PDA

View Full Version : best anti virus software

daddys
30th November, 2008, 10:44 PM
hi can any body recommend a anti virus software i use norton at moment but find it slows my comp down to much cheers

A7mag3ddon
1st December, 2008, 01:29 AM
Nortan / Symantec are hopeless... I recommend NOD32 or Kaspersky ( internet security suite ) Both very very good and work seamless in the background.

kenmonu
1st December, 2008, 01:30 AM
hi can any body recommend a anti virus software i use norton at moment but find it slows my comp down to much cheers

try nod 32, not such a resourch hog.

mazdan
1st December, 2008, 11:24 PM
I personally recoment e-trust antivirus. You can put it on 4 computers for less than ?50

yatik
2nd December, 2008, 12:33 AM
So far no problems, nothing gets through

dctyper
2nd December, 2008, 09:55 AM
superantispyware mate its the best i have ever seen

smokey_jnr
2nd December, 2008, 10:43 AM
avg 8.0 it's free and auto updates defs... perfect never had problmes doesn't take too much resources nothing like what norton does...

royster
2nd December, 2008, 09:04 PM
Hi

The old norton slows your computer down as it uses a lot of memory to run.

I have installed Norton Internet 2009 it is fab, uses a small amount of memory making it much faster. Also gives you Firewall protection.

I would try and download the free trial from symantec website .

hope this helps

R

Danril
2nd December, 2008, 09:22 PM
I use avast, which is free for the home edition and I've been happy.

There was a slight problem with the latest update and it came up in my sysem tray as not being up to date but it seemed to be something to do with the reboot setting my clock to one month in front and once I spotted that and amended it I was fine. No doubt their techy men will have taken care of this problem because when I gogles it I was far from alone in having the same problem.

manhatten
2nd December, 2008, 09:27 PM
Download AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition,
Very good and you get free updates allmost every day, And it dose not hogg your computer resources.

man

JohnnyF
2nd December, 2008, 09:49 PM
Hiya mate!
I use Eset Smart Security which includes the Nod 32 Antivirus.
It dont slow down your PC as its only got a small footprint!
I used a cracked version that runs in trial mode and according to form
it will update for the next 67 years or there abouts!
If any of you or any of the good folks want a copy of the patch
just reply and I'll happily send it along with some instructions!
You'll have to download the trial version from Eset of course!
Caio!

JohnnyF
2nd December, 2008, 10:18 PM
Hi again!
Have attached the patch and the instructions for you or anyone to try!
I find it spot-on!
Thanks!

rvfbill
2nd December, 2008, 11:42 PM
+1 on AVG free fro mgrisoft, nver had any probs with that, also Ad-Aware 2007 to the rubbish off. Heard good things about Avast as well (free also).

Bill

laptops
2nd December, 2008, 11:46 PM
avast is good, blocks all my bugs, and tells me too. home edition is free and does the job. also keeps the system running fast.

ABDI23
3rd December, 2008, 05:53 PM
try nod32 or panda, the both good, norton and mcafee makes computer slow and takes a lot of space.

angrykid89
3rd December, 2008, 09:28 PM
bit defender is very good on the wallet and very good on system processes. doesnt hog your memory like norton, mcafee etc

Glandman
5th December, 2008, 09:04 PM
Kaspersky is the best virus checker. It works in the background and finds most troublesome gremlins. Its a lot cheaper than most virus checkers and can be bought from microdirect.com at a reasonable price. Thoroughly recommended by pcpro as well featuring on the A list.

A_B_L
5th December, 2008, 09:07 PM
Is there any site in particular you have to go to download AVG?

caveman_nige
5th December, 2008, 09:09 PM
try here AVG Free - Download AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition for Windows XP and Vista (http://free.avg.com/download-avg-anti-virus-free-edition)

dasteph
8th December, 2008, 11:06 AM
go to Free Software Downloads and Reviews - Download.com (http://www.download.com/windows/) the first 3 out of 5 popular downloads are free av.

afriend
9th December, 2008, 09:10 PM

I have used Norton and would never use it again.I now use A.V.G. it's free and you get daily updates and I have never had any trouble with it.

pedst
10th December, 2008, 02:52 PM
comodo internet security prob best free bundle out there at mo

Hazza
11th December, 2008, 07:25 PM
I would go with Bit defender, I have used it for a while now and have had no issues.
Another good one is Ashampoo, just google it. They also make a great burning software as well as loads of other goodies, all very cheap but very good quality.
Harry

burnage bowler
11th December, 2008, 07:34 PM
I installed the trial version of NOD32 a week ago after using norton for years, my pc is so much quicker and it found 3 virus that norton hadn't detected,
my only issue now is internet popups have started, any one recomend decent popup stopper ??

pedst
11th December, 2008, 08:22 PM
use mozzila firefox with adblock plus plugin. works a treat :)

burnage bowler
11th December, 2008, 08:51 PM
Thanks just downloading spybot gonna give that a try, if it doesn't clear it i will give firfox a go.

the_last_m_p
12th December, 2008, 02:12 AM
Most definitely Kaspersky Internet Security. All tests show it to have the best detection rate and it gets hourly virus definition updates. Moreover, dabs.co.uk are having a xmas promotion so the latest version is half price now (at just ?13 for a year right now)
dabs.com - Kaspersky lab Internet Security 2009 1 user (KL1829UXAFS) (http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=55s4)

jack the kipper
14th December, 2008, 10:51 PM
i use f-secure was recommaned by a teacher at collage and its very good :unionflag:

tb888
15th December, 2008, 11:43 PM
Just use a free one, AVG or AVAST, they always do a good enough job.

If you undestand how AV works, you'll understand why it's nothing to depend on.
Common sense and an understanding of what your computer is doing in the background is a much more powerful tool.