PDA

View Full Version : Dreambox or starview lan?

roast
29th September, 2010, 10:38 AM
Hi
I'm considering two types of boxed, dm500s or starview7.
Ideally I would want to watch over satallite as this can be les obvious, I have a dish and also have VM internet and cable box.

I saw a demo with both boxes recently and all channels were available. However though the dreambox was connected to satellite it also required a LAN connection.

Could someone explain pls.

satsmo
29th September, 2010, 10:47 AM
Welcome to the forum, please take a look around as there are many threads with the answers you require.

One thing though you say you would prefer the sat route, the Starview 7 is for cable only.

Curious123
29th September, 2010, 10:47 AM
Hi
I'm considering two types of boxed, dm500s or starview7.
Ideally I would want to watch over satallite as this can be les obvious, I have a dish and also have VM internet and cable box.

I saw a demo with both boxes recently and all channels were available. However though the dreambox was connected to satellite it also required a LAN connection.

Could someone explain pls.

I have no idea about the Starview box but the dreambox is the better box as it is an open source box and has much greater support then the Starview. You should start of by reading the sticky below;

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f39/cable-tv-satellite-transition-explained-72170/

roast
29th September, 2010, 03:28 PM
Hi
Thanks for the feedback, could someone tell me why does the dm500s box have a LAN connection when it's a satallite reciever ?

Is there less chance of being found out if I go for a sattalite box vs cable box (starview) >

Also where can I purchase recievers in UK?

mashvag
29th September, 2010, 04:05 PM
dreambox are linux based so can use for many years coming ,
but starview 7 can be obselete incoming years

mashvag
29th September, 2010, 04:07 PM
lan connection are for receving the magic part of the box

roast
29th September, 2010, 04:10 PM
lan connection are for receving the magic part of the box

thanks Mashvag, Is the Magic part a data file or is it the actual tv stream as i dont want to load the LAN

Curious123
30th September, 2010, 01:01 PM
thanks Mashvag, Is the Magic part a data file or is it the actual tv stream as i dont want to load the LAN

Keys for decoding the channels on your box.