PDA

View Full Version : Best vehicle diagnostic software/hardware?

SchrodingersCat
19th August, 2010, 04:41 PM
Hi,
A friend of mine is looking into buying some professional diagnostic kits to help out the dad in the garage. He had a few sales reps around and tried out a few in the market: A "Launch X-431", a "Delphi" PDA type thing which was shit, and a "Wurth diagnostic system" (which consisted of PC based software "Wurth Online World: WOW" and a bluetooth OBD transceiver "snooper box" which seemed a bit like old technology tbh)
The best he found out the lot was the wurth wow and the Launch X-431. He found that both could do pretty much all the tasks that he needed to do (program new key codes, airbags etc). However, the Launch X-431 costs over 3k euros and subscriptions of 690 a year. Similarly the Wurth kit costs 1.5k euros and 700 a year subscriptions.

Now, for me to help him out, I was wondering, which device would you recommend? Is there a cheaper alternative? i.e. are there chinese clones for the two devices hardware and/or cr*cked software that could do the same job for cheaper?

I have searched the forums and found c*acked updates for the Launch x431, but could find very little on the Wurth. I was hoping that maybe I could use a generic OBD bluetooth transceiver (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16921) and some cr*cked WOW PC software? I would be pretty good at flashing firmware and working with HEX images, that sort of thing, so that wouldnt be an issue.

Any advice is welcome!

Thanks!

electromech
19th August, 2010, 06:31 PM
M8 there is no one professional tool out there and with all things in life you get what you pay for so basicly what does he want to do with the tool and what brand!!!.....clear faults....Launch all the way..... I wouldnt look at the Wurth but if he wants indepth programming he needs to phone the bank manager!!!!!!!! in a nut shell we need more info on what exactly he wants to do but I have a launch and work on every car under the sun (exept american cars) and the Launch almost (french cars) never lets me down I find it very strong on euros

the_riddler
19th August, 2010, 07:04 PM
In my view, Dont go throwing ?****.** on a universal machine,
10 year ago, Yes these tools were really the only option,

However, today and from here on, Manufactorer specific software / hardware, is the way to go, they offer way more than any universal tool.

Does this mean universal tools are no-good anymore?? NO, they are still nessasery, But maybe, a few cheap universal machines (pulling codes & Resets)
and a few OEM machines, ( programming & Adaptions )

But Once you have pulled codes from the vehicles, we still have to know, what to do next,
Most of these will log unrelated fault codes because they share circuts / hardware, or just a victim of the real fault,

My most used tool is my Scope, it fits 99.9% of cars,
but cant turn off a single mil lamp.......

electromech
19th August, 2010, 08:18 PM
In my view, Dont go throwing ?****.** on a universal machine,
10 year ago, Yes these tools were really the only option,

However, today and from here on, Manufactorer specific software / hardware, is the way to go, they offer way more than any universal tool.

Does this mean universal tools are no-good anymore?? NO, they are still nessasery, But maybe, a few cheap universal machines (pulling codes & Resets)
and a few OEM machines, ( programming & Adaptions )

But Once you have pulled codes from the vehicles, we still have to know, what to do next,
Most of these will log unrelated fault codes because they share circuts / hardware, or just a victim of the real fault,

My most used tool is my Scope, it fits 99.9% of cars,
but cant turn off a single mil lamp.......
"My most used tool is my Scope, it fits 99.9% of cars,
but cant turn off a single mil lamp....... "

What scope you got M8?

rrob311
20th August, 2010, 02:12 AM
If you are doing mostly OBD work I would get a Ruggedized laptop and start building it with an obd interface and just keep adding programs. Over here in the US we have no subaru coverage and I use the 2 major "all in one" scanners and the software has more holes than swiss cheese. Not a good 2000 dollar investment I expected way more than what I got.

the_riddler
20th August, 2010, 05:38 PM
"My most used tool is my Scope, it fits 99.9% of cars,
but cant turn off a single mil lamp....... "

What scope you got M8?

Fluke 192b 2-Channel

it is a "general purpose" scope, not auto only, very fast, with recorder, (which is very handy).
The best part of my scope was the training i had from
Frank Massey, Preston.. The guy is a wizzard..

if your are looking for scope, and finding things slightly to much ??? try looking for second-hand, general purpose bench-top models, (techtronix) for example..

hope this helps......

electromech
20th August, 2010, 07:25 PM
Got any good site where I could find one at reasonable price as I only find one that are way over priced

the_riddler
20th August, 2010, 08:38 PM
Got any good site where I could find one at reasonable price as I only find one that are way over priced

only e-bay etc..

most people that use these, dont generally get rid of them,
there that good...

sorry cant help more..

Wolfpack
21st August, 2010, 11:40 PM
You need to know what you need the scantool for? do you work on all make and models? What i would do is figure which one i work on the most and buy the factory scantool. Then i would get a uni scantool like OTC or the Snapon and go from there.

SchrodingersCat
22nd August, 2010, 03:14 PM
Wow, some really useful posts here, thanks for all the replies folks. As far as I know, he is really just starting out, and just needs to reset airbags, reprogram keys, that sort of thing at the moment. Were Irish based, so it will be mostly Japanese/european models.

@electromech, thanks, Il tell him that the Wurth isnt as good compared to the launch. As he was quoted €3K for the launch, do you know if there are any cheaper (chinese clones) available? If so where?

@the_riddler, again, thanks for your reply. You mention that "a few cheap universal machines" might still be usefull. If so, could you recommend one? I have a tektronix 2 channel lab scope aswel. Would you know of any guides on how to get started on using one to read the fault codes?

@rrob311, im very interested in this approach, as i looks like it could be the cheapest setup. Do you know if these cables be any good? DealExtreme: $53.99 ELM327 Bluetooth OBD-II Wireless Transceiver Dongle (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16921) DealExtreme: $27.86 ELM327 USB Vehicle OBD-2 Scanner Tool (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.28528)
What PC software do you use?

Thanks for all your help guys. Hopefully when we get more clued up on this we will be able to return the favour in the forum.

oldford
22nd August, 2010, 03:59 PM
The Elm Version 1.5 does not exist. Only the paint on the outside is V1.5, the inside is V1.2. You get what you pay for. These cheap interfaces are nice for the amateur, not for a professional. And you can only do engines and gearboxes with them on compliant cars. No resetting of airbags, service interval, no programming of keys, etc.

Since you're in the EU, the cars fall under the EOBD rules.
That means in short petrol from 2001, diesel from 2004, and commercial diesels (Sprinter etc.) from 2007 on. Do you still want to buy the elm interface?

dimitar22
22nd August, 2010, 04:16 PM
OEM interfaces and softwares are the best and easiest way to do the job.

Iroll
22nd August, 2010, 04:38 PM
I only use VIDA on Volvo?s. I receive a lot of work from other shops that can?t do a complete reset/erase in all nodes with there tools. Sometimes if not done right codes will come back.

the_riddler
22nd August, 2010, 06:22 PM

@the_riddler, again, thanks for your reply. You mention that "a few cheap universal machines" might still be usefull. If so, could you recommend one? I have a tektronix 2 channel lab scope aswel. Would you know of any guides on how to get started on using one to read the fault codes?

Autel Maxidiag, hand-held unit,there are 4 units available French, USA, Euro, Jap.....Approx ?200.00 each.
hell of a piece of kit for the money,
Autel is asian, and on the net, many e-bayers selling this unit,
With software (THEY STOLE FROM HERE),
NOW the cool bit is you can reprogramme any of the 4 units, so that 1 unit with the right software on it can do the same as all 4,
(does that make sense)
Basicly...buy ONE tool and programme the other 3 softwares to it, (easy)

Search net, sold all over,

Mods..will remove password or file let me know

password for file is julez
have found out since posting that this is freely avaivable
from sellers

Mrubbert
22nd August, 2010, 10:53 PM
Oh shit so blind i have been, gone for couple of weeks and a soup is boiling.
If THEPIRATEBAY is still alive then..........

Password please.

alex1986
25th August, 2010, 08:48 AM
Hi, friend.
Choose the oringal machine , but if your money limitedm,try a clone one.
1.X431 Master (oringal , free update 2 years)
2. X431 GX3 (clone) ,
3.Autoboss V30 (Oringal)
4.Autoboss PC-MAX (based on PC)

SchrodingersCat
1st September, 2010, 04:06 PM
Hey, Thanks for all the replies guys. In the end he went for the Wurth machine, as he got it for a good price through his dads garage suppliers. If It werent for the cheaper price, Id say he would have gone for your suggestion the_riddler, the Autel maxidiag. Its really cheap, and i probably could have upgraded the flash in it for him to take a 64mb chip, so that he could have the three versions of software on it. Ah well, the wurth was the path of least resistance in the end.
Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate all your help.

bessniak
26th September, 2010, 03:08 AM
OEM interfaces and softwares are the best and easiest way to do the job.
hi ! how do i get these ? need a bit help over here ...

bekamon
26th September, 2010, 04:48 AM
Hi, friend.
Choose the oringal machine , but if your money limitedm,try a clone one.
1.X431 Master (oringal , free update 2 years)
2. X431 GX3 (clone) ,
3.Autoboss V30 (Oringal)
4.Autoboss PC-MAX (based on PC)

where is the diagun on this list

mdanilo
2nd October, 2010, 07:31 PM

Autel Maxidiag, hand-held unit,there are 4 units available French, USA, Euro, Jap.....Approx ?200.00 each.
NOW the cool bit is you can reprogramme any of the 4 units, so that 1 unit with the right software on it can do the same as all 4,
(does that make sense)

Password please.

marginal
4th October, 2010, 03:05 PM
How about this one: Autel (http://www.auteltech.com/daspro.htm) ???

me1me2
24th October, 2010, 11:53 PM
hello
password please
thanks mate

irishs12
25th October, 2010, 01:10 AM

(does that make sense)

password for file is julez
have found out since posting that this is freely avaivable
from sellers

I have to agree,for the money it is 1 hell of a piece of kit,and the rest of the software is available for free.Autel also do a professional diagnostic machine which I havn't tried but i suspect may be very good as well.
I have the autel maxidiag and an autoboss v30 and for ease of use the autel wins but for in depth diagnostics the autoboss is better.
If you use it professionally,you won't be bothered with changing the software on the autel.
I also have an oscilloscope as well mind.

8k65m
26th February, 2011, 11:18 AM
irishs12: "I have the autel maxidiag and an autoboss v30"
That possible to say about this after 4 months? What change? What trend?

trinto
4th May, 2011, 03:44 PM
Maybe this question doesn't belong to this thread. But. I'm searching through the net for the information to get the dealers list of autel in order to buy an original tool. Has anybody knows where can I find this list (not only for UK)?

Thanks in advance for any information

Trinto

8k65m
4th May, 2011, 06:38 PM
Sales or Product Questions:
sales@auteltech.com

trinto
5th May, 2011, 09:33 AM
Thanks. I'll try to ask them. Hope I will get any answer.