PDA

View Full Version : Could it be the clutch

spyrogo
30th September, 2010, 09:46 PM
Have a 2000 VW polo 1.4 and on a number of occasions say like coming off the motorway when I try to select any gear it will not go in at all.

If I turn of the engine then I can put the car in any gear, start it back up and unable to select a gear, when this happens I turn off, put it in gear and then turn the engine over without pressing the clutch, then it will be fine for say a few weeks/month then it will happen again.

What do you reckon is it the clutch needs replacing?

Spyrogo

cgscott
30th September, 2010, 09:55 PM
Could be the clutch. Although it could also be the gear linkage thats came loose. If you rev it up and try selecting a gear it should go in. You dont actually need a clutch to drive as long as you have the correct revs when a gear needs changed it will slide in.

Linkage is the first place i would look. Have you smelt anything odd in the car like burning of the clutch? Its foul and you would know when its going going gone.

Probably the clutch cable stretched and needs a new one. Foot to floor to get gear in would show that.

spyrogo
30th September, 2010, 10:26 PM
Thanks for that, I will give that a go next time it happens. Is the gear linkage something that can be adjusted without to much drama, ie by me lol?

I have a set of drive on ramps so can get under to have a look

Spyrogo

gregk
30th September, 2010, 11:02 PM
Has this got cable or Hydraulic operated clutch? if Hydraulic it could be that clutch fluid might need replacing or bleeding. When this happens how dose the clutch pedal feel, like normal or slightly lower?

540i6
1st October, 2010, 01:37 AM
Has this got cable or Hydraulic operated clutch? if Hydraulic it could be that clutch fluid might need replacing or bleeding. When this happens how dose the clutch pedal feel, like normal or slightly lower?

That's what I was going to suggest as well. When this happens, you might try to pump the clutch pedal several times and see if this helps a bit. I have a similar problem with my car and I'm almost sure that in my case it's because there's a tiny amount of air in the system.

cqae
1st October, 2010, 02:01 AM
or possibly a siezing thrust or spigot bearing if it has one

electromech
1st October, 2010, 03:45 AM
I am sure that vehicle has a self adjusting cable and that system dont need a reason to fail the piece of shit will mess you around

Ashraf6119
1st October, 2010, 09:50 AM
Hi

Its very common faults on VW with the Cable Operating system.

This normarly happens when your Pressure Plate gets old and causes clutch pedal to become hard hance end up braking the Clutch Pedal Braket.

If you look down at the Pedal there is a Braket where the pedal fits you will see its cracked on the corner and causing pedal not to operate properly.

Replace the Braket and complete Clutch Plate kit

Hope this helps.

Ash

spyrogo
1st October, 2010, 06:01 PM
Cheers for all the replies guys, my daughter has the car and is away now till next weekend so will check all this when she gets back.

Just one other thing when the car in in neutral the gearbox does squeak, that is until we press the clutch in then it will stop squeaking.

Spyrogo

Ashraf6119
1st October, 2010, 07:23 PM
Hi

When was last Oil Level checked :hmmmm2:

Ash

spyrogo
1st October, 2010, 09:40 PM
Last service I think, about 6 months ago. The gearbox did have a bit of a leak sometime ago, but last time I checked it wasn't leaking and the level was good, but it could well be low

Spyrogo