PDA

View Full Version : Focus 1.8 TDCI starting problems

krazylegz
24th September, 2010, 09:24 PM
Hi all, I've been using the girlfriends 53 reg focus 1.8TDCI for a few weeks now and recently it's starting to play up when it's warm.

If I've been driving and it's up to normal temp then stop it for a few mins, to say just to put diesel in... Then it can take a good few mins to start as it usually starts up for a few seconds then stalls but it sounds like a right bag of hammers, coughing and spluttering before it dies, almost like it's only running on one or two cylinders. Leave it about 5 mins then it will start as normal, I'm thinking glow plugs, could these be the cause?

It's a 115ps model if that makes a difference

Meat-Head
24th September, 2010, 09:44 PM
a) shite supermarket fuel
b) cranksensor NOT SURE IF THIS HAS ONE
c) EGR valve jambing
d) Diesel pump on the way out.

Have noticed on VERY late ford diesel, if you just 'flick' the key *THINK* the engine
runs backwards and stops, like what you are saying!!

Next time you are init, try NOT FOR TOO LONG AS YOU WILL ~~~~ THE STARTER hold the key on crank few a 'little longer than normal' see what damage it causes

see if any member can plug it in for you.

krazylegz
24th September, 2010, 10:45 PM
Cheers meaty!!!

It really does sound like a bag if hammers when it does it and the clutch pedal lifts right up but goes back to normal once it starts properly and after a few pumps of it

Meat-Head
24th September, 2010, 11:35 PM
if it is feasable ie outside the house put some snopake (tippex) on the alternator belt
and start the engine, see which way the belt turns .

when hot repeat experiment, but try crank long time first

xbobcz
25th September, 2010, 08:05 AM
Cheers meaty!!!

It really does sound like a bag if hammers when it does it and the clutch pedal lifts right up but goes back to normal once it starts properly and after a few pumps of it

This sound causes damaged DMF (dual mass flywheel). I had same problem. When you stop the engine do you hear knocking sound too?
First check starter and battery, when starter motor rotates slowly it causes big oscillations of DMF and knocking sound. I replaced battery with new one and this problem was solved for some time. Final solution is to replace DMF and it is expensive.

Bob

Ashraf6119
25th September, 2010, 08:39 AM
This sound causes damaged DMF (dual mass flywheel). I had same problem. When you stop the engine do you hear knocking sound too?
First check starter and battery, when starter motor rotates slowly it causes big oscillations of DMF and knocking sound. I replaced battery with new one and this problem was solved for some time. Final solution is to replace DMF and it is expensive.

Bob

Hi

Just to add this post, the megnetic dust from DMF causes Crank Sensor NOT to pick the signals properly.

So its worth checking all this things before it damages more.

DMF are very common on them :coffin:

Hope this helps.

Ash

krazylegz
25th September, 2010, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the replies all, I'll get the battery checked and try cleaning the crank sensor to see if it helps..... I hate DMF flywheels, if that's gooses it'll be getting converted to a standard.

I'll try the tipex when I'm next down there, cheers all :)

Meat-Head
25th September, 2010, 11:00 AM
, if that's gooses it'll be getting converted to a standard.
l :)

HI

READ SOMEWHERE FOR THE TRANSIT FORD DO
A STANDARD CONVERSION FLYWHEEL/CLUTCH
KIT FOR PROBLEM VECHILES, BUT THEY SAY
TOUGH IF GEARBOX BREAKS

HTH

MEAT

krazylegz
25th October, 2010, 11:51 AM
Have noticed on VERY late ford diesel, if you just 'flick' the key *THINK* the engine
runs backwards and stops, like what you are saying!!

Next time you are init, try NOT FOR TOO LONG AS YOU WILL ~~~~ THE STARTER hold the key on crank few a 'little longer than normal' see what damage it causes

see if any member can plug it in for you.

think you are right with this meaty, if i keep the key turned for a split second longer it fires into life normally

Meat-Head
25th October, 2010, 06:18 PM
think you are right with this meaty, if i keep the key turned for a split second longer it fires into life normally

Did you try the Tippex on the belt?

What you have to remember is Meat-Head-Motors are EXPERTS in damaging vehicles.

There are two reasons why when ever we work on late Fords, we just flick the key.

1) To see if we can get the engine to run backwards, causing irremovable damage.

2) There is a rumor going around which says just flicking the key can
some how smash the bell housing - as can winding a car in and out on the starter motor.

Sadly we have NOT managed to damage anything yet.

We have enough experience at "Team-Meat" to be able to cause damage to MOST vehicles.

Thank you for the update - other folks don't bother!