PDA

View Full Version : Diagnostic software on new laptop

paul_mike
14th September, 2010, 02:10 AM
Hello all, after reading for hours and downloading CAT ET 2010B, STW 2009B, SIS 2009A, Insite 7.4 , DDDL 6.4, I'm ready for the next step, buying a new laptop. Should I go with Win 7 starter,home , pro, 32/64 bits or going back to WinXP :banghead: .

Regarding the CAT sotware , do you think they could be installed even if the versions are not the same , is there a specific order I should install them .

I'm not a computer guy but only a mechanic , so far by reading usefull threads I believe I understand a bit what I'm doing :egg:
but the CAT stuff scared me. Thanks for your feedback.

Paul

RSwire
14th September, 2010, 02:39 AM
Win XP pro is the best for the software. A lot of people are not happy with ET2010b but prefer 2010a, install STW first, it will install all the other programs. Remember to get the cat SIS data disks and rerr install for sis. After installing all your software post your pcids in the appropriate thread and someone will help with the keys. Hope this helps.:smokin:

Hanski
14th September, 2010, 07:58 AM
Usually XP is slightly faster than Win 7 on a notebook. You might also want to check if your preferred applications are Win 7 compatible if you decide to go that route.

nier
14th September, 2010, 08:08 AM
I too advise to use for work WinXP though it is pleasant to me more Win7.

huhu123
14th September, 2010, 10:02 AM
win xp is ok for most

yosarian
14th September, 2010, 10:23 AM
xp professional is the best and stable version from Mr. Gates

paul_mike
14th September, 2010, 07:40 PM
Thanks for your advise, I"ll try on XP Pro

fixacar
14th September, 2010, 08:01 PM
MODERN NEW LAPTOPS WONT RUN XP, NO DRIVER SUPPORT.
YOU WILL HAVE TO FIND A GOOD USED ONE AND SET UP TO YOUR LIKING.

XP SP2 RULES!

:rock:

spakos
14th September, 2010, 08:13 PM
I agree Win Xp is the best, however if you need to install in vista or 7 just make shure you install in 32 bits version,
also the DDEC reprogramming system does not work in vista. I have installed all diagnostics programs in vista an 7 and they work ok.

hercamp
14th September, 2010, 11:23 PM
thats right...problem with all laptops in dealers services too...are the updates to os....sp3 ..doesnt like diagnostic softwares like ptt..idss...dddl 7x or drs 7x..(almost umpossible is runn in home vercion or xp sp3 is j deere service @dvisor)..servicemaxx is some sloww too and ....to runn in newer laptops try in 32bit vercion ...64 bit not supported and some programs can runn ..but a reall danger to reflashing tools if sistem restart ....when u are flushing an ecm...

joshplianfield
17th September, 2010, 12:32 AM
I got a new netbook from HP w/windows xp sp3 and all programs work great, cost was $350, great battery life (6 hours and 160gb hard drive, 1 gb ram)

joshplianfield
17th September, 2010, 12:33 AM
thats right...problem with all laptops in dealers services too...are the updates to os....sp3 ..doesnt like diagnostic softwares like ptt..idss...dddl 7x or drs 7x..(almost umpossible is runn in home vercion or xp sp3 is j deere service @dvisor)..servicemaxx is some sloww too and ....to runn in newer laptops try in 32bit vercion ...64 bit not supported and some programs can runn ..but a reall danger to reflashing tools if sistem restart ....when u are flushing an ecm...

I have sp3 and dddl 7.x and idss work fine, I do agree service maxx is slow though.

jkalil
25th September, 2010, 11:43 PM
I got a new netbook from HP w/windows xp sp3 and all programs work great, cost was $350, great battery life (6 hours and 160gb hard drive, 1 gb ram)

Please tell me the HP model. Thanks

bekamon
26th September, 2010, 12:33 AM
I have teh xp pro xp3 and all software work good exept the idss only work with sp2

sptecnico82
23rd October, 2010, 02:48 AM
You can buy whatever laptop you want. The solution is VMWare Workstation.... VirtualBox.... virtualize over W7, intall a base XPSP2 or 3 and make all copies you want. Install all your software over the virtual machine. If something goes wrong... just revert to snapshot.... :ridinghorse:

DICODIESEL
23rd October, 2010, 03:10 AM
UMM WORK FINE IN XP...ONE PROBLEM I INSTAL DDL 7X BUT NO FINISH BECAUSE ERROR OF INSTALLER, CAN YOU HELP ME?? THANKSSSS

mondao
23rd October, 2010, 04:39 AM
UMM WORK FINE IN XP...ONE PROBLEM I INSTAL DDL 7X BUT NO FINISH BECAUSE ERROR OF INSTALLER, CAN YOU HELP ME?? THANKSSSS
try with these updates, it has to work
Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites! (http://www.multiupload.com/MCOECZQH8J)

jtr8178
25th October, 2010, 12:31 AM
Hello all, after reading for hours and downloading CAT ET 2010B, STW 2009B, SIS 2009A, Insite 7.4 , DDDL 6.4, I'm ready for the next step, buying a new laptop. Should I go with Win 7 starter,home , pro, 32/64 bits or going back to WinXP :banghead: .

Regarding the CAT sotware , do you think they could be installed even if the versions are not the same , is there a specific order I should install them .

I'm not a computer guy but only a mechanic , so far by reading usefull threads I believe I understand a bit what I'm doing :egg:
but the CAT stuff scared me. Thanks for your feedback.

Paul

I would recommend purchasing a Panasonic Toughbook CF-29 off of eBay. They are rugged, and will last forever. Install XP w/SP3. GOod luck!

jctech
25th October, 2010, 10:39 PM
Windows 7 for facebook
Windows Vista for youtube
Windows XP for service tools and diagnostic programs

superc0
27th October, 2010, 03:48 AM
xp pro is better for this softs, 32 bit version, all my computers for diagnostics and manuals works very good,
64 bit sucks for this softs

cqae
27th October, 2010, 04:03 AM
i recently got a new toshiba laptop for my diagnostic needs. i first tried on windows7 64 bit & nothing worked, since going back to 32 pretty much everything work fine, so I would say windows7 32 bit on the whole will work reasonably well

dieselmech32
1st December, 2010, 03:21 AM
I bought a refurbished Latitude E6500 from the Dell Outlet store. Was able to pick my hard drive option, wifi card and operating system. Chose XP Pro and have been very satisfied. Bought three more for the guys in the shop for their diagnostic tools and all have been perfect. All came with full support and warranty from Dell.