PDA

View Full Version : Grass growing.

Donka
2nd October, 2010, 02:06 PM
Hi all, i need to move about 5 tonne of top soil from where i'm building a shed. To save on a skip i also need to raise an area of grass where there's a dip in the garden. My question is can i spread the soil over the grassed area and expect it to grow through by next spring again or will i have to re-turf it. Can i lay turf over existing grass, i presume it's not how the proffessionals would maybe do it but i'm getting conflcting views about this, thanks Donka.
PS sorry if some of you are reading this thinking i meant another type of popular grass:ridinghorse:

daithi
2nd October, 2010, 02:13 PM
Hi all, i need to move about 5 tonne of top soil from where i'm building a shed. To save on a skip i also need to raise an area of grass where there's a dip in the garden. My question is can i spread the soil over the grassed area and expect it to grow through by next spring again or will i have to re-turf it. Can i lay turf over existing grass, i presume it's not how the proffessionals would maybe do it but i'm getting conflcting views about this, thanks Donka.
PS sorry if some of you are reading this thinking i meant another type of popular grass:ridinghorse:

i did this about two months ago and it worked fine
but the soil wasnt to deep mybe 2 or 3 inches high at most il also put down grass seed to
its later in the year now so im not sure how well the grass will grow for ya this time of year

chucklor
3rd October, 2010, 04:24 PM
The answer to both questions is yes, unless the soil you place on top of the lower area is too deep, then it will die, what I suggest Donka is if it is going to be to deep, over approx 4", then hire a grass turf strip cutter, you run this along like a rotavator and it cuts the top layer off you existing lawn into strips exactly like you buy from a gardening center, then build up the levels and replace the turf, they are not expensive to hire and this way your lawn will be a exact match and will be cheaper than buying more turf...chuck

lewshanks
7th October, 2010, 09:21 AM
nice on chucklor ,i was wondering what to do with the door mat of a garden i got .........