PDA

View Full Version : flashing a dm 500hd HELP please

jordyspud
23rd August, 2010, 06:18 PM
hello ive just purchased a dm 500 hd and thought it would be the same as 500s to flash but no com port connection on the 500hd ive found software on the computer so it recognises the box but how do i flash and what image do i use????? thank you.....

Bulld0g
23rd August, 2010, 06:34 PM
You can flash it via your web browser but if you want to do it via usb connection have a read of this, found elsewhere :)

The DM500HD does not have a serial port. It has a mini USB port instead. When using dreamup, it expects to use a COM port to set the box in flash mode. This had me confused for a bit as the DreamMultimedia website did not have any explanation of how to get around this problem.
1. On the off-chance something might happen, I connected the mini USB (dreambox) to a USB port on my PC and got 'new hard found DM500HD'. I then let it install the software for the 'new hardware', which was reported as a 'composite device' with nothing in the name to indicate it was a dreambox. I let it go through all the installing software rubbish until it said ' new hard is installed succesfully'.
2. Connect your dreambox to the LAN - FLASHING USING THE SERIAL(USB) CONNECTION DOES NOT WORK But you have to have the USB also connected to use dreamup.
3. I switched off the dreambox.
4. I then opened dreamup and a new COM port had appeared (COM15). I selected this COM15 and clicked 'connect' at which point dreamup wanted me to switch on the dreambox.
4a. Tick the box 'Network Connection' and set up the correct IP addresses.
5. Switch on the dreambox. It will now upload the flash loader to the dreambox - wait.
6. Click 'Flash' and select the image you want to flash. Then wait until it reports it has completed flashing.

If the network does not connect for some reason, then you will get an error 'Bad Request 400' in the dreamup window. This will happen anytime you try to flash using only the USB connection. Remember to tick the box 'Use network' in dreamup.

sheiky
26th August, 2010, 10:39 AM
Hi all,

found this on another forum,all cred goes too digidude,

first make sure youre receiver is connected to your router, now kill the power, hold in the only button on the front of the receiver, and power it on

after about 20 seconds, youll notice the red.green lights are going wierd, this is an actual code that ill explain in a mo, but you can now let go of the button

your receiver has now gone into ###STOP### mode, has been issued an IP and is waiting to be flashed, now watch the lights, have a pen if you need one, and wait for the red and green to be on together

the green light will flash once, then a quick red flash, 9 greens, one red, 2 green, 1 red, 1 green, 1 red, 6 green, 1 red, 8 green, 1 red, (can anyone see where this is going yet )

the receiver has just flashed you some numbers, with a red flash as a marker between them, and its just told you the start of an IP address, 192 168

a long red flash is a zero, so my box now flashed one long red, another long red, 1 green, 1 quick red, one long red, 1 green, i fast red and 2 green

now the red and green come on together, and it starts over again

its just flashed out

192168001012 which translates to the IP 192.168.1.12

and typing this into a firefox window brings up the firmware upgrade screen, where you browse to the image, and 90 seconds later its on the receiver