PDA

View Full Version : knocking on right hand lock

gmb45
23rd August, 2010, 06:05 PM
ive got a citroen ax 1997, when ive got a lot of right hand lock on theres a knocking coming form what sounds like the front passenger side, now it cant be the drive shafts because their new both sides, within the last month, it cant be the wheel bearings or the mechanic would have noticed when changing them, he also checked the track rod ends and ball joints and said their ok, there isnt any anti roll bar so cant be that, but he did say there some play in the passenger side shock absorber so could it be this causing it ? the mechanic said dont worry bout it cause everything looks ok underneath, but its annoying, can any one shed some light on this prob please, cheers. :)

smirnoff_rules
23rd August, 2010, 06:15 PM
is it a constant knock .. ie knock knock knock all the time on that lock . and was it there before the shaft was changed

gmb45
23rd August, 2010, 06:22 PM
is it a constant knock .. ie knock knock knock all the time on that lock . and was it there before the shaft was changed
no it dont knock all the time its mainly knocks when the road is a bit uneven on right hand lock, it dont knock on the other lock, the noise was there before i had the shafts changed. the shock absorbers still work ok. when it does knock it is a constant knock.

Liteace
23rd August, 2010, 07:17 PM
I dont know what sort of shocks or inserts that has on it but if it does have inserts make sure the BIG nut that holds the shock into the leg is super tight, when you say "some play in the passenger side shock absorber" play where, is the rod moving from side to side ??? also check that the shock top nut where it goes through the top plate is tight and the rubbers are not worn, it may have a single nut and sandwich plates or 3 bolts that hold the strut to the chassis

gmb45
23rd August, 2010, 07:39 PM
I dont know what sort of shocks or inserts that has on it but if it does have inserts make sure the BIG nut that holds the shock into the leg is super tight, when you say "some play in the passenger side shock absorber" play where, is the rod moving from side to side ??? also check that the shock top nut where it goes through the top plate is tight and the rubbers are not worn, it may have a single nut and sandwich plates or 3 bolts that hold the strut to the chassis
not sure where the play is im just going by what the machanic told me, i will have another look see if i can see owt, just had a look cant really see owt, or feel any play anywhere, so do you think the shocker is the most likely cause ?

z786
23rd August, 2010, 07:54 PM
sounds like a ball joint

gmb45
23rd August, 2010, 07:57 PM
sounds like a ball joint
hmmmm dont you think the mechanic would have seen a bad ball joint when he changed the drive shaft ?

Liteace
23rd August, 2010, 07:58 PM
hmmmm dont you think the mechanic would have seen a bad ball joint when he changed the drive shaft ?

Yep I would think so when you have to split it to, as you say change the shaft

z786
23rd August, 2010, 08:01 PM
come to think of it, dont these have hydraulic suspension?

Liteace
23rd August, 2010, 08:03 PM
Not the AX dont, is the little car, your thinking of the BX

gmb45
23rd August, 2010, 08:04 PM
gas filled i think, so what do u lot think ? the mechanic says dont worry about it cause every thing looks safe enough underneath, the mot i due in 6 month, so should i wait till then and see if they pick the problem up, i dont want to spend any more money yet unless i got to. but if i leave it will it get worse ? and maybe cause other probs. paying up on the mot i can accept that.

smirnoff_rules
23rd August, 2010, 08:18 PM
come to think of it, dont these have hydraulic suspension?

we can all see who spends all day doing mileage corrections lol

Liteace
23rd August, 2010, 08:20 PM
gas filled i think, so what do u lot think ? the mechanic says dont worry about it cause every thing looks safe enough underneath, the mot i due in 6 month, so should i wait till then and see if they pick the problem up, i dont want to spend any more money yet unless i got to. but if i leave it will it get worse ? and maybe cause other probs. paying up on the mot i can accept that.

what he's going to have to do is check the play in the piston rod, problem is with the spring on its hard to check , also check the nut 1st then check the top mount

gmb45
23rd August, 2010, 08:28 PM
ok , so do you think it is the shocker ? we can rule out ball joints, drive shafts, wheel bearings, owt to do with steering, brakes, so that only leaves the shocker, if it is this do you think its safe to carry on driving the car ? remember the shocker still works ok. the mechanic said he cant really check it with out taking it out.

cactikid
23rd August, 2010, 08:30 PM
would have thought there was an anti roll bar on front and drop link arms which go and knock when worn on cobblestones
and hard lock knocking would have thought cv joint,any free play with wheel when jacked up,also check for play in steering arm as we seem to be replacing loads lately,dont forget to check the rear also as sounds can fool you.

bounce the car on level ground any knocking

gmb45
23rd August, 2010, 08:35 PM
would have thought there was an anti roll bar on front and drop link arms which go and knock when worn on cobblestones
and hard lock knocking would have thought cv joint,any free play with wheel when jacked up,also check for play in steering arm as we seem to be replacing loads lately,dont forget to check the rear also as sounds can fool you.

bounce the car on level ground any knocking
no anti roll bar m8, brand new drive shafts m8 both sides, no play in steering, not checked back end yet, and yes the mechanic mentioned about sounds can be decieving. no knocking on level ground.

smirnoff_rules
23rd August, 2010, 08:37 PM
l just remembered l had one of these in a few months back and they had used and normal bolt as a pinch bolt and it wasnt holding the ball joint in tight , could only see the movement on the ground with the weight of the car . and that knocked all the time

the bolt was tight but joint moved sideways

Liteace
23rd August, 2010, 08:39 PM
Also check where the strut fits the hub are they not like fords where it slides in and 1 large bolt clamps it in

gmb45
23rd August, 2010, 08:50 PM
im getting a bit lost here tomorrow i will take wheel off and have another look, go round every nut and bolt i can find. any one live in nottingham who can have a look for me ?

Meat-Head
23rd August, 2010, 09:42 PM
we can all see who spends all day doing mileage corrections lol

Think you mean the milage INcorrections.... The milage is correct, untill he INcorrects them.

GMB45 As for a garage in your area, look at the PM i sent you a month ago.

FANTASTIC guy, if you have deleted it, will PM you the user.

NB:- Not sure if the user will like having his location pointed out.

I'll send again if you want

Meat-Head
23rd August, 2010, 10:41 PM
Not going to say too much without checking with that member first, but take a digital camera, with you (and a blank USB stick).

You can take photos of the faulty part, and if that member is willing you can upload them in this thread.

SOUND bloke.

Meat-Head
15th September, 2010, 06:11 PM
Did you get this fixed?

Didn't get any abuse from that other member, so assume he sorted it.

Liteace
15th September, 2010, 07:24 PM
Maybe he got carried away with the digital camera and was taking pic of the lady's arses instead and then forgot to upload to a safe place in a folder on the PC then his missis went to use that camera and now the citroen ax is wedged where its not meant to be

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/members/44003-liteace/albums/saxo/3874-pms1.jpg

gmb45
15th September, 2010, 07:31 PM
Did you get this fixed?

Didn't get any abuse from that other member, so assume he sorted it.
not yet m8, got pm from dik ;) im gunna leave it till the mot at the beginning of feb so not long to wait, garage bloke said dont worry bout it, so if the mot picks it up will get it done then, bit short of beer tokens atm, will be giving dik a bell if it fails on it.

gmb45
30th September, 2010, 05:20 AM
well went to see dk member dik he spent half hour one day checking the shocker and found a bit of play in a mounting at the top, took it back next day and he took the shocker out, every thing is sound apart from the bit of play in the mounting, so replaced it and put it all back together, test drove it and ~~~~ me the knocking is still there, although ide say its about 50% better than it was, funny thing tho the car started to like creak when breaking before dik took it to bits now its ok :top: and there was vibration on the steering wheel, thats gone now :hmmmm: as dik said before he looked at it its probably one of them things that cant be traced, so im going to have to live with it, the work did cure 2 probs so was worth the time, and i also found out a tyre had a split in it when it was on the ramp ( ~~~~ing part worn tyre i had put on, ~~~~ them in future ) so all in all was really a good day. ( the thing that was bothering most is, is it safe, well now i know for sure :) )

i found dik a top, 100%, genuine, helpful, very good with cars bloke, and what he charged me for the job i dont know why he bothered lol mgiht as well been free lol, anyway hes got himself another customer with me, and i will be recommending him to other peeps, cheers dik :top:

Meat-Head
30th September, 2010, 07:46 AM
put it all back together, test drove it and ~~~~ me the knocking is still there, although ide say its about 50% better than it was, funny thing tho the car started to like creak when breaking before dik took it to bits now its ok :top: and there was vibration on the steering wheel, thats gone now :hmmmm: i also found out a tyre had a split in it when it was on the ramp ( ~~~~ing part worn tyre i had put on, ~~~~ them in future )

1) You didn't except ANY member of DK to be able to fix a French car that's
more than 3 years old in one hit did ya, div

2) Part worn tyre, no that would have been split by the teenage dirtbag fitting the tyre - lots of part worns come from 'service centres'
you buy a new car, take it back, these people put new tyres on - that
it don't need, you buy them - should say 'part worn' permantly on the outter edge

3) In this is case, it's not who you know, but what DK members know
who lol

dik
30th September, 2010, 12:50 PM
That ~~~~ed tyre that was about to burst would have been causing the vibration, and glad to know we cured some of the problems :congrats:

Furax
30th September, 2010, 06:19 PM
Few things spring to mind that might be for future use.

Has it had any new wishbones? Mk1 ax ones look identical to the mk1 flat style ones except the balljoint is smaller...

Did you check the taper on the driveshaft? The Ax and mk2 saxo ones are pretty much identical except the end of the shaft that goes into the hub has a slightly different taper, usually runins the wheel bearing over time.

I do alot of work on axs and have had funny knocks caused by the top mounts, loose shocks, loose wishbones, rear bush ovaled etc. If you need any spare bits, steering racks etc ive got a few kicking around. If i had to guess going off what youve said the top mount has had it.

Generally I fit saxo or 106 suspension to them, piece of piss to do and you get a serious breaking upgrade which is always good.

dik
1st October, 2010, 10:21 AM
Few things spring to mind that might be for future use.

Has it had any new wishbones? Mk1 ax ones look identical to the mk1 flat style ones except the balljoint is smaller...

Did you check the taper on the driveshaft? The Ax and mk2 saxo ones are pretty much identical except the end of the shaft that goes into the hub has a slightly different taper, usually runins the wheel bearing over time.

I do alot of work on axs and have had funny knocks caused by the top mounts, loose shocks, loose wishbones, rear bush ovaled etc. If you need any spare bits, steering racks etc ive got a few kicking around. If i had to guess going off what youve said the top mount has had it.

Generally I fit saxo or 106 suspension to them, piece of piss to do and you get a serious breaking upgrade which is always good.
Ball joint is a good fit in the hub, car has had a wishbone, top mounting & drivehaft, shocker is good & tight in the strut, wishbone bushes are all good

Furax
1st October, 2010, 11:58 AM
How secure is the front bumper and wheel arch liner? Could it be that bouncing around?

dik
1st October, 2010, 01:47 PM
"How secure is the front bumper and wheel arch liner? Could it be that bouncing around?"

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=33426&stc=1&d=1285937193

gmb45
1st October, 2010, 04:43 PM
That ~~~~ed tyre that was about to burst would have been causing the vibration, and glad to know we cured some of the problems :congrats:
as meatloaf would say m8
YouTube - Meat Loaf - Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad

cactikid
1st October, 2010, 10:36 PM
how are your door hinges any movement?

Meat-Head
1st October, 2010, 10:43 PM
how are your door hinges any movement?

OFF TOPIC:

We had one of these bag's o shite in, tried to put it on the Cinese Liftmaster, and we decided to just put the front half on, and work from underneath, as it was a rotten piece of shite, could be doing an oasis - roll with it.

use some 'no nails' to fix bits of cotten to see if they snap as you drive, 'seal' the doors/bonnet.

gmb45
21st February, 2012, 06:19 PM
*update*

well finally got it sorteeeed :D after going thru 2 mots with this problem it was a bush on front n/s wishbone, its weird tho bout a month ago dik put me a new drive shaft in on the same side, we both seen how much play there was in this bush and it should have failed the mot on this a couple of weeks ago yet they passed it :hmmmm:

Meat-Head
21st February, 2012, 11:27 PM
Weird, was looking around the archives the other week, gave up looking.

Noting but thousands of empty stella bottles, all around the threads on the shelves.

Yet, you have come along and got one, no problem, is this becausrse your a mod?

gmb45
22nd February, 2012, 04:26 AM
Weird, was looking around the archives the other week, gave up looking.

Noting but thousands of empty stella bottles, all around the threads on the shelves.

Yet, you have come along and got one, no problem, is this becausrse your a mod?

;)........