PDA

View Full Version : Irish Soda Bread

Grizz
12th September, 2010, 04:05 PM
Sieve flour, baking soda, salt and sugar in a large bowl, (once will do, but I do it a couple of times for a better mix). Make a well in centre and add most of buttermilk then mix into a raggy dough. You can add some flour if its too wet or some more buttermilk if it seems too dry. Once its together, knead briefly (30 seconds) on a floured surface, then flatten into a 6? disc on a floured baking tray. using a sharp knife cut a cross halfway through the dough and ***** (pr1ck) a hole in each quarter. 45 mins in oven and it should should hollow on the bottom when you tap it. wrap it for a while with a teatowel to cool if you like crust softer and dont wrap if you like it crisp.

manxspud
15th September, 2010, 01:58 AM
Brings back the memories, my mum used to make soda bread all the time when i was a kid, Used to and still do love it toasted.

@manx

Grizz
15th September, 2010, 03:25 PM
Brings back the memories, my mum used to make soda bread all the time when i was a kid, Used to and still do love it toasted.

@manx

yup, grans kitchen for me.Try it, once you've a couple knocked out, you'll throw one on everytime the oven is being used for something else.

ruthiechad
20th September, 2010, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the recipe, have one in the oven, can't wait to see how it turns out! (never done one b4)

Grizz
20th September, 2010, 09:32 PM
Cmon Ruthiechad, put me out of my misery, how did it turn out?
i tried a wholemeal version this eve , looked great but didnt taste as nice.

Pooja
1st November, 2010, 11:13 AM
Its informative recipe

tonyc6400
1st November, 2010, 06:27 PM
now that's an easy enough recipe for even me to have a go at making! Thanks

johnm123
6th November, 2010, 06:01 PM
the recipe sounds nice

vanessaski
28th November, 2010, 05:26 PM
I've only ever made this bread from mixes before, but I've got to say, if it is as easy as it sounds, I'm going to have to try to make it myself. Thanks for the recipe, I'll let you know how it turns out!

Grizz
28th November, 2010, 06:21 PM
I've only ever made this bread from mixes before, but I've got to say, if it is as easy as it sounds, I'm going to have to try to make it myself. Thanks for the recipe, I'll let you know how it turns out!

please do, i made one this morning and polished off most of it during the day, lol.

Welcome to Dk, enjoy your stay.

mattybhoy
28th November, 2010, 11:28 PM
I'm off tomorrow Grizz - gunna give it a go. Cheers.

chunder
1st December, 2010, 05:03 PM
Like the looks of this. Will give it a go at the weekend. Cheers.

bilsom
6th December, 2010, 05:18 PM
it only replaces your hangover by a bellyache ? ;)

i'll try it tomorrow and let you know how efficient it is. lol

tw87
6th December, 2010, 07:25 PM
Has to be done on the griddle for it to be done right. As soon as it comes out cut in two and put some butter and jam on it.

Hard to beat :thefinger:

Grizz
7th December, 2010, 10:58 AM
the griddle version is from the North i think. i'd be interested in trying it if you add the details how and any changes needed to basic recipe.

mattybhoy
14th December, 2010, 10:28 AM
Grizz,

Forgot to report back.. absolutely spot on fella! I've made a few already and I can see that I willl have to make some Christmas day morning for the family to have some for breakfast. Many thanks.:top:

tw87
15th December, 2010, 09:37 AM
the griddle version is from the North i think. i'd be interested in trying it if you add the details how and any changes needed to basic recipe.

I'll ask my mum lol. Never done it myself.

stranger013
10th December, 2012, 04:28 PM
Thanks for a nice recipe of soda bread. It is really tasty and I agree it reminds about childood, I can enjoy his widerful taste again!:bounce::bounce: Unfortunately it is impossible to buy such bread in the supermarkets nowadays...

kinawley
2nd April, 2013, 10:23 PM
Hi, nothing wrong with a griddle! My mother used to make soad bread most days, we rarely had a sliced loaf! Now if any one is interested tesco's ;) do a lovely wheaten loaf for ?1.10!

May be too much info on my second post but one of my dogs is called soda and the other Tayto! Who remembers tayto?

Mollie38
24th April, 2017, 11:55 AM
Where can I find the ingredients for the bread
,many thanks

nara
25th April, 2017, 11:00 PM
Where can I find the ingredients for the bread
,many thanks

Read Post #1, and then go shopping.

cactikid
25th June, 2017, 03:21 PM
used to do baking for flower shows as a bit of fun when the women said just as well he does not bake,ha ha i love a challenge.
remember the mother with home made buttermilk.

sticky21
31st May, 2019, 12:30 AM
That sounds nice! I love this kind of stuff! Even though I do not consider myself as some great cook I will try to do my best not to ruin my attempt for it :D

Melbu
26th July, 2019, 07:59 PM
Sounds great :)
I'll definitely give it a try.

rosemartine
16th September, 2019, 05:16 AM
Thank you for sharing this recipe.I'll try it. It's sound yum. :peaceful: