PDA

View Full Version : leaking roof

mickeyboy
3rd October, 2010, 08:11 PM
hi ,we live in a terrace home ,and next doors chimney is leaking ,trickling down the inside of my wall ,he says it is my problem as he is only responsible for 3 sides ,is there any roofers out there ,or anyone can give me advice please

Grizz
3rd October, 2010, 08:27 PM
can you provide more details? or pics? im not a roofer but i built my own roof (and chimney) Not sure of the legalities of it but i definitely wouldnt be taking his advice on whether its his fault or not. if you damaged his chimney or house fixing it i bet he wouldnt be asking you.

mickeyboy
3rd October, 2010, 08:33 PM
can you provide more details? or pics? im not a roofer but i built my own roof (and chimney) Not sure of the legalities of it but i definitely wouldnt be taking his advice on whether its his fault or not. if you damaged his chimney or house fixing it i bet he wouldnt be asking you.

i have no pic's ,but the problem is we share a party wall ,and in the attic on my side is the leak but his chimney is right above it ,because the flashing comes onto my property he as said i am responsible for my side

Grizz
3rd October, 2010, 08:36 PM
is it cracked on the wall, or is it coming from the flashing?

topsi
3rd October, 2010, 08:37 PM
If the leak comes from inside the chimney then it is his problem, if the leak is between the the roof and the chimney on your side then its your problem,this is due to flashing break either lead or concrete.:hmmmm2:

mickeyboy
3rd October, 2010, 08:39 PM
is it cracked on the wall, or is it coming from the flashing?

i think it is his flashing

mickeyboy
3rd October, 2010, 08:40 PM
If the leak comes from inside the chimney then it is his problem, if the leak is between the the roof and the chimney on your side then its your problem,this is due to flashing break either lead or concrete.:hmmmm2:

even though this is not my chimney or my flashing ?

Grizz
3rd October, 2010, 08:45 PM
thats easier fix, but not sure whos responsibility it is to repair. i would think that any part of his chimney that is causing damage to you house is his responsibility.

topsi
3rd October, 2010, 08:46 PM
This chimney side must run up on your side of the house in order for you to have a leak from it, if it did not then you would not have a leak showing:hmmmm2:

mickeyboy
3rd October, 2010, 08:51 PM
This chimney side must run up on your side of the house in order for you to have a leak from it, if it did not then you would not have a leak showing:hmmmm2:

inside my attic i cannot see any part of his chimney ,but the party wall must be the back of it ,as i said it looks like the flashing as the chimney is directly above where the leak is

topsi
3rd October, 2010, 08:57 PM
Then I have bad news for you if you can see the leak then it must be coming in on your side of the roof all you need to do is reflash your side under the old stuff

Grizz
3rd October, 2010, 08:59 PM
have you access to the roof to examine it? you need to get a look at the chimney to see the condition of the flashing on your side and see if there is damage/cracks to the plaster/bricks above it.

mickeyboy
3rd October, 2010, 09:09 PM
have you access to the roof to examine it? you need to get a look at the chimney to see the condition of the flashing on your side and see if there is damage/cracks to the plaster/bricks above it.

cant see it from where i stand ,but if it is in need of repair and it is my responsibility ,i will pay it even though it is not my chimney ,it was the neighbour saying he is only responsible for the 3 sides on his property ,and the other side is mine .

Grizz
3rd October, 2010, 09:14 PM
wise move i think, esp if its a minor repair, your gonna have to live next door after all. are you gonna do it yourself?

mickeyboy
3rd October, 2010, 09:19 PM
wise move i think, esp if its a minor repair, your gonna have to live next door after all. are you gonna do it yourself?

your right there grizz ,gonna get some one in ,thanks for your advice mate ,just hope its not expensive as i have been made redundant 6 months ago , and no prospect for any jobs yet . thanks again

Grizz
3rd October, 2010, 09:25 PM
no bother, good luck with it.

patkins
3rd October, 2010, 10:53 PM
Hi mickeyboy, there are mastic /tar like sealers available from hardware shops that will seal your leak temporarily - you should get a year out of a covering of it- until , hopefully, things improve in the employment area.
The thing is the sun hardens the sealer after a while and it cracks. It is like soft tar but hardens and should you go for this mind your clothing as I used one a few years ago and the instructions read that if you get on clothes- don`t bother trying to wash off as a waste of time.
Of course,regardless of whose proble it is, it is a damaging leak if left unattended and I would not imagime that reapplying new flashing would be a very expensive job.
You can always price around bearing in mind that a scaffold may be needed. Best of luck.

chroma
3rd October, 2010, 10:55 PM
cant see it from where i stand ,but if it is in need of repair and it is my responsibility ,i will pay it even though it is not my chimney ,it was the neighbour saying he is only responsible for the 3 sides on his property ,and the other side is mine .

Simples, pour concrete over the lot, a lot of concrete till you make a nice gas/water proofed sarcophagus, once his house fills with smoke you can simply say "its not my problem, i fixed my leak."

mickeyboy
4th October, 2010, 08:05 AM
Simples, pour concrete over the lot, a lot of concrete till you make a nice gas/water proofed sarcophagus, once his house fills with smoke you can simply say "its not my problem, i fixed my leak."

might try that as a last resort chroma

DogdySnigwirter
4th October, 2010, 07:43 PM
I disagree with the '' i'm only responsible for 3 sides ''

If the chimney is solely in the use of your neighbour then he is responsible for it's upkeep.

If said chimney fell down would you be required to pay a quarter ? I don't think so.

If the chimney is built entirely within his property with the flashing on your side then point out the fact that the lead flashing is 'supposed' to be intergrated to the chimney and merely rests on your tiles.

If you have insurance phone for 'legal' advice.

If your worried this could affect your premiums or you have no insurance then check your car insurance or bank cards as a lot of these offer free legal advice

mickeyboy
5th October, 2010, 08:18 AM
I disagree with the '' i'm only responsible for 3 sides ''

If the chimney is solely in the use of your neighbour then he is responsible for it's upkeep.

If said chimney fell down would you be required to pay a quarter ? I don't think so.

If the chimney is built entirely within his property with the flashing on your side then point out the fact that the lead flashing is 'supposed' to be intergrated to the chimney and merely rests on your tiles.

If you have insurance phone for 'legal' advice.

If your worried this could affect your premiums or you have no insurance then check your car insurance or bank cards as a lot of these offer free legal advice

this is the answer i was looking for ,you have been a great help ,are you a solicitor by the way ?

Grizz
5th October, 2010, 01:00 PM
i wouldnt like to give any advice that would put anyone in danger, but Pats suggestion is exactly what i would do if i was temporarily low on cash, A ladder to the gutter. a roofing ladder to the ridge caps, a tube of Rito and a steely look in my eye. you can tie a safety rope from top of roofing ladder to something solid on other side of house.(and maybe a mate with a safety rope tied to you) but please be careful if you decide to go that route.

kadir1973
5th October, 2010, 01:17 PM
that's good Idea

lewshanks
5th October, 2010, 01:20 PM
Just pulled a builder over in the street ,and he reckons if you can prove its his flashing that the leak is coming from,and it goes to bad workmanship ,then basically "he aint got a pot to piss in " advice not mine ......

Gaz

DogdySnigwirter
5th October, 2010, 06:49 PM
this is the answer i was looking for ,you have been a great help ,are you a solicitor by the way ?

No, sorry ... I'm on the tools and do work for landlords etc ...
I have heard/seen disputes with different circumstances involving properties but this one is simple ...

It's not yours.

DogdySnigwirter
5th October, 2010, 06:51 PM
i wouldnt like to give any advice that would put anyone in danger, but Pats suggestion is exactly what i would do if i was temporarily low on cash, A ladder to the gutter. a roofing ladder to the ridge caps, a tube of Rito and a steely look in my eye. you can tie a safety rope from top of roofing ladder to something solid on other side of house.(and maybe a mate with a safety rope tied to you) but please be careful if you decide to go that route.

If you choose that route then lift a couple of his tiles and chuck a few rats in :D

mickeyboy
5th October, 2010, 07:01 PM
If you choose that route then lift a couple of his tiles and chuck a few rats in :D

done ha ha

skywash
6th October, 2010, 12:57 AM
try putting where you live you never know might be someone on d.k. who could help out in some way, worth a try m8

mickeyboy
6th October, 2010, 08:08 AM
try putting where you live you never know might be someone on d.k. who could help out in some way, worth a try m8

done ,rossendale ,lancashire

Grizz
8th December, 2010, 12:24 PM
how did you get on Mickey? how did it turn out in the end?

mickeyboy
8th December, 2010, 02:06 PM
found out he had new aerial fitted ,and whoever fitted it broke four of my tiles ,walking around the chimney ,I had these replaced at a cost of ?40 ,but it was still leaking ,got another roofer who said his flashing was split and his chimney wanted a bit of pointing ,i agreed to have this done with shared cost to neighbour ?20 each ,think it has cured problem ,but got no money of neighbour ,i hope he gets a bloody big leak ,thanks for asking ,by the way he is a small businessman ,and i am still on dole ,getting no money because wife works more than 24 hours.

Grizz
8th December, 2010, 02:26 PM
Dont worry the wheel of fate always turns. it'll bite him in the @ss someday.