PDA

View Full Version : dump & virgin files

sagareave
15th August, 2010, 07:28 PM
Could some 1 explain 2 me what a dump and virgin file is and what are they used 4?

eprommazza
15th August, 2010, 10:14 PM
Could some 1 explain 2 me what a dump and virgin file is and what are they used 4?

file virgin 'special requirement serves to bring the ECU to the initial state .. and can be used to repair and replacement of an ECU:musicus:

Fallen
15th August, 2010, 10:45 PM
When you read the contents on a chip, the content is called a dump, this is usually stored in a .BIN format.

If you remove an already used immo from a car and try and use it in the same model of car, it will not work, it is locked to the old car.
When a replacement immo is bought new from the manufactured, it comes in a "virgin" state, it will accept any new keys introduced to it.
You can take a used immo from a car, write a virgin file to the correct chip and it will be like you have bought it new from the manufacturer.

sagareave
15th August, 2010, 11:04 PM
My next question is on an used control unit, can u erase the bin file that's locked on to it and replace it with a virgin file without changing the chip?

ipejasinovic
15th August, 2010, 11:15 PM
If chip allows read/write functions, then you can. Sometimes you can read/write chip trough diagnostics port, but sometimes you need to desolder chip and make read/write with specialized programmers...

eprommazza
15th August, 2010, 11:30 PM
My next question is on an used control unit, can u erase the bin file that's locked on to it and replace it with a virgin file without changing the chip?

depends on the ECU there are different .. sometimes you have to reprogram the eeprom but in other cases flash or EPROM
I suggest you study these and see what the differences
some memories are erased with UV light with other electronic programmer
discourse and 'a bit long ...

always welcome thanks