PDA

View Full Version : Honda HIM 3pin cable

drdupery
1st September, 2010, 06:23 PM
I've encountered the strange situation.

I've HONDA HIM, in fact cloned one, but anyway it works perfectly including the last version of HDS.

I've also 16 pin to 3 pin cable, the Chinese guys kindly included it with HIM.
When I've tried to diagnose the vehicle using that cable I got no connection with the car error. I have access (time limited) to original 16 pin to 3 pin cable and it works perfectly with the clone, so I try to compare cables electrically, by now I didn't find any differences, at least using multimeter.
Some findings:
Pins 1 and 3 are used by HIM to identify that the cable is attached and there is no need to use CAN bus, it seems that they are simply shortened. Pin 16 - battery, Pin 5 - signal GND, 14 - data.

I didn't find why cloned cable doesn't work with both original and cloned HIM.

Can anyone confirm that no circuits are used inside original cable? It could be that some signal pull-up are used or something other, I've no time to continue research of original cable. I didn't make any cross pin tests and measurements.

p.s. all signals are coming to HIM PCB, there is no break in cable...

yellowstilo
1st September, 2010, 08:08 PM
I've encountered the strange situation.

I've HONDA HIM, in fact cloned one, but anyway it works perfectly including the last version of HDS.

I've also 16 pin to 3 pin cable, the Chinese guys kindly included it with HIM.
When I've tried to diagnose the vehicle using that cable I got no connection with the car error. I have access (time limited) to original 16 pin to 3 pin cable and it works perfectly with the clone, so I try to compare cables electrically, by now I didn't find any differences, at least using multimeter.
Some findings:
Pins 1 and 3 are used by HIM to identify that the cable is attached and there is no need to use CAN bus, it seems that they are simply shortened. Pin 16 - battery, Pin 5 - signal GND, 14 - data.

I didn't find why cloned cable doesn't work with both original and cloned HIM.

Can anyone confirm that no circuits are used inside original cable? It could be that some signal pull-up are used or something other, I've no time to continue research of original cable. I didn't make any cross pin tests and measurements.

p.s. all signals are coming to HIM PCB, there is no break in cable...

i just checked my 3-pins adapter cable from my Honda GDS3100 tablet tester -
it has the following connections:

3-pins pin 1 to pin 14 of obd female
pin 2 to pin 16
pin 3 to pin 5

obd female pin 1 + 3 connected
obd female resistor 33 kohm between pin 1 and 5.

i guess the resistor is for detecting which cable is connected - the 5-pins cable has a 270 kohm resistor between these pins.

drdupery
1st September, 2010, 08:54 PM
thank you for your reply, I think 33k resistor is omitted in cloned cable, I'll check it later.

confirmed, my cloned cable has no any resistor
again, thank you for making measurements!

RSwire
1st September, 2010, 11:58 PM
Wrong section guys, this is comm/ind/ag section.

drdupery
2nd September, 2010, 02:03 PM
probably wrong, let's moderators transfer to correct one...

drdupery
3rd September, 2010, 05:33 PM
The modified badly cloned cable by adding 33k resistor works perfectly. Test is passed.

drdupery
28th September, 2010, 05:23 PM
i just checked my 3-pins adapter cable from my Honda GDS3100 tablet tester -
it has the following connections:

3-pins pin 1 to pin 14 of obd female
pin 2 to pin 16
pin 3 to pin 5

obd female pin 1 + 3 connected
obd female resistor 33 kohm between pin 1 and 5.

i guess the resistor is for detecting which cable is connected - the 5-pins cable has a 270 kohm resistor between these pins.

Thank you again for that information. It helped me.
Could you please give connections for your 16 to 5 pin original cable? I've just received one from China and it probably wrong and needs modifications in order to work with HIM and of course it has no resistor 270k between 3+1 and 5 pins. Need to check other connections.

yellowstilo
28th September, 2010, 09:10 PM
16 to 5 pins cable of original GDS3100 Honda tester:

5 pins connector pin 1 to pin 14 of 16 pins conn.
pin 2 to pin 7
pin 3 to pin 15
pin 4 to pin 16
pin 5 to pin 5

pin 1 + 3 of 16 pins conn. are connected
resistor 270 kohm between pin 1 and 5 of 16 pins conn.

good luck!

guhsan80
11th November, 2010, 06:10 PM
can you give me the picture please how to modify the 3 pin cable

drdupery
11th November, 2010, 07:34 PM
The information yellowstilo provided is enough to make modifications. Thanks go to him.
I also can confirm that modified 5 pin cable works too.
All needed information is here in this thread.