PDA

View Full Version : Best options

Greeny75
24th September, 2010, 03:23 PM
Hi all
I'm after advice on what the best option is to take as my Starview & old Samsung box have gone down because of nag3.
I've been a bit ignorant in the past due to knowing people who could do updates for me but if I am advised of a good option I would rather learn how to keep ahead of the game myself and judging by this forum their seems to be a wealth of knowledge available.
What hardware do people suggest, what do I need for it to work and more importantly where can I source it.
I'm in the Salford area using a VM feed.
Thanks in advance.

DW190
24th September, 2010, 06:38 PM
Hi all
I'm after advice on what the best option is to take as my Starview & old Samsung box have gone down because of nag3.
I've been a bit ignorant in the past due to knowing people who could do updates for me but if I am advised of a good option I would rather learn how to keep ahead of the game myself and judging by this forum their seems to be a wealth of knowledge available.
What hardware do people suggest, what do I need for it to work and more importantly where can I source it.
I'm in the Salford area using a VM feed.
Thanks in advance.

You also need a broadband connection to the box from a router. If your near to Bolton this could be your lucky day.

Greeny75
27th September, 2010, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the reply DW190 sorry I haven't replied earlier I've had a busy weekend with the family, I'm only 15 minutes from Bolton, why?

DW190
27th September, 2010, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the reply DW190 sorry I haven't replied earlier I've had a busy weekend with the family, I'm only 15 minutes from Bolton, why?

Cause thats where I live so will be handy.

Greeny75
28th September, 2010, 04:58 PM
Cause thats where I live so will be handy.
In laymans terms to start with do I need anything else that I haven't listed.
1.Kryptview A780 receiver
2.Broadband
3.Wireless router
4.Cable provider

Is it better to subscribe to VM (minimum package) or can you just plug in and your good to go.
I've been reading a lot of posts on here and I don't entirely understand how it all works as with the starview as long as you had the cable provider feed to your home you just plugged in, installed the unit (already flashed) and that was it where as I've read conflicting posts about subscribing, card share (which I don't understand) and no costs other than your hardware.
Sorry if I come across as a little wet behind the ears but as I said in my original post I've been a little ignorant up to this point.

jumpinjo
28th September, 2010, 05:13 PM
if you got bb/wireless router that will do no need for package if tv feed is live, just get box and your sorted :)

DW190
28th September, 2010, 05:14 PM
In laymans terms to start with do I need anything else that I haven't listed.
1.Kryptview A780 receiver
2.Broadband
3.Wireless router
4.Cable provider

Is it better to subscribe to VM (minimum package) or can you just plug in and your good to go.
I've been reading a lot of posts on here and I don't entirely understand how it all works as with the starview as long as you had the cable provider feed to your home you just plugged in, installed the unit (already flashed) and that was it where as I've read conflicting posts about subscribing, card share (which I don't understand) and no costs other than your hardware.
Sorry if I come across as a little wet behind the ears but as I said in my original post I've been a little ignorant up to this point.

Its just the same as the Starview but with the addition of a ethernet connection which, when connected to a router downloads the codes for the encrypted channels.

Greeny75
29th September, 2010, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the advice and help, when I've bought a box and return from my hols no doubt I'll be back asking how to set up once I hit a brick wall :banghead:.

Any reputable sites you'd recommend to buy from.

Also any additional plugs/connectors and cables required, I keep on reading about homeplugs etc.