PDA

View Full Version : I just can't work this out.

relo2k
4th September, 2010, 11:43 AM
Ok guys let me know if you have a solution please.

I have a 3 mobile broadband dongle. connected directly to my pc.

I want to go online with my PS3 by connecting it to the pc using a Ethernet cable and sharing the internet from the pc.

However when I connect the cable to my pc and ps3 the LAN status keeps saying "identifying" then changes to "enabled" then changes to "network cable unplugged" and it does that on a loop. I have turned pc off for a while and ps3 and then back on still nothing.

am i missing something? could my cable be damged? it is brand new as of yesterday.

could my lan card be faulty?

if anyone has a site with clear step by step instruction on what I want to do please post it.

many thanks in advanced.

Cronus
4th September, 2010, 01:17 PM
I'd follow the guide at the bottom of this article:

http://www.broadbandgenie.co.uk/blog/20080513490/connect-to-xbox-live-with-a-usb-3g-modem

Its for a 360 but the pc part of it should be the same as for a ps3. Follow it down to Step 5 and then try the ps3 again.

relo2k
5th September, 2010, 10:01 AM
thanks, great site.

did everything but for some reason, my pc wont let me share internet connection,

and my 3 mobile broadband falls under the dial up cattegory in the internet options. so perhabs it recognises it as dial up which i guess cant be shared.

Cronus
5th September, 2010, 11:35 AM
What OS are you using?

1- If you're on XP, navigate to your "Connect To" panel where you can see your usb modem connection, e.g "Vodafone Mobile Connect". And if you're on vista, go to network and Sharing.

2- If on XP, right-click on your internet connection and select properties. On properties, click on 'Advanced' and tick the box that says 'Allow other users to Connect through this computers internet connection'

3- You will get a little message that comes up that says that you must redial your internet connection.

4- No head over to your PS3. Make sure you've got the ethernet plugged in properly, and scroll to the 'Network settings' tab, under 'Settings'. Select "Internet Connection Settings", and click X. From here it will ask for either an easy or Custom connection. Select the easy setting, and from there it should detect your IP Address, and Clarify an internet connection from your pc to your ps3. Save these settings, and you are ready to go.

Or you can try this:

Have you tried using Opendns OpenDNS > Use OpenDNS (http://www.opendns.com/start/)

1) open the properties of the 3g connection, go to sharing, then click allow other network users to connect through this computers connection..
2) go to networking along the top, double click internet protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
3) then click use the following dns server addresses - 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 then apply.
4) connect to the internet, then connect the ethernet cable

relo2k
5th September, 2010, 12:18 PM
im using vista,

im going to try these 2 steps now and let you know the results.

many thanks.

relo2k
5th September, 2010, 12:33 PM
no luck, no matter what I do i cnt get past the bit where i go to properties in my internet connection and click share.

because after i click ok it comes up with this error

"cannot enable shared access. error 1003: cannot complete this function"

im going to ring my ISP and ask for my username and password and try and creating a new connection from scratch see if that works.

i let u know guys.

Cronus
5th September, 2010, 12:43 PM
Make sure you have correct TCP/IP by using ipconfig /all.
Make sure that your have selected the correct interface as the shared connection.
If you are trying to configure Connection Sharing manually for a connection, make sure that the home network adapter does not have ICF enabled. If ICF is enabled, you must either disable it before you can configure Connection Sharing on the external connection or use the Network Setup Wizard to enable ICS.
Check the system log and the Nsw.log file for errors that are related to ICS configuration. To view the contents of Nsw.log, click Start, click Run, type nsw.log, and then click OK.

The highlighted one is the important one. Try that first.

relo2k
5th September, 2010, 02:51 PM
i found out that 3 mobile broadband can no be shared.

read 2 paragraphs here. i just made a bid for this device on ebay.

Turn your broadband dongle into a Wi-Fi router | News | TechRadar UK (http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/turn-your-broadband-dongle-into-a-wi-fi-router-475901)