PDA

View Full Version : Setting Up Webserver upload needed?

nraimo
12th August, 2010, 10:50 AM
Hello Everyone, I host the companys website with a hosting company at current and I've just upgraded my broadband connection to (10mb DOWN) and my UP goes between (0.900 -1.16mb UP) http://www.speedtest.net/result/911966679.png

THe thing is am thinking of buying my self an onsite server, and using it to host the website as well as deal with our internet use (which isn't very high) Will this upload be enough to host my website? below i've included some stats on my website's bandwith use as of current.

Please note the times will be wrong as the website is based in the US at the mo other reason to bring it over locally

Wingaman
15th August, 2010, 09:35 PM
I got a web hosting company and after your stats analyzed go ahead, no problem to use your internet connection. You could also host more web site on this link without problem.

nraimo
16th August, 2010, 09:52 AM
please remember these stats are from the current webserver, are you sure 1mb upload will be enough for that bandwidth?? as the cost of buying the server will only be worth wild if the website will work.

itr703
16th August, 2010, 10:02 AM
Hello Everyone, I host the companys website with a hosting company at current and I've just upgraded my broadband connection to (10mb DOWN) and my UP goes between (0.900 -1.16mb UP) http://www.speedtest.net/result/911966679.png

THe thing is am thinking of buying my self an onsite server, and using it to host the website as well as deal with our internet use (which isn't very high) Will this upload be enough to host my website? below i've included some stats on my website's bandwith use as of current.

Please note the times will be wrong as the website is based in the US at the mo other reason to bring it over locally

Do I understand wel:
1Mb up for your server means that users of your site have a 1Mb (megabit) connection with your server so downloading a picture of 500k wil last about 5 sec.
I think it is not the overall traffic that's a problem but the performance the individual user will get.

Apart from this ... does your ISP allow you to host websites on your connection ?

Regards,
ITR703

----------------------------------------------------
Please consider the Thanks button if my post is usefull
----------------------------------------------------

nraimo
16th August, 2010, 02:24 PM
Do I understand wel:
1Mb up for your server means that users of your site have a 1Mb (megabit) connection with your server so downloading a picture of 500k wil last about 5 sec.
I think it is not the overall traffic that's a problem but the performance the individual user will get.

Apart from this ... does your ISP allow you to host websites on your connection ?

1MB up means that yes when connecting to my site your get around 1MB download from my site but if am using my connection say they get 900k, and yes the indivdual user am botherd about my site is luigimotors.com the stocklist page contains a large amount of images in all fairness the chance of 2 users logging on at the same time will be very small but there's still a chance. As yes my ISP is a buiness package that is why I have an enchanced upstream for webservers to run

nraimo
19th May, 2011, 09:46 AM
Just for anyone who google's this or search's for it on here Luigi Motor Services - Performance And Prestige Used Car Sales Cheshire Porsche Ferrari BMW (http://luigimotors.com) is now running on my own webserver 1mb was fine to support the website and web use for the office. I had to trim down the website in CSS style sheets to make it load alot faster but works a treat.

Furax
19th June, 2011, 05:54 PM
Servers down :P

Personally i wouldnt bother hosting stuff at home. Look for a cheap vps for about ?15 a month u can get a server in a datacenter

nraimo
13th July, 2011, 12:11 PM
Servers down :P

Personally i wouldnt bother hosting stuff at home. Look for a cheap vps for about ?15 a month u can get a server in a datacenter

Hey it wasn't down I was having all the DNS information changed and the TTL was set to 24 hours :-) sites been self hosted since that post with 50 new people a day and a crazy! amount of hits