PDA

View Full Version : Lap top crash - Please help

HODGETOWN
1st December, 2008, 05:12 PM
Hi
Lap top has just white screened! Couldn't turn it off, if I shut the lid it stayed the same. ONly way I got rid was to pull battery out. Now it's not working at all. No power, nothing.
Worried as was about to upload some software to a piece of hardware from it when it died. COuld the software have killed it?
Also, have it on a long term warranty thing. What should I say to them in order to get it fixed or replaced?
Any useful advice, greatly appreciated!!

dctyper
1st December, 2008, 05:26 PM
how far do you get when booting up?

HODGETOWN
1st December, 2008, 06:24 PM
no power what so ever. wont do anything!

mazdan
1st December, 2008, 11:23 PM
Strange you got a white screen first, sounds like software but if you are not getting any power then it is hardware.

To see if hardware take out your battery and plug in your power supply. now try turning on your laptop. Did this do anything?

If Yes please let me know exactly what happens. if no then deffo hardware

dctyper
1st December, 2008, 11:42 PM
check your fuse mate

ferretuk
1st December, 2008, 11:44 PM
laptop crashed was the driver injured

dctyper
2nd December, 2008, 12:03 AM
laptop crashed was the driver injured

lol lol lol

Street Hawk
2nd December, 2008, 05:45 PM
Hi, what laptop is it?, make and model?
also how old is the laptop, and how much warranty is left on it. the most common fault with the white screen error is either 2 things.. Motherboard or 7 times out of 10 its the graphics card if its a higher end laptop.

Things to try..........

Phase 1

Pull the battery out of the laptop & connect only the mains power lead into the machine & turn it on. if still no power.. try another charger to see if the charging light comes on.

still no joy....???

Try another Battery, connect the mains up & power on the system.

Phase 2.

If you do get power to the unit and still a blank white screen then you will need to connect a external monitor up to the laptop using the vga port normally located on the back of the Laptop & boot up the machine. if you get a display on the external monitor then its not your graphics card or motherboard it will be your screen or the inverter on the screen its self.
if this is the case then you can either repleace the inverter or replace the screen what ever suits your pocket as it may cost some ??? if you are not prepared to shop around.

Let me know what you have tried and what has failed.
Good luck

Street Hawk.

royster
2nd December, 2008, 08:57 PM
Hi

If the laptop in under warranty just tell them the laptop died when you used it, there should be no problem. they will ask you to do some tests.

Dont waste your time try and fix ot yourself.

They will sort it out for you.

R

ferretuk
4th December, 2008, 04:25 AM
SEEN IT B4 CORRUPTED FILE SYSTEM DRIVER FOR GFX YOU SHOULD DL THE OS U WERE USING BOOT FROM IT ITLL DEFINATELY SOFTWARE PROB YOULL SEE AND I GOT THE PAPERWORK TO PROVE IT AND IF YOU DECIDE TO RETURN TO SHOP BE INSISTENT ON HARDWARE FAILURE IT WONT BE SCREEN AS BROKEN ONES GO BLACK LOL