PDA

View Full Version : suggestion

mickyboy
2nd December, 2008, 08:36 PM
ok is it me or are there too many threads filled with (how do i download this and how do i flash that ) in my opinion theres too much clutter where it shouldnt be,,, why not set it up that new members must make thier first post in introduction and read the rulz at the same time ,open a couple of threads like jokes n recipies n that so they can practice posting or better still a thread specially for messing about with posts, then give them a 10 post count before the forum opens up for them and that gives them a feel of the board and stops unnecessary flooding of forums ,,only a suggestion ,,cheerz micky

bodaccea
2nd December, 2008, 09:51 PM
can i just ask you summat - im not being rude to you but honestly think back to when you first joined this forum 'would you have liked being treated this way???'

I agree that there is a huge volume of posts at the moment (sign of the times methinks) but i dont think this is the answer. I think it will all calm down pretty soon. I am sure many of the recent members who just want to download sumat may deserve such a welcome but i dont think its fair to assume every newbie is just here to 'take' or that they are thick, or cant read or summat!! Sorry just think its a bit ott

mickyboy
2nd December, 2008, 10:03 PM
can i just ask you summat - im not being rude to you but honestly think back to when you first joined this forum 'would you have liked being treated this way???'

just about every forum i know has a post count introduction ,believe it or not in the long run it does save time and effort for the staff having to clean up after ppl ,i know what your saying everybody has to start somewhere ,as i suggested above, a practice thread for all that dont know the ropes could learn and be helped before making unnessasary posts ,,makes life easier for us all

doobiest
2nd December, 2008, 10:06 PM
orrrrrrr.....better still ban all the ~~~~ers that joined at the end of november just to get the updates.....you know.... the ones that you wont hear from till the next big hit!

mickyboy
2nd December, 2008, 10:08 PM

I agree that there is a huge volume of posts at the moment (sign of the times methinks) but i dont think this is the answer. I think it will all calm down pretty soon. I am sure many of the recent members who just want to download sumat may deserve such a welcome but i dont think its fair to assume every newbie is just here to 'take' or that they are thick, or cant read or summat!! Sorry just think its a bit ott

orrrrrrr.....better still ban all the ~~~~ers that joined at the end of november just to get the updates.....you know.... the ones that you wont hear from till the next big hit!

yip or you could do that lol

bodaccea
2nd December, 2008, 10:38 PM
Ok i know what your saying - your sick of the unnessesary posts! But earlier you suggested that new members should only post in 'recipes' or sumat but if you think about it if they were into recipe's surely they would join a cookery forum. I didnt come here to share recipes and if i was made to then wouldnt they also be unnessesary posts? I have no interest in that subject and would just waffle on about pot noodles if i had to! I dont know what the solution is, maybe your suggestion will become necessary due to the sheer volume of work for the admin. I hope not. I have spent a few hours answering some of these unnessesaries just to help. maybe if all newbie posts automatically went into one section, then perhaps folk who have made several posts or who have been here x amount of time could answer them. Any real difficult Q's that cant be answered by that group could be filtered up to next level...like a pyramid thing. That way all those with brilliant minds will not be overworked on unessesary's or repetetive queries. Just a thawt. Wouldnt happen. People arent that helpful, tend to leave it to the poor few at the top. Have you read some of the latest 'introductions' - im still a newbie but when i joined i made a proper introduction (probably went on a bit lol) but i did so out of politeness. some of the introductions lately are not introductions at all. They are shameful.

Jaffa
2nd December, 2008, 10:49 PM
some of the introductions lately are not introductions at all. They are shameful.

That is because they need to make one post to get to downloads and they just type anything.

That way all those with brilliant minds will not be overworked on unessesary's or repetetive queries.

As for new members. I don't have a brilliant mind BUT I think I answered the same 4 or 5 questions a couple of hundred times on Fri and Sat and not once did I use a copied text, it was always typed individually. Personally I dont care how many new members come and ask the same question, some of them may have only come onto the tinternet because they had no choice and needed to fix their cable box so to come across a forum structure would have been pretty daunting for them.

The are lots of people right from the top down to new members who have been helping out lately, we always get some great new members when this things happen so imho it is worth it.

just my thoughts.

krazylegz
2nd December, 2008, 10:59 PM
we get a lot of new members whom stick around after sorting their cable boxes out.

i only started on forums when i got my first dbox and once i sussed them myself i started to help other people on a daily basis, however i have since give up on cable and gone onto satellite (much better) and again help when i can.

have a minimum number of posts before they can download is a bad idea, we had a 5 limit on here when we first started out but people were just posting 5 posts of total crap making the mods/admins job harder.

if people are too thick to read their welcome email or stickies then theres not much we can do apart from try to help them, but we cant spot every arse posting crap as at the minute the number of new registrations/posts is far too high....i've been online since 6pm tonight and still got 582 unread posts.

so the reason for me posting all this crap is just grin and bear it, will get better soon and i firmly believe we have a fair few members who stick around as its proving already which can only be a good thing for the forum:)

bodaccea
2nd December, 2008, 11:11 PM
i got another suggestion .... instead of baning anyone, they could be put on probation and be made to answer all the dumb ass questions. hehe

Just another 'blonde' thought!!! hey can we have a blonde smiley please x

clit-eastwood
2nd December, 2008, 11:12 PM
Ha ha ha, yeah and a bit of community work lol

winker
2nd December, 2008, 11:15 PM
Also remeber some newbies are only newbies because they just joined, doesn't mean they have nothing to offer in terms of experience in the "outside" world. ;)

cantona7
2nd December, 2008, 11:15 PM

i joined in april after the lest vm roll over if this post had been put up then me and a few other members who are on here nearly everyday would have been banned then,so on this note i'll disagree with you i'm afraid!!!!!

aftermath
2nd December, 2008, 11:22 PM
i joined in april after the lest vm roll over if this post had been put up then me and a few other members who are on here nearly everyday would have been banned then,so on this note i'll disagree with you i'm afraid!!!!!

well said cantona1 m8

Devilfish
2nd December, 2008, 11:22 PM
We could remove the 1 post required for download, that would solve it.

But then all our bandwidth and resources would be getting used up and we would have nothing to show for it.

The post requirement is much larger on other forums.

I have an idea which will force new members to read a thread before they can post. We'll see if that helps.

But this is the nature of the forums. People didn't come here because they were bored one day, they came here for a purpose. Once they've got what they want, chances are they will never come back until they need us again. We can only hope that some stay and contribute to the community. It's as simple as that. We will never be able to fix this problem. And the quicker people see that the better. I know it's irritating but I can assure you it will pass over and die down.

.: JaCkPoT :.
3rd December, 2008, 12:59 AM
When i joined this forum i went into the satellite section and started helping straight away.. I knew nothing about cable but instead of starting threads id read what was already there and most often id find my answer. So i think the idea in post 1 aint the best but thanks for your opinion. Not lying here at all but if this forum didnt have a satellite section then i doubt id be posting now.
People will share knowledge if they have it!