PDA

View Full Version : Lipe or eaton clutch

jugghack2
19th September, 2010, 12:09 PM
i am Having a delema choosing what clutch to run in the race truck

-2400 lipe with 4150# plate
-2250 eaton with bigger springs at 4500# plate
-or a hybrid lipe pressure plate and eaton input shaft saver disks

all 3 are good to arround 2500ft/ib torque but what is better sutied to drag racing of a loaded rig

Regrds,

RSwire
19th September, 2010, 04:03 PM
If I rember right the Lipe is an auto-adjust or at least it is suppost to be. The eaton you can fine tune the free play for quicker engagement. Either way just rember to file down the edges of the center plate tabs so they don't stick.

jugghack2
20th September, 2010, 12:31 AM
no both are manuel EZ pedal or lipe just lipe does not require person in cab to adjust the freeplay as it is done with clutch out and not depressed like the eaton the lipe has springs 90 deg to the pressure plate and eaton has them on a 45 deg to the plate the eaton can only be set to a max pressur plater force of 4000-4200 and aftermarket springs are 4500 # plate and the lipe is 4000-6000 stock with only a spring shange to get diffrent values we are lookin for 4200# plate area and 2400 ft/ib torque rating we have 3 options and they are as follows opt 1 stock 2400 lipe
opt 2 eaton mod to 4500 and input saver disks and optin 3 is lipe pressure plate at 4200 and eaton input saver disks any opinion's?

RSwire
20th September, 2010, 01:19 AM
Go for the lipe pp you have more options with pressure, the input saver has that little"give" to help with shock but constant pounding on a track my cause it to wear out quickly and get sloppy. But it is less likly to snap an input(witch would suck) on a sudden torque input. I think you might be in the trial and error stage unforunetly.

jugghack2
22nd September, 2010, 12:51 AM
Looking for opinion's on hardened input shaft's?
same application

just a little background on the truck

1986 mack superliner 998cu 450hp?? V8
we estamate it to be arround 1500hp now with the headders big nasty turbo and oversied pump lines & nozzles
I know it's not electronic but I'm wanting to learn the new way as well as the old way

ricz
25th November, 2010, 05:35 AM
Personally I like the quality of Eaton better, I seen them fail less often compared to a Lipe on a stock truck.

colh
2nd December, 2010, 10:11 AM
Don,t no about racing but have seen more problems with high HP eaton clutch,s losing bits of torsion springs into clutch faces than broken input shafts,so I like solid centred disc,s.To adjust with one person use a nicely cut stick,block, piece of steel or whatever between seat base and clutch pedal set about midway in clutch pedal stroke.and if your like me always forget which way to adjust and go the wrong way first just to keep the frustration level at a happy medium.col

jugghack2
26th June, 2011, 12:44 PM
well the clutch and flywheel are inplace and just taking care of the shift servos before we put her back in today so far the lipe clutch is way better and loads nicer to work on. we ended up putting a stock input as a hardened one will only cause the next weekest shaft(Main In Trans) to break instead witch will cost way more to fix