end as there is more out of a 600 2050 then any other I was told in the drag racing end of it they are using that prog with 800 c18 injrctors and a Huge turbo to make some big numbers but they open class trucks are using custom software that allows 4 deg of timing advance wich Cat does not.
If your looking for power you Gata figure a way to get the Heat out. High flow manafodls and heat wrap and good and most important is a Fuel Cooler with a Fan on it. what fuel pressuer are you running?

gentlemen007
26th September, 2010, 02:55 AM
marine software is good only for top end as there is more out of a 600 2050 then any other I was told in the drag racing end of it they are using that prog with 800 c18 injrctors and a Huge turbo to make some big numbers but they open class trucks are using custom software that allows 4 deg of timing advance wich Cat does not.
If your looking for power you Gata figure a way to get the Heat out. High flow manafodls and heat wrap and good and most important is a Fuel Cooler with a Fan on it. what fuel pressuer are you running?

presently is stock (its for a friend truck) he looking for a upgrade of power but dont want to go in open class .I know c18 injector is a good thing and bigger manifold too.Someone tell me 3406b manifold have better flow than a E ?Whats the max fuel pressure can be run injector ?

torqueman
27th September, 2010, 02:36 AM
Hey Backsmoke,
The best way to reflash ecm is to hook up Cat et and go on copy configuration and save it to desktop or some folder.
Then hook up with another ecm and send the same configuration to the ecm you wanna flash.
This way you don't need password for fls and fts setting.
I have tried one ecm of 2ws to mbn and it had been flashed successfully.Even the engine serieal # will be changed.

chrisn27
27th September, 2010, 03:29 AM
Yes it would be safe to copy your configuration in case something goes haywire. Also if you do the ECM replacement in Cat ET you will not have to perform a timing calibration as you would with a new program. Its been a while since I've done one but have access to SIS if you'd like a step-by-step instruction...

dieselman77
30th September, 2010, 09:35 AM
timing calibration ? what is that used for the engine timing ? injection timing ? we usually just flash the ecm and set the fls/fts and the truck runs fine please do explain if my boss is having us do something wrong i would like to know thank you very much

Strykerforce
3rd October, 2010, 02:14 PM
timing calibration ? what is that used for the engine timing ? injection timing ? we usually just flash the ecm and set the fls/fts and the truck runs fine please do explain if my boss is having us do something wrong i would like to know thank you very much

It is actually SPEED TIMING CALIBRATION. This will become an active code once you replaced the Old ECM with new ECM without copying the OLD ECM Replacement in ECM Configuration using CAT ET.

Flashing is just like refreshing the OLD ECM software or Flash File in case you dough it has been corrupted. but with OLD ECM (original Engine ECM) after reflashing, no need to do SPEED TIMING CALIBRATION.

launchtech
25th November, 2010, 05:40 AM
Any one helps me where to get the flash file for Detroit and CAT? Thank a lot

wrenchead
9th December, 2010, 02:23 AM
DO YOU NOW THE FLASH FILE THEY USE FOR 800? THANK YOU

jugghack2
31st January, 2011, 01:47 AM
it's a 600hp truck file used to get some numbers with stock files
the only way to get 800 is to add injectors and turbo and get a hold of somewone with cracked files
as for fuel pressure 150 to 200 in the race world 120 for every day use is ok

Louie
3rd February, 2011, 03:27 PM
1mm serial number is a factory 600hp engine now if you have the full serial number and the personality module number aka flash file number I can look one up that is compatiable with alot more hp and also give you some other numbers to use to get your hp very close to 800

dmaan42
20th February, 2011, 11:11 PM
1mm serial number is a factory 600hp engine now if you have the full serial number and the personality module number aka flash file number I can look one up that is compatiable with alot more hp and also give you some other numbers to use to get your hp very close to 800
Hi I was wondering if you could look up a compatible flash file for me that would get me more HP? Mine is currently at 550! Here is my info: Engine Serial # 6NZ13667 ECM Serial # 31390236KA Personality Module Part # 1779214-00 Personality Module Code -7 Personality Release Date - NOV 99 Vehicle ID - 533468N If you can get me a compatible flash file for more horsepower I would really apreciate it! Thank you, Darren

chesterqc
22nd February, 2011, 01:48 AM
There is some good flash, used for emergency vehicule, like 650hp or 680hp.......I will put the links pretty soon

torqueman
22nd February, 2011, 03:43 AM
Hi I was wondering if you could look up a compatible flash file for me that would get me more HP? Mine is currently at 550! Here is my info: Engine Serial # 6NZ13667 ECM Serial # 31390236KA Personality Module Part # 1779214-00 Personality Module Code -7 Personality Release Date - NOV 99 Vehicle ID - 533468N If you can get me a compatible flash file for more horsepower I would really apreciate it! Thank you, Darren

try this file.This is 600 hp for 1mm serieal number.
If it works let me know.

http://rapidshare.com/files/449204390/2707083.FLS

dmaan42
22nd February, 2011, 05:14 AM
does it make a difference if it's for a 3406 because mine is a c15?

torqueman
23rd February, 2011, 06:30 PM
does it make a difference if it's for a 3406 because mine is a c15?

It means.
You have to check for the hardware instlled in the engine,does it be compatible for 600 hp or not?
You have to check from dealer for iron like injectors, camshaft,crankshaft,pistons that they can accept load upto 600 hp other wise it will damage somthing inside engine.

dmaan42
24th February, 2011, 03:29 AM
Thanks! I flashed the file to my truck and so far it runs great!

squealerswheels
9th April, 2011, 04:59 AM
great info will the ecm replacement work with aftermarket tunes? anyone tried it?