PDA

View Full Version : BMW E60 530d Facelift - Backup of ECU?

doerrt
1st September, 2010, 09:56 PM
Hello,

I want to backup my ECU data (motor engine) of my BMW E60 530d Facelift.
The car will get an update - chip tuning.

Is it possible to make a backup with obd2 cable, which works with bmw inpa?

Thanks in advance,

lonegunmanxxl
3rd September, 2010, 10:18 AM
sorry but it is not possible. To backup Engine ECU data (not coding data) you will need a special diaginterface like kwp2000 etc.
rgds

doerrt
3rd September, 2010, 01:39 PM
Ok, thanks for the informations.
Is this right for the E60 530d?

KWP2000 Plus ECU flasher (http://www.obd2shopping.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=17&product_id=140&gclid=CMSsybSj66MCFUiU3wodohpS3w)

oep
3rd September, 2010, 02:09 PM
If your car is going to be tuned, who ever is going to do this, first is going to read it.
So, ask this tuner to save your file and copy it on stick.

IS this too hard??

doerrt
3rd September, 2010, 09:11 PM
If your car is going to be tuned, who ever is going to do this, first is going to read it.
So, ask this tuner to save your file and copy it on stick.

IS this too hard??

No, it isnt.
But so, I could have a backup and then, after chipping, could I made an backup again.

miha99
4th September, 2010, 12:10 PM
To get full flash 100% use BDM.

doerrt
5th September, 2010, 09:15 PM
Could you tell me anything about BDM?

miha99
6th September, 2010, 09:03 PM
For exaple you can use Xprog-m cheap option clone this device will read hole content from control unit 100%.But you must open ecu and connect also to suply, if you need any help just ask.

doerrt
7th September, 2010, 07:33 AM
For exaple you can use Xprog-m cheap option clone this device will read hole content from control unit 100%.But you must open ecu and connect also to suply, if you need any help just ask.

Ok, but a solution to read the ECU on the OBDII should be easier for me.

AyceeDeeCee
7th September, 2010, 08:05 AM
Not possible for a full backup as you have asked.

aditzi29
7th September, 2010, 12:16 PM

Hi,

With Xprog you must unsoled the IC from main board ?
With BDM is the same situation, must open ECU... ?

Thaks

doerrt
7th September, 2010, 06:26 PM
Not possible for a full backup as you have asked.

Ok, that sounds not good.
But how does a chip tuning works?
In germany, the most dealers, does the obdII connection use?
What did I need for do this?

miha99
9th September, 2010, 08:35 AM
No need to unsolder any IC! Just connect xprog-m with 7 wires to BOSCH system programming pads inside ECU (caa. 10 minutes of work)!

cammy25
10th September, 2010, 08:09 AM
Just be aware that WHEN bmw edc get an update ,ALSO MPC CPU is updated and not only flash!!!!

aditzi29
14th September, 2010, 08:29 AM
Just be aware that WHEN bmw edc get an update ,ALSO MPC CPU is updated and not only flash!!!!

That means that we must read/write Flash + MPC CPU ?
With BDM ?

doerrt
14th September, 2010, 02:29 PM

I does only know, that after flashing the car at bmw the ecu files after chip tuning are deleted.

Thorsten

exe123
14th September, 2010, 02:37 PM
go to some good chiptuner in germany. some of them offer you cheap upgrade after you went to BMW service and tuning is gone and you can also get the original file (non tuned readout) from the tuner on cd or usb.

pasonjayne
14th September, 2010, 02:37 PM
I does only know, that after flashing the car at bmw the ecu files after chip tuning are deleted.

Thorsten

You want backup to reflash car after it comes out the dealer. As others have quoted only way to make full back up of the ECU is to use BDM. This will save, Flash, Serial EEPROM and MCU.

If dealer reflashes the ECU I would re read new data and re program that copy not load old modded software back in, could cause you problems.

doerrt
14th September, 2010, 02:39 PM
Ok, I will give it up!

Thanks,

TribesMac
14th September, 2010, 09:13 PM
Hi, sorry to hijack this thread but I have similar question. I want to make a backup of ECU Audi A4 PD130, EDC15...

Is there any way to make a full read over OBD? AFAIK there is no option like BDM for EDC15, what are available options for full ECU backup?

Thanks!

aidyk
14th September, 2010, 10:10 PM
for a4 130pd ecu is edc15 easy read with kwp or galleto etc.
only need flash memory read.
for bmw 530 d ecu is edc 16 different system with bdm pads. a4 doesnt have these with edc15.

regards..

TribesMac
15th September, 2010, 06:44 AM
So if undrestand this correctly, even Galleto makes "full read" of ECU content? So I can flash any EDC15 ECU from car with similar engine with those data and it will start with new ECU?

aidyk
15th September, 2010, 10:36 AM
no no no not at all...
if you flash car of same make, model, ecu number and software number yes you can use other cars data. it does not include eeprom data immo etc, just engine operating data flash memory in your case 29f400 chip.
if sw number is not the same it sometimes can still be used but cruise control or climate control etc may not work. so always advisable to use same hw and sw the same..
better to always make new tuning for each car using original read..

regards

TribesMac
15th September, 2010, 12:02 PM
I dont want to transfer the tuned file to the other car. I want to trasfer the whole ECU content to other ECU including eprom, immo. So there would be 2 ECUs with same content and that both would work on the same car.

That can be done with BDM on EDC16 AFAIK, but there is no BDM for EDC15.

I just need a whole backup of the ECU...

aidyk
15th September, 2010, 01:03 PM
just swap 24c0@ immo chip if you have got another ecu with same details...

cammy25
17th September, 2010, 07:37 AM
Guys what is this??

i thought its about BMW and EDC16?!!
its too confusing for other members.

aidyk
17th September, 2010, 09:40 AM
hi
yes Tribesmac asked about edc15 in comparison to edc16
sorry bout that should have thought. :(

miha99
20th September, 2010, 06:33 PM
TribesMac (http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/members/141647-tribesmac/) if you want to read hole content from ecu EDC15P (flash and eprom) via OBD you can do this operation with commander.

rappttor
25th September, 2010, 05:53 PM
yes it can, but the cost of that tools is equal to the one of the car....so better get a "new" car..

leisichael
25th September, 2010, 09:13 PM
Hi,

you can clone only the ecu with a bdm, the inpa is a development tool from bmw and its only for diagnostic,winkfp is the flashtool but with it you cannot read ecu?s,only falshing is possible.

Hello,

I want to backup my ECU data (motor engine) of my BMW E60 530d Facelift.
The car will get an update - chip tuning.

Is it possible to make a backup with obd2 cable, which works with bmw inpa?

Thanks in advance,