PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Broadband Cut out!

davidharvey75
26th February, 2008, 05:30 PM
I have 2mb virgin broadband, with a sb5100 motorola modem. The signal can drop at anytime and it can happen once a day or 10 times a day. It was attached through a splitter. One end to the modem one end for a dbox. The modem then ran to a lynksys wireless modem and then to the computer.

I disconnected the splitter and ran the cable from the box(on the wall) to the modem to the router to the computer. still cutting out.

Any ideas on what the problem could be.

Devilfish
26th February, 2008, 05:40 PM
No internet! I'd die!

When it cuts out, are the 4 green lights and 1 blinking orange light still on/blinking?

If no, then it could be a coax or cable company problem.

If yes, then it could be an ethernet cable or PC problem.

I would disconnect the coax completely and swap it round, i.e. connection at wall now goes into modem. Make sure there's no kinks in it. Check that the connectors are on properly.

You could also connect straight to PC with USB cable and run like that for a week or so to test. That would rule out the router and ethernet cable as a problem is it's still cutting out.

When it cuts out, open a browser and type in 192.168.100.1. That should take you to the modem config page. Check the status and make sure it's operational and that there's no errors. Check the logs to see if anything gives a clue.

Sounds like a bitch to try and debug.

davidharvey75
26th February, 2008, 06:05 PM
Cheers for the response. The internet connection only goes down for a short while i. 1 minute but if this happens all the time then it can be really annoying.
But thanks again.

davidharvey75
28th February, 2008, 01:38 AM
called virgin today well yesterday. they say it's a modem fault. so they are coming out today between 8-12. Hopefully i'll be able to use the download manager to it's full potential with rapidshare.
Let you all know how it goes.

Devilfish
28th February, 2008, 01:57 AM
Nice one! Tell them you want upgraded to 10MB for the hassle it's caused you.

Remember and hide the dbox2 if you still use it. ;)

davidharvey75
28th February, 2008, 06:48 PM
i better get upgraded. stayed in all morning.called them and they said that as there is a known "local" connection problem in the area, the computer automatically cancells all engineer call outs!!!!! Still nobody phonibg to tell me this. So after moaning at the guy the only thing is for me to call again on monday!!! if i don't get a new modem on tuesday at the latest i'll be expecting "good will" payments upgrades THE LOT!!!

Devilfish
28th February, 2008, 07:01 PM
FFS - I feel a 20MB request coming on lol.

oneqi
12th April, 2008, 03:50 PM
but i had the same problem last year, the internet connection would die for a short period, but it continually happened .. engineer was called out and the modem was replaced .. TWICE ! but it still happened .. i then started checking some internet forums and soon found out that it is actually the network thats the problem (think they sellotaped the wires together) and until they sort it out (i.e. you complain) it is likely to continue to happen. The engineer/customer service would not confirm this. Good news though (1) this year the internet still cuts out but nowhere as often as it used to (very rarely) and (2) if you are on the 4mb package they are going to upgrade you to 10mb but no one knows when ! .. i think if the modem does not work out you should ring customer services and ask for a discount in your package

ninjaman
15th April, 2008, 03:48 PM
I have 2mb virgin broadband, with a sb5100 motorola modem. The signal can drop at anytime and it can happen once a day or 10 times a day. It was attached through a splitter. One end to the modem one end for a dbox. The modem then ran to a lynksys wireless modem and then to the computer.

I disconnected the splitter and ran the cable from the box(on the wall) to the modem to the router to the computer. still cutting out.

Any ideas on what the problem could be.

It could be that the mac has been cloned by someone local to you and the mac addresses are clashing.

alec
15th April, 2008, 06:29 PM
I had that problem when using skype a few years ago.
It was driving me nuts. I was put through to someone in India who hadn't got
a clue. So I told them if they don't send a engineer in the next few days. I would be
leaving. A day later a engineer phoned and asked what modern I had, after
telling him - he said that was the problem. Apparently it something to do with the way they now send the signal. He came round a little later and changed it,
in ten minutes and left. I suppose in a few years time the call centre will probably be in Poland. You would have thought a simple thing like that, would be on their web site.

davidharvey75
15th April, 2008, 10:43 PM
Just to let you all know i eventually got the engineer out and he swapped the modem and it's been plain sailing so far. Although looks wise the new modem looks like a 10 year old designed it. But it does the trick so, it will do for me.

Thanks for the comments and help

daz1uk
17th April, 2008, 06:03 PM
I too have virgin broadband and was having problems, I upgraded to 4mb and still having probs, I think its just virgin throttling my downloads.