PDA

View Full Version : I Connector or new A780 box?

kingkermit
23rd September, 2010, 05:26 PM
I have a kvA750 box but like most people the curse of n3 has hit the area and most channels are disapearing fast.

Would you advise buying a new A780 box or an iconnector?

I know a box is 50 quid more but which would you advise and why?

Is a new box guaranteed to survive n3? Is it easier to set up the A780 or easier to just but an iconnector?

Just keen to know because I've been very happy with the 3 years service I've had from the A750

Cheers

jumpinjo
23rd September, 2010, 05:32 PM
cheapest option as good as 780, flash 750 with new firm connect i-conn and job done

kingkermit
24th September, 2010, 11:42 AM
I haven't been able to physically see an i connector. I presume the one end goes into the back of your box so where does the other end go to?

DW190
24th September, 2010, 12:59 PM
I haven't been able to physically see an i connector. I presume the one end goes into the back of your box so where does the other end go to?

The iconnector has three sockets.

1 Serial to your a750
2 Ethernet to your router
3 Power supply to mains socket

kingkermit
24th September, 2010, 07:44 PM
So presumably the i connector must be really close to your router otherwise you will end up with an ethernet cable running across your house?

kingkermit
24th September, 2010, 08:35 PM
At the moment I have a white lead that runs from the virgin media box in the wall into the back of my box (this is my aerial).

If I was to move my router next to the box I would need to use that white lead because it needs to go into the back of my modem.

If I buy an i connector does 1 of the sockets it has act as an aerial that can just be plugged into the back of the box?

Sorry for all the questions but I need to know before I go ahead and get one. I've tried looking online for an image so that I can see what leads it has and where they go but I can't seem to find one hence I have to visulaise it which is proving tough lol

Sorry to be such a pain

Cheers for all your help so far

kingkermit
25th September, 2010, 08:49 AM
Please guys

jumpinjo
25th September, 2010, 09:21 AM
if router is not near enough to tv/box you need a wifi bridge/homeplugs or a very long ethernet cable

kingkermit
25th September, 2010, 09:30 AM
Thank you.

What about the aerial situation?
Does the i connector have a lead that goes directly into the the RF IN port at the back of the box?

smirnoff_rules
25th September, 2010, 11:11 AM
wot price r the i-con going for then ?

barrowmanandrew
25th September, 2010, 11:23 AM
wot price r the i-con going for then ?
cost about ?100
Lincsat Nick-Nacks (http://www.lincsat.co.uk/)

smoggy
25th September, 2010, 11:42 AM
Thank you.

What about the aerial situation?
Does the i connector have a lead that goes directly into the the RF IN port at the back of the box?

as already stated by dw190 the i connector has 3 sockets

1. it connects to your box via the serial socket
2. it has its own power supply
3. it has an ethernet socket to connect ethernet cable from i connector to your router.

the cable feed connects to your box as normal via the rf in socket

kingkermit
25th September, 2010, 12:16 PM
OK thanks looks like Im gonna need to buy a wifi bridge or summat because Im gonna need that cable feed for my modem. Cheers

smoggy
25th September, 2010, 12:32 PM
OK thanks looks like Im gonna need to buy a wifi bridge or summat because Im gonna need that cable feed for my modem. Cheers

not sure what you are saying there but

you need a cable feed that is fed via a splitter with one going to your box and the other to your modem

kingkermit
25th September, 2010, 01:50 PM
Basically the white virgin media box which is attached to the wall has a white coaxial cable attached that goes into the RF IN port on the back of the kv box. However because Im gonna need to bring my router and modem nearer to the tele Im gonna need to use that white coaxial cable for the back of the modem.

smoggy
25th September, 2010, 02:15 PM
just put a splitter on the cable feed line and put one feed to box and the other to modem

kingkermit
25th September, 2010, 03:57 PM
I really am an amateur lol
How do I do that and more importantly where do I get one?
I wouldn't even know what one looks like so If you could post a link Id be extreemly grateful

Cheers

smoggy
25th September, 2010, 04:45 PM
you can get one from ebay or most electronic type shops
just make sure you make the ends up correctly, cable feed goes to single input and box/modem from the 2 outputs

kingkermit
25th September, 2010, 05:01 PM
Thank you very much for your help mate