PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu

opsmonkey
3rd October, 2010, 02:37 PM
Hi..

I've used backtrack on my laptop in the past to, lets say, get some free internet but that's it for Linux OS (bar my Dreambox) lol

However, the kids laptop had viruses up the ying yang as they use it to watch music videos / sport via the internet..

I used killdisk to strip the HDD and tried to reload XP on but i kept getting the BSOD..!

As they just use it for the internet I've thrown Ubuntu on, and i must say its very user friendly and hits the spot..

Kids are happy their laptop is back on...!!

Anything glaringly obvious i should be putting on it..?

Cheers

Just in case you think "Spoilt gits" lol they have my wife's old Toshiba Satellite..! 6 years old :roflmao:

tups34
3rd October, 2010, 04:35 PM
I take it you have installed the restricted extras, and set it to do security updates automatically.? although this is not such an issue as it is on windblows machines.

hugjam
6th October, 2010, 05:23 AM
i use ubuntu and find it excellent.check out firefox addons and plugins you will find lots of useful apps. good luck.:congrats:

kourkoutas
6th October, 2010, 09:12 PM
ubuntu is pretty much all you need.... maybe you could install adobe flash and vlc, but I'm guessing you've already got them.

celticnthell
14th October, 2010, 02:35 PM
Can somebody pls post the link to ubuntu...

Celtic

opsmonkey
14th October, 2010, 09:37 PM
thanks everyone..

@celticnthell try google mate or click here (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Ubuntu)

james951
16th October, 2010, 06:02 PM
hello.i need the link of ubuntu installation

pilsner2
16th October, 2010, 06:12 PM
been using pc,s since 1987 ubuntu best thing i ever discovered got bored with windows every thing about it costs money from fire wall to anti virus none of that with ubuntu been using it for 2yrs ish and i say wow.pilsner

denti
20th October, 2010, 05:49 PM
hello.i need the link of ubuntu installation

james, try
Download | Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download)

flyingpig
23rd October, 2010, 03:54 PM
agree with comments above... Fed up of virus' and windows runnig dead slow and you have to pay a fortune for it.

Ubuntu is free, easy to install, virus free, and overall so much better than windows...

djohnston2010
20th November, 2010, 09:30 PM
Linux all the way, Windows takes so long to shutdown and startup which is just a basic funtion too

kona4
27th November, 2010, 03:52 PM
now linux ubint

charlie1
27th November, 2010, 05:15 PM
Can you get virus or adware on linux

father ted
27th November, 2010, 08:12 PM
Can you get virus or adware on linux

ive not had one and ive been using it on a note book i bought 2 years ago

kaosking007
3rd January, 2011, 09:46 AM
I too converted to linux about 3 years ago. Never looked back! I have to use windows at work and so keep up to date with it though, but get me home and I sigh relief!

Never had a virus in that time by the way....

blueflash234
3rd January, 2011, 10:10 AM
distrowatch.com for all ur links to any linux distro

nush
4th January, 2011, 12:13 PM
ive been using ubuntu for 18 months or more in that time ive only heard of one virus. it never got on my system, if you only download from trusted sources you shouldnt get a problem. as most viruses are designed to attack windows based computers operating systems like ubuntu remain fairly safe.

ps. it is so much faster than windows
nush

flyingpig
8th January, 2011, 02:59 PM
ive been using ubuntu for 18 months or more in that time ive only heard of one virus. it never got on my system, if you only download from trusted sources you shouldnt get a problem. as most viruses are designed to attack windows based computers operating systems like ubuntu remain fairly safe.

ps. it is so much faster than windows
nush

Faster, cheaper (free), abundance of support software which is free, easier to install (most drivers install str8 away with Ubuntu 8.04 upwards), more secure, less viruses, easy to use, a superb GUI.

On all the laptops and pc's in this house, they have Windows XP home edition installed first then a copy of Ubuntu installed afterwards, as Ubuntu will create the startup boot menu and partition the drives as well. Its then easy to switch between Ubuntu an windows, an the kids only use widows now when they need to run something in windows, but the eldeset has started using WINE and got a good grip of it.

nush
11th January, 2011, 01:03 AM
sounds like we are preaching to the converted. but i am a fan

bigrino
11th January, 2011, 01:33 AM
Ya i think Ubuntu is great and some how i dont need to install drivers, it just kows all my hardware:D

C64
11th January, 2011, 02:43 AM
Most new converts will soon be reverting back to Windows.

Linux is fine, but for many it's just too much of a change.

I prefer stolen Windows with stolen apps.

I suppose I should say that IMO it's better than a MAC running OSX, which is a prostituted edition of Linux anyway.

Linux = Yay.
OSX = No Thanks.

jrdztech
14th January, 2011, 03:23 AM
Hello everyone, I have been using Ubuntu and Xubunto for around four years, I have never experience any problem whatsoever, NONE at all, i was a windows fan born and raised, but my brother who is more computer savvy (IT tech) build a machine for me to try, since the first time I tried, I was hook to it, simple to use, fast, versatile and free.
Best OS ever.
Try it, learn it, enjoy it!