PDA

View Full Version : new to kv :)

mrmarr
9th September, 2010, 08:05 PM
hi again guys :) i sold my starview hd lan :yeah: wich bought me a kva780 lan :yeah: :yeah: :sweet: so im here with the kv setup like so :-plugged into mains and switched off (checked it & it works) and a 9pin to usb on com4, i think im nearly there i just got a few Q's
1, can i save the .bin thats on it now ? (justin case)
2, do i need to plug into a tv to see ?
3,my area was nagra'd months ago will it work ?

mrmarr
9th September, 2010, 09:03 PM
well guys iv followed the tut but when i click start after turning it off i get "the downloading is not requested" ?

well this sucks i thought id read other posts with this prob but no joy for them either ?

any 1 ? ? ?

mrmarr
9th September, 2010, 09:53 PM
this is straight from the box does it need setting up for fta first ? i cant beleive it a few other posts say its a doddle to setup so why this sad error ???
guess im gona order a serial port for pc then ? is it worth my time does this work in a nag3 area ?

barrowmanandrew
9th September, 2010, 10:05 PM
m8, if your getting the "download not requested screen"
it means your box is not talkin to your pc......
you have probably got you seriel port number wrong....
in order to help, need following info:
1. does your pc have a seriel connection or are you using a usb to seriel converter
2. do you have the drivers for converters
3. whick operating system are you running?

mrmarr
9th September, 2010, 10:16 PM
cheers barrowmanandrew :)

im using a serial to usb, no serial port (new mobo)
im on win 7

what do you mean by " drivers for converters" ? i have installed the driver for usb to prolific serial cable and its defo on comport 4 (it shows me in manager)

barrowmanandrew
9th September, 2010, 10:46 PM
reboot your computer
then plug in your usb to seriel converter.
an icon should appear on your taskbar b(bottom right).
if you float your mouse over it, it will give you correct port number
when you uise a usb to seriel converter, you need a driver. normally these converters come with a disk

mrmarr
9th September, 2010, 10:55 PM
i will try that tmoz pal iv packed it away for cod now :)
ill do that n let you know how it goes
thanks for the help

mrmarr
11th September, 2010, 05:06 PM
nope isnt working iv been through it loads of times the usb/serial cable is defo being seen iv had it on com4 /6 but it doesnt load the .bin just says "the downloading is not requested" ? im gona keep tryin while i order an internal serial adapter tho ...
gtd

cactikid
11th September, 2010, 08:34 PM
if you follow the tut,box has to be off then press download and power box on it should load.
also does the file need extraction first as in a zip file/rar file.

mrmarr
11th September, 2010, 10:13 PM
il try it off b4 i press dl now m8 its always been on ...
worth a shot :) cheers

left it turned off click dl turned it on and still that narly message pops up ?
and nah man its un-rared does using a usb/serial make a diif cos im about to order a serial card ?

DW190
12th September, 2010, 12:50 AM
il try it off b4 i press dl now m8 its always been on ...
worth a shot :) cheers

left it turned off click dl turned it on and still that narly message pops up ?
and nah man its un-rared does using a usb/serial make a diif cos im about to order a serial card ?

As long as its live any will do.

Have look here: http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f99/cant-open-serial-portcom-159636/#post762154

mrmarr
12th September, 2010, 02:03 PM
well i tried it on my other system with xp on it but no luck ! the box turns on (says on) then 0000 i havent had it plugged into a tv yet tho, dont know whats wrong here i have it on port 3 on other pc setup driver from disc and tried all your ins again only to get that damn error "the downloading is not requested" :( gutted

that drop down box saying "fta-model or old-model" do i change that at all ???? aah no guess im just clutching at straws now :(

im baffled

DW190
12th September, 2010, 04:54 PM
well i tried it on my other system with xp on it but no luck ! the box turns on (says on) then 0000 i havent had it plugged into a tv yet tho, dont know whats wrong here i have it on port 3 on other pc setup driver from disc and tried all your ins again only to get that damn error "the downloading is not requested" :( gutted

that drop down box saying "fta-model or old-model" do i change that at all ???? aah no guess im just clutching at straws now :(

im baffled

Just recap on what you should be doing:

On the STB Editor click on
green download
code
send
open
select your bin file and double click on it
the route to it should now appear in the choose a filename box
select your comm port
press start
power on the box.

I'm using windows 7 but cant remember if I got the drivers off the net or the disc.

http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31

mrmarr
12th September, 2010, 08:03 PM
im using DownTool_0927, you say "On the STB Editor click on" ? is that on the set top box gui ? because i havent had it plugged into a tv yet, at all ! just tried to flash it straight away . do i need to plug it into my tv and set it up first ???
using downtool i am doing the following "box is off i am clicking the green download button then selecting bin Kryptview_A780_24082010, choosing the port my pc says the cable is on, and pressing start then turn on the stb .... and again with the dl'ing error ???

just down'd a diff driver "PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v1210" il see if that works ??? worth a shot ...
nah its the same driver package i had iv just tried a reinstall of it

hearts
12th September, 2010, 08:10 PM
No you don't need it connected to a TV before flashing.

Try switching the box off on again after pressing "download"

We are asuming here that it didn't come flashed. Although that shouldn't make any difference.

Are you definitely using a "null modem cable"

cactikid
12th September, 2010, 08:18 PM
pc with xp and com port should work with null modem cable as this has a cross cable for flashing look here.
http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f99/kryptview-firmware-loading-guide-tutorial-42524/

also read last few posts

mrmarr
12th September, 2010, 09:08 PM
hearts im using a usb to serial cable not a dedicated com port as my new mobo aint got 1, no its not flashed its brand new ?
cactikid i have win 7 (tried it on xp too) i have a null mod cable i used it for xbox's b4 the new mobo but now have to use the usb to serial , wich works fine just not for this so im gona buy a internel card got 1 priced at ?15

i cant beleive it man

im actually using a usb to serial with a gender changer attached if it makes a diff ?

barrowmanandrew
12th September, 2010, 09:35 PM
m8, that could be your problem,
you are not using a null modem cable.... the pins are wired diffrently i think..
a null modem cable should alsways be female to female....
before you go spending ?15 on a board , i would spend a couple of quid on the right cable...
have a read on this site (http://networking.ringofsaturn.com/RemoteAccess/NullModem.php)
i'd bet money you are using an rs232 seriel cable which is wired totally diffrently....

mrmarr
12th September, 2010, 09:45 PM
i was a little gutd when i got the usb to serial cable and it had a male end cos so does the back of the box ! SO i bought the wrong usb to serial eh
so i should look for a usb to female serial ???
please give me a name or link to the correct usb to serial cable m8 :)

DW190
12th September, 2010, 09:52 PM
i was a little gutd when i got the usb to serial cable and it had a male end cos so does the back of the box ! SO i bought the wrong usb to serial eh
so i should look for a usb to female serial ???
please give me a name or link to the correct usb to serial cable m8 :)

This is not the cheapest but is one of the better ones:

You will also need a null modem cable.

USB to Serial RS-232 DB9 Adaptor Converter Cable/Lead on eBay (end time 30-Sep-10 17:10:46 BST) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-Serial-RS-232-DB9-Adaptor-Converter-Cable-Lead-/290470258180?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item43a1606604)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DB9-Female-DB9-F-9-pin-RS232-Serial-Null-Modem-Cable-2m-/330462186682?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item4cf114ccba

barrowmanandrew
12th September, 2010, 09:53 PM
m8, have a look at that link i posted, it shows null modem wiring, if you scroll down it shows rs232 wiring...

this is the cable (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DB9-Female-DB9-F-9-pin-RS232-Serial-Null-Modem-Cable-2m-/330462186682?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item4cf114ccba), you're after....
m8 the usb to seriel covertor should have a male end, your null modem cable should be female to female...

satsmo
12th September, 2010, 09:53 PM
You need to use the adapter in conjuction with the null modem cable.

Sounds like you are trying it with just the adapter and gender changer direct from your pc to kv.

mrmarr
12th September, 2010, 09:57 PM

Sounds like you are trying it with just the adapter and gender changer direct from your pc to kv.

yep :)
so usb to null modem cable :blush: damn ...

il try it now :)

also barrowmanandrew (http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/members/99100-barrowmanandrew/) and DW190 (http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/members/2050-dw190/) thanks guys i have both those 2 cables already , im just gona join em lol and try again :)

barrowmanandrew
12th September, 2010, 09:59 PM

i think we might have made a breakthru here lol lol
hurry up and try it, i'm dying to know lol lol

mrmarr
12th September, 2010, 10:04 PM
:(
so i now have a null mod cable attached to a gender changer attached to a usb to serial and still no joy :(

barrowmanandrew
12th September, 2010, 10:09 PM
:(
so i now have a null mod cable attached to a gender changer attached to a usb to serial and still no joy :(

is your null modem cable male to female or female to female?

satsmo
12th September, 2010, 10:11 PM
There should be no gender changer required? USB to USB port - Male DB9 end attaches to one end of the null modem cable - other end of null modem to kv.

mrmarr
12th September, 2010, 10:13 PM
male to female !
i guess i wasnt ready and still need a fem to fem null mod cable .
i was fine with my old mobo iv had nowt but probs with this fancy new GIGABYTE mobo, "damn"

barrowmanandrew
12th September, 2010, 10:14 PM
that is not a null modem cable, it should be female to female....
look here (

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DB9-Female-DB9-F-9-pin-RS232-Serial-Null-Modem-Cable-2m-/330462186682?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item4cf114ccba)

mrmarr
12th September, 2010, 10:15 PM
lol i will order 1 and pester you guys when it arrives in a few days or fingers crossed it will work :)

VERY MANY THANKS :):):)

barrowmanandrew
12th September, 2010, 10:17 PM
lol i will order 1 and pester you guys when it arrives in a few days or fingers crossed it will work :)
go buy one from maplins tomorrow ya stinger ~~~~er and put us all out our misery... lol lol lol

mrmarr
12th September, 2010, 10:19 PM
ROFL LOL LOL LOL I WILL CHEERS GUYS :)

barrowmanandrew
12th September, 2010, 10:21 PM
ROFL LOL LOL LOL I WILL CHEERS GUYS :)
lol lol remember to post results, suspense is killing me.. lol lol

DW190
12th September, 2010, 10:24 PM
Wished he lived nearer I would have flashed for him in seconds.

That sounds a bit iffy.

cactikid
12th September, 2010, 10:25 PM
post 1 second photo shows null modem and usb adapter used together.

mrmarr
12th September, 2010, 10:31 PM
I JUST ORDERED IT
DB9 Female DB9 F 9 pin RS232 Cable

a few days wait and il ease your troubled mind (hopefully)

cactikid - i saw the photo and thought it was 1 or the other ?
DW190 - LOL
barrowmanandrew - i certainly will m8y

a thanks to you all :) speak to you l8r guys

barrowmanandrew
12th September, 2010, 10:38 PM
Wished he lived nearer I would have flashed for him in seconds.

That sounds a bit iffy.
pmsl m8, need to watch how we phrase those things lol lol

DW190
12th September, 2010, 10:42 PM
pmsl m8, need to watch how we phrase those things lol lol

He does sound like an exceedingely nice boy though. :)

mrmarr
12th September, 2010, 10:45 PM
ha ha ha :)
lol lol

(i got kids n wife)

lol lol lol

DW190
12th September, 2010, 10:52 PM
ha ha ha :)
lol lol

(i got kids n wife)

lol lol lol

I got a wife and kids as well. Both useless, neither of them can flash boxes either. Have to do em all myself.

mrmarr
12th September, 2010, 11:58 PM
terrible these modern day girls i had to show mine how to cook :)

DW190
13th September, 2010, 05:16 PM
terrible these modern day girls i had to show mine how to cook :)

Still bloody showing mine and we been wed 35 years today. I could have done two murders and been freed twice in all that time.

mrmarr
14th September, 2010, 01:54 AM
hey hey:congrats:happy anniversary to you both :)

i havent quite made the plunge yet but 14 yrs and 3 kids is enuf commitment :rock::rock::rock:

mrmarr
23rd September, 2010, 03:31 PM
well after being offline for a week i managed to get a rs232 fem to fem and have tried all week to do this box allas i cannot do it ??? im baffled ???

i dont understand why it wont do it 4 me all my parts work ( lol ) and iv done this type of thing b4 but WAAAAAAHHHHHH WAAAAAHHHHHH :( :( :(

barrowmanandrew
23rd September, 2010, 03:37 PM
welcome back...
is this what you have bought?
Serial RS232 DB9 pin Connection Cable, Female to: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

can you provide link to where you got your cable?>

mrmarr
23rd September, 2010, 04:23 PM
i cant find the e-mail but thats the 1 alright :) or :( in my case

barrowmanandrew
23rd September, 2010, 04:29 PM
that is the wrong cable.
pins are wired diffrently..
this it what you want..
2m Null Modem DB9 9 Pin Serial RS232 Cable Lead eurovox on eBay (end time 02-Oct-10 15:24:26 BST) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2m-Null-Modem-DB9-9-Pin-Serial-RS232-Cable-Lead-eurovox-/180327511215?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item29fc5b74af)

mrmarr
23rd September, 2010, 04:40 PM
? it looks identicle to the 1 in my hand ?

u sure ?
well if this 1 aint working ! then il just buy that second 1 you linked to from ebay now :)

barrowmanandrew
23rd September, 2010, 04:48 PM
they do look the same m8.
but the pins are wired diffrently....

on the cable you have just bought.
did it say "null modem" anywhere on the invoice/delivery note or on the site you bought it from?

mrmarr
23rd September, 2010, 04:50 PM
well gutted :)
BOUGHT IT
guess i have another wait for it to arrive :)

THEN FINGERS CROSSED LOL LOL

the cables i have in hand :-
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/6281/mycables.jpg (http://yfrog.com/epmycablesj)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

mrmarr
27th September, 2010, 02:13 PM
so whats the unseeable differance between these 2 cables ?
this is my new 1
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/457/img0859x.jpg (http://img207.imageshack.us/i/img0859x.jpg/)

barrowmanandrew
27th September, 2010, 02:46 PM
the way they are wired m8.
seriel cable pinout is:
1-1, 2-2, 3-3 etc...
null modem cable pinout:
http://service1.symantec.com/support/kb_boilerplate.nsf/images/rran6v8kun/$file/9-9_null_Modem_cable.gif?OpenElement

more importantly, is it ~~~~in workin yet?

mrmarr
27th September, 2010, 03:12 PM
gutted "no m8" its not working ??? wot a bummer ! its defo on right com port (3)

gutted

i dont need ethernet or vm cable in do i ?

barrowmanandrew
27th September, 2010, 03:14 PM
i dont know what to suggest m8. best to try and flash from anotherr pc or get someone to do it for you....
no no ethernet, are yoyu switching the box off then on after you hit download?

mrmarr
27th September, 2010, 03:16 PM
sad eh ! im gona now buy the serial com card for inside pc as theres a few threads around saying theyv had probs wi the usb too !!!
how gutting man

mrmarr
27th September, 2010, 03:22 PM
[QUOTE=are yoyu switching the box off then on after you hit download?[/QUOTE]

yep tried all ways (on & off) & diff ports, been tried on com 3 + 4 now !

as victor meldrew would say "i dont beleive it !"

it dont have to be setup 1st does it ? iv never plugged it into a tv !

barrowmanandrew
27th September, 2010, 03:35 PM
no it doesnt

codeenvy
27th September, 2010, 03:36 PM
great hope this worksIMDB:

mrmarr
27th September, 2010, 03:46 PM
I usually have awesome luck with electricals (flashing n such) i didnt here tho :(
wonder why ?

WELCOME CODEENVY :) 1st post eh :rolleyes:

barrowmanandrew just thanked you m8

mrmarr
27th September, 2010, 05:30 PM
hey hey is this a new fw i see ?
http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f99/a780-090910-firmware-release-120009/

iv tried 180610 fw lets try this

antsumner
27th September, 2010, 06:06 PM
have you installed the driver for serial adapter?

mrmarr
27th September, 2010, 06:51 PM
Yep its in :)
and welcome to my misery antsumner :)

BJTT
27th September, 2010, 07:16 PM
Try This Mr Marr?
Open Down-Tool 0927 In The Bin File Select From Your PC's Hard Drive Or File That You Have Stored Firmware 24082010
Make Sure Your RS232 Cable Is Connected From The Back of Your PC Into The Back of Your Box? Then Press Start Button On The Code Send Box & Press The Red Button Twice (The Red Button Next To The Other Colour Button
Near The Bottom of The Remote Twice (2 Times) Quickly
& The Power Off Red Button Once @ The Top Left Hand Corner of The Remote. The Code Send Box Should Then Move Into Download Mode, The After Into Flash Burn Mode & Once It's Finished A Message Will Appear Saying Download Has Been Successful. So Lets Recap Starting From The Beginning:-1) Attach A780 To Your TV With Scart In, Switch On TV & If Need Be Select Audio Video
Button On TV Remote. 2) Bring Up On TV Screen Your KV A780 Box 3) Select Menu & In Installation Type "0000" In Said Cascading Menu Select "Re-Set To Factory Settings"
Once Box Is In Factory Default Mode, Select GMT Summer Time Then Use "Back" Button To Come Out Back To Main Menu If Not, Don't Worry I Will Explain That Course of Action In Due Course. Right, Once Said Box Is In Factory Default Mode/Window Use Top Red Button Left Hand Corner of Remote To Switch To Standby. Then Switch
Black Switch Off On The Back of The Box. Right, Now Disconnect Said Box From Your TV Removing Scart, Cable,Plug & So On. Right, Now Connect Your Box To Your PC With The RS232 Cable Plug The Box Into A Mains Socket & Switch The Power Onto Your Box Via The Black Switch On The Back of Your Box. Right, Now Point The KV Remote @ Your Box & Press The Red Top Left Hand Corner Button Once. Your Box Should Display "0000" On The Front Channel Number Window Display. Right, Now On Your PC Bring Up Down-Tool 0927 & Select "Download" Tab In Said Window. The Code Send Box Should Now Appear, Use The Bin Tab To Select Firmware 24082010 Which Is In A Folder On Your PC's Hard Drive, Try Downloads, If You Have Not Created A Folder To Store It In. Once You Have Located Said Firmware It Should Appear In The Code Send Bin Column Right Before You Click On Start, Make Sure You Have The KV Remote In Your Hand Pointing It @ Your KV Channel Window The
Four Zeros ("0000") Right, Now Click On Start On The Code Send Tool, & Quickly Press The Red Button Near The Bottom of The KV Remote Twice & The Red Standby Button On The Top Left Hand Corner of The Remote Once The Code Send Tool Box Should Now Be In Download Mode. I Will Be Back In A Minute! :celticparty:

BJTT
27th September, 2010, 08:14 PM
Right, The TV Channel Display Window On Your KV Box Should Now Be In The Movie "The Predator's Self Destruct Time Watch Wrist Band Clock Mode" Like ---- Going Around In A Square Shape Circle. Once That Action Has Been Completed Then The Code Send Tool Will Move Into "Flashing Mode" Then Once That Is Completed, Then A Message Will Appear On Your Code Send Tool Box Stating
That "Download Has Been Successfully Completed" We Digress Now Onto Stage Two:-On Your KV Remote, Switch Your Box Into Standby (Top Red Button) Then Switch Off The Box Using The Black Switch @ The Back of The Box. Unplug The Box & Disconnect The RS232 Cable From The Box. Now Set Up The Box Attached To Your TV With The Following Items Connected To Your Box 1)VM Cable With Channel Filter Attached. 2)TV Scart.
3)Ethernet Cable Running From Your Modem Into The
Back of Your Box With Modem Switched On of Course.
4)Box Plugged Into Electrical Mains Socket.
Right Now Switch On Your TV & Select If Need Be, Your
AV Button On Your TV Remote. Right, Now Press Standby Red Button (Top Left Hand Corner) On Your KV Remote Then Select "Menu" On Your KV Remote, Then Select "Installation" & Type "0000" Basically We Are Going To Do An Automatic Scan Here, Make Sure The Box Is Set To N*L & All Channels Then Select The Green Button To Carry Out Said Search Once Box Has Selected "Network"
After The Box Has Completed The Said Scan It Will Come Back With Loads of Channels. Hit "Exit" On KV Remote Once Scanning Has Been Completed. Then Select "Menu" On KV Remote Then Go To "Installation" Then Type "0000"
In The Installation Cascading Menu Select "Download" & The Box Will Automatically Check To See If Your Box Has
The Latest Firmware. If Not, The Latest Firmware @ Present Is 09092010 The Box Will Automatically Update It's Self. Just Let The Box Go Through The Motions of
Downloading-Flashing Etc-Etc. Once It Has Completed Updating It's self. Then It Should Come Back On With The Latest Update. Right, To Display TV Channels Press The "Okay Button" On Your KV Remote, To Sort The Channels In An Alphabetical Order Press The White Button. To Move From A-Z Or Z-A Use The Right Arrow > Next To The "Okay Button" To Go From A-Z & The Left Arrow < Next To The "Okay Button" To Go Z-A Use The 2 Buttons Next To The "NTSC/PAL" Right Hand Side, To Page Up & Down Through Each Individual Cascading Letter Menu Window & The Button Directly Under The Menu Button To Get Info On Which Program/Movie That You Happen To Be Viewing To Remove TV Channel Menu From Your TV Screen, Just Press "Okay Or Back" To Edit & Delete Channels Select "Okay" To Bring Up Channel Choice, Then Press Menu Button & Follow Instructions, Also Refer To KV User Manual For Useful Tips & Advice.
Let Me Know How You Get On With Said Advice?

:celticscarf::celticparty:

mrmarr
28th September, 2010, 02:20 AM
cheers BJTT i havent plugged it into a telly yet, i didnt think you could flash it that way from new (which it is) ?
il try it tomorrow
thanks

mrmarr
30th September, 2010, 08:11 PM
rite tried most of that (still not pluged into pv tho-its not needed yet ?) but got a laptop yesterday and gave it a go on that with an instant "downloading not requested" OMG what is its prob could there be a loose lead inside ? wouldnt know what to check except looking for anyting out'o place !

any more ideas ? :)
iv had it over a month now so its mine :rolleyes:

jumpinjo
30th September, 2010, 08:19 PM
could there be a loose lead inside ? wouldnt know what to check except looking for anyting out'o place !

its only 5 screws and you wont miss anything that looks out of place it will be stickin out :)

could solve prob as well

mrmarr
30th September, 2010, 09:41 PM
nah looks fine !

:DAMN:

mrmarr
10th October, 2010, 06:11 PM
"SUCCESS" :)
so for any body using a usb to rs232 thats having the same problem as this, im afraid the only option is to buy an internal rs232 card for your pc :)

barrowmanandrew :) THANKS PAL

DW190
10th October, 2010, 06:26 PM
"SUCCESS" :)
so for any body using a usb to rs232 thats having the same problem as this, im afraid the only option is to buy an internal rs232 card for your pc :)

barrowmanandrew :) THANKS PAL

Or look here:

Digital Kaos - Downloads - Prolific Driver Installer (http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/downloads/arnet-kryptview/31/prolific-driver-installer-1370/)

mrmarr
14th October, 2010, 03:24 AM
or... if that dont work , buy the card :)
i had to.

Pad578
14th October, 2010, 01:10 PM
or... if that dont work , buy the card :)
i had to.

I had the same trouble m8,
I tried no end of drivers but could not get any of them to work,
So I had to get an Rs232 port port fitted to my pc as well.

Glad your sorted now.:congrats: