PDA

View Full Version : What is proper electrical substitute for removed EGR

dusan147
23rd September, 2010, 03:17 PM
I completely removed EGR valve and EGR cooler from engine bay of my 147 1.9 JTD 8v and on its place connected one resistor of 8.2Ω/20W. Same resistance I measured on EGR solenoid (it has 2-wire connection). FiatECUScan reports "EGR Invalid Signal" error (P0404, not fatal, but appears again and again, although always clear error). Same error FES reported if EGR valve was blocked... When I disconnect EGR (or resistor) fatal error appears.
Do ECU measure some other parameter, not only resistance, but inductance or capacity and this is cause of error? Which is way that I can avoid this error?

dimitar
23rd September, 2010, 07:51 PM
I completely removed EGR valve and EGR cooler from engine bay of my 147 1.9 JTD 8v and on its place connected one resistor of 8.2Ω/20W. Same resistance I measured on EGR solenoid (it has 2-wire connection). FiatECUScan reports "EGR Invalid Signal" error (P0404, not fatal, but appears again and again, although always clear error). Same error FES reported if EGR valve was blocked... When I disconnect EGR (or resistor) fatal error appears.
Do ECU measure some other parameter, not only resistance, but inductance or capacity and this is cause of error? Which is way that I can avoid this error?

It measures the airflow from maf and expected exhaust recirculation from egr is no longer there in your case and maf readings are higher. The only way to remove the fault is to reprogram the ecu (modify the egr maps)

TribesMac
23rd September, 2010, 08:36 PM
Not in his case, ECU in his car is EDC15 and you can block the EGR with a plate and it will not report an error...

He needs to find a way for replacing solenoid in the EGR actuator, or disabling the EGR part of the ECU that measures the presence of the solenoid...

dusan147
23rd September, 2010, 10:48 PM
I know that is enough only blank off EGR pipe, but I want to reject never used part from engine bay...
I have no error on dashboard light, MCSF or similar. Error appears only in diagnostic software. I can't to delete this error permanently, but only temporarily...
a) with blanked EGR I had error which returns after delete,
b) without EGR I had error which can't clear, and
c) with substitution resistor I had error which returns after delete - same as in a) case...
d) I disable EGR in ECU by change values in EGR map...
e) error disappear when I connected only solenoid (but no whole EGR system) - why is solenoid better than resistor for ECU?

dimitar
23rd September, 2010, 11:37 PM
I know that is enough only blank off EGR pipe, but I want to reject never used part from engine bay...
I have no error on dashboard light, MCSF or similar. Error appears only in diagnostic software. I can't to delete this error permanently, but only temporarily...
a) with blanked EGR I had error which returns after delete,
b) without EGR I had error which can't clear, and
c) with substitution resistor I had error which returns after delete - same as in a) case...
d) I disable EGR in ECU by change values in EGR map...
e) error disappear when I connected only solenoid (but no whole EGR system) - why is solenoid better than resistor for ECU?

check your pm

dusan147
24th September, 2010, 05:51 AM
I will try to find solution... :hmmmm2:

TribesMac
24th September, 2010, 07:04 AM
Well solenoid is different kind of beast compared to resistor.

Every solenoid has is resistance, but the main component is inductance, and since solenoid is PWM controlled, it reacts to PWM much different as a resistor would.

One thing you could do is to make yourself an inductor. You would need a few (10-20) metres of lacquered copper wire (not very thick, maybe ~0.5mm diameter), and you should coil it around some piece of metal (steel preferably, but not stainless steel).

This is a very rough method, but it might work. Just make sure that the resistance of the coiled wire is similar to the original solenoid resistance...

miha99
24th September, 2010, 07:28 AM
Like TribesMac (http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/members/141647-tribesmac/) said ;Solenoid and resistor do not have the same characteristic.

dusan147
24th September, 2010, 01:26 PM
Problem solved... Today morning I increased values in EGR map from 12740 (default maximum) to 16000 (about 1600mg/i is my maximum airflow) and it works without any error and with resistor of 8.2Ω/20W...

Viperalfa
13th October, 2010, 07:37 AM
excellent work:congrats:

alfaskorpion
13th October, 2010, 01:44 PM
:congrats::wavey:

rappttor
13th October, 2010, 07:54 PM
Problem solved... Today morning I increased values in EGR map from 12740 (default maximum) to 16000 (about 1600mg/i is my maximum airflow) and it works without any error and with resistor of 8.2Ω/20W...

check your fuel comsumption...:D

bazare
13th October, 2010, 09:19 PM
It shouldn't modify the fuel consumption too much. But environmentalist will be really mad that you canceled the EGR =))

dusan147
18th October, 2010, 04:39 AM
check your fuel comsumption...:D
Because of EGR removed or because of 16000 value in EGR map?

Blek
29th October, 2010, 07:25 PM
Excelent job, :congrats::congrats:

bazare
29th October, 2010, 09:33 PM
Canceling EGR indeed modify some things in an engine, especially the intake mixture temperature. But don't worry too much about the fuel consumption you won't really notice an increase.

dusan147
29th October, 2010, 09:51 PM
I agree...

sanscorp
25th January, 2011, 09:18 AM
Are you able to explain (in detail) how to edit the ECU mapping?
I have a galetto clone but I'm to affraid I mess up my ECU because of the simple fact that I do no know what I'm doing.... :D

I allready managed to download the bin file, but when I opn it, TADA! only HEX... How do I find out / know what I need to edit where?
Can't seem to figure it out myself :(