PDA

View Full Version : CUMMINS N-14 CELECT PROBLEM

dieselman77
4th October, 2010, 11:22 PM
HAVING A BIT OF A PROBLEM WITH CELECT AND WONDERING IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME OUT ? HERE IS THE PROBLEM THER TRUCK MAX RPM IS 2100 400HP AND IT KEEPS CUTTING THE RPM BACK TO 1600-1700 AND IF YOU KEEP THE PEDAL TO THE FLOOR IT WILL NOT ACCELERATE ANYMORE IT STAYS RIGHT WHERE IT IT IT LOSES ASS POWER AND JUST FALLS ON ITS FACE DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS PLUGGED IN INSITE AND DROVE AROUND FOR AND HOUR YESTERDAY AND NO CODES POPPING UP COULD IT BE THE SPEED SENSORE ? FUEL PEDAL ? OR EVEN THE FUEL PUMP ? PLEASE ANY HELP THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

RSwire
5th October, 2010, 01:01 AM
Any unusual smoke? Had a 3406 die on power due to a hair line crack in a fuel line flare sucking air. But I think Cummins are rather sensitive on fuel pressure/flow. How good is the fuel return flow? Just a couple of suggestions. Hope this helps.

dieselman77
5th October, 2010, 01:15 AM
getting the gauge to check the pressure as we speak should have in the morning i think its the ecm acting up its 15 years old and it sat for about 5+ years gonna get an ecm from a friend of mine tomorrow and swap them out and see if the problem goes away i think its going to solve the problem if not it going to be time to start chasing all the wires down and find corrosion or lose wires somewhere thanks for you help

atetruckrepair
5th October, 2010, 01:35 AM
an educated guess would be it's starving for fuel no codes probally not an ecm related problem we all sometimes go for the electronics first and forget the basics

dieselman77
5th October, 2010, 02:29 AM
thank you very much its my cousins truck and i asked a good friend of mine that worked at cummins up the street for 5 years and he said the fuel pump is probably slipping and not keeping up with pressure but i keep getting argued with so i am just going to wash my hands with the situation he kept trying to say it was the recalibration to higher horsepower so i turned it back to 350hp and it still does the same thing i guess after he takes it cummins and pays $2000 for them to fix it and tell him he needs a fuel pump then he will listen the pump is only $300-400 when i called cummins thank you again have a good day

hercamp
5th October, 2010, 03:49 AM
your problem my friend can be the vehicle speed sensor ...I ve seen a lot of times ..with.no codes....change for other that works ok and see if the problem is solved. ..

jctech
5th October, 2010, 07:38 AM
Fuel Pump problem
Fuel pressure from the gear pump should be 120-150 PSI, the more the better, engine will run OK with 70 PSI (but not for long)
There is a pressure relief valve inside the fuel pump that can get debris in it and cause erratic fuel pressure.

Vehicle Speed Sensor problem
Using Insite, check the parameter "Engine Speed without VSS", if required set this figure up at rated speed, also check that "VSS antitamper" is disabled.

The truck speedometer signal was often taken from the ECM speed signal generator at the rear of the transmission, over time the signal generated became too weak to support both the ECM and the speedo, the ECM requires a stronger signal and fails to recognize the weak signal, the speedo functions OK. Solution fit a second speed sensor and wire direct to ECM, disconnect ECM from speedo.

dieselman77
5th October, 2010, 09:53 AM
thank you the anti tamper is disabled i will try the check engine speed without vss i think it is a combination of a few things but fuel pressure is definitely the main one thank you all again for all of your help have a good day

jctech
12th October, 2010, 05:05 AM
thank you the anti tamper is disabled i will try the check engine speed without vss i think it is a combination of a few things but fuel pressure is definitely the main one thank you all again for all of your help have a good day

Let us know how you got on, and what was wrong..............

dieselman77
12th October, 2010, 05:21 AM
gladly tell you and i am ashamed to say this but it was a clogged fuel filter the first thing i told him was to change the fuel filter it was clogged but he said he just did a service on the truck used a really bad batch of fuel or maybe it was just the cheap baldwin filter he threw on it i want to kick my cousin in the a$$ lol

jctech
13th October, 2010, 11:01 PM
gladly tell you and i am ashamed to say this but it was a clogged fuel filter the first thing i told him was to change the fuel filter it was clogged but he said he just did a service on the truck used a really bad batch of fuel or maybe it was just the cheap baldwin filter he threw on it i want to kick my cousin in the a$$ lol

Unless you ckeck it yourself.................................

dtrucks
28th October, 2010, 04:37 AM
Hey buddy next time u have that filter problem try and hook a vacuum gauge to the compucheck fitting before the fuel pump the compucheck fitting on top of fuel pump is for pressure only and it will not show a drop in pressure but with with a vacuum gauge u will lose vacuum if filter is clogged or the lines going back to the fuel tanks r bad sometimes fuel lines will suck air but not leak fuel because it is pulling a vacuum another way to rule out a filter or cracked filter housing is run the fuel lines in a bucket of fuel and see if your problem still exists by doing this u can also tell if u have compression coming from your return line this would mean that your injector o-rings could be getting bad or blown out

elslow
31st October, 2010, 05:39 AM
CAN SOME ONE HELP ME I WAS DOING A CALIBRATION UPGRADE ON CELECT PLUS ECM 3084473 IT DID AM ERROR
AND I COULD NOT CONNECT WITH INSITE SO I DID THE BOOT ROM STEPS AND I STARTED TO CALIBRATE AND IT DID ERROR AGAIN AT 70 PERCENT I HAVE TRIED IT 6 TIMES AND IT DOES THE SAME THING IT GIVE ME CALIBRATION DOWNLOAD FAILED I TRIED IT WITH DIFRENT CALIBRATIONS BUT STILL THE SAME ERROR AT 70 PERCENT IF SOME ONE CAN HELP ME THANK YOU IN ADVANCE:hmmmm2::rangers:

donniemnemonic
21st November, 2010, 06:58 PM
@ Elslow check your stuff mate. not really a guru or anything but I think if your ecm's part number is 3084473 then there is no way it can be a celect plus ecm it should be celect unless you just made a typing error.

elslow
21st November, 2010, 07:43 PM
yes i made an error its a celect when i connect to insite it connects on bootrom with the ignition turn on i dont do the botroom procedure it stills conects in bootroom any help i would apriate it thank you inadvance:rangers:

hercamp
21st November, 2010, 11:17 PM
yeah the ecm will connect in rom boot every time because have the internal memory empty and is prepare to receive the new information ....if is a celect you will need to try to connect in rom but with ignition off...and download the calibration to ecm..try to check after turn off the adapter need to have power...and calibration mos enter..with insite maybe doest let you do a couple times..try again if not luck do same with calterm..in manual and put 07 in manual adress..and download to ecm .
if not contact at pm.will try to help.

rudamie
21st December, 2010, 08:39 PM
Hello Gents,
Great work to all in this thread, thanks for your troubles and contributions.
I just have a little something to add to unsuccessful ECM programing Fauls/ Error's. Not a big one but indeed head wracking.

You should always connect to the nearest ECM connection as possible. Right at the ECM Engine harness.
1. Connecting through the cab harness especially on older trucks, the wiring has had time to "chafe" rub through itself or Cab, we all know Diesel vibrates the sh** out of these trucks.
2. Your also connecting through the dash harness that is a long way for signal to reach the ECM. You know what they say "Lost through interpretation".
3. Use electric clean, to clean out any debris, oil, grease, grime build-up on your Engine harness connectors.
4. Also older connector pins build a tarnish. use a small steel dental pick to clean them rub "slightly" Do not scrape them to thin.
you could also just use the diagnostic connection itself by connecting and disconnecting a few times to clean the pins.
5. Pin tension or pin drag is an other, Lose connection. it may be locked in but if the pin tension is not tight enough it also make for fault error's.
6. A connection at the ECM is the shortest sweetest connection possible 99.9% Fail/ Error free.

These are some of the BIGGEST little things leading to unsucessful ECM Calibrations.
Little things to check that can save you Hundreds $$$ in your precious time to make more money.

Please feel free to add this is not etched in stone.

Hope This helps

Share On...! Don't forget to hit the Thanks button if you agree or if it helps you.

drewwarhard
24th January, 2011, 12:57 AM
also the ecm cooling plate outlet fitting has a checkvalve that gets clogged very easy, but putting two gauges on the compuchek fittings and watch fuel inlet restriction and outlet pressure to the heads. More than 8-12 inhg is bad and needs to hold 120 or better and be steady.