PDA

View Full Version : how to set up an media server for 500 homes?

airwaves1
14th August, 2010, 10:21 AM
hello mates. I usually post in automotive section this is my first post in other section. I have a question for all of you how to set up an media server(windows not linux) of 500 homes. what kind of software do I need? 500 homes are currently connected with 1Gbps infrastructure. We have 20 HP DL140 G6 servers ready to launch. And have 3000+ movies and series(legal). Any suggestions?

airwaves1
16th August, 2010, 05:25 PM
no comments? any ideas?

wait4me
21st August, 2010, 12:23 AM
I suppose windows 7 and just set up everyone with thier own user name and password to enter the main server. It shouldnt be to hard and just keep the network name all the same. I dont know how to set up the ip addresses for them all though, and i wouldnt know how to keep the speed fast for everyone trying to access data all at once, It might get pretty slow with only one path.

N3lson
21st August, 2010, 12:55 AM
What format(s) is the media in?

What is being used to play them?

Will it be an open service or require access control?

jfish
30th August, 2010, 01:58 AM
I suppose windows 7 and just set up everyone with thier own user name and password to enter the main server. It shouldnt be to hard and just keep the network name all the same. I dont know how to set up the ip addresses for them all though, and i wouldnt know how to keep the speed fast for everyone trying to access data all at once, It might get pretty slow with only one path.

I would recommend using load balancing for access, all 20 servers would have virtual IP addresses and also a single "real" IP Address

You can either use Windows Load Balancing (which in my opinion is shite) or use an hardware load balancer

This way each server would not be overloaded with access, as the load balancer would push requests to servers with least connections.

brazil_saint
1st October, 2010, 07:55 PM
Interesting project - I work with IPVOD in hotels, and we often install 500+ bedroom hotels, with the difference being that usage is low - perhaps 4%.

So, I would want to know what sort of usage you are expecting. If it's a pay-per-view, then usage will probably be low, as you are competing against illegal content off the internet, and pirate DVD. If it's a subscription service with a monthly fee, then your usage would presumably be higher.

Once you have an idea of how many viewers you are likely to get per night (and assuming peak time is 2pm-6pm for the kids, and then 7pm - midnight for the family in general, you can get an idea of what your data traffic is going to be like.

You will need load balancing, hardware based. You will also need a streaming server solution. Of your 20 servers - how are you planning on setting them up? I would have them set up in a redundant setup, with multiple streaming servers (have a look at Castis).

You will probably need some sort of DRM server too, or the studios will not have approved your distribution system.

So - I would be looking at a commercial streaming solution, a professional headend that converts your content into the streams you want to send over the network in unicast mode, a DRM solution to keep the studios happy, a redundant setup for the network storage of the actual content, and a hardware load balancer.