PDA

View Full Version : SKY HD Software Update

MetalKettle
5th October, 2010, 12:52 PM
Hey all

no doubt some of you SKY HD subscribers have noticed that you have recieved a sftware update in the last few weeks? Not all boxes have yet, but im sure all the Amstrads are being done at the mo.

Anyway, the new software is now open source, SKY even give everyone the oppurtunity to download/request on a cd rom the code.

The intersting thing now is.. would there be a way to alter the code, reflash to box, or find an exploit in the code which could open up their enctyption? Plus the box now has the ethenet port enabled for the Anytime Plus (could this be abused somehow?). Just a thought, afterall thats how the ondigital encryption was comprimised, If my memory is correct?

Any thoughts?

dave-h
5th October, 2010, 12:56 PM
They've always used open source S/W, along with third party middleware. The only thing thats changed is the GNU license agreement, which means they now have to inform you of the open source code.

Do you really think Sky/NDS would implement S/W that could compromise the security of their CA system?

MetalKettle
5th October, 2010, 01:13 PM
I thought the old software was produced by OpenTV and so was closed source?

The new software is apparently Linux based. So can we manipulate it?

MetalKettle
5th October, 2010, 01:28 PM
Do you really think Sky/NDS would implement S/W that could compromise the security of their CA system?

Not knowingly, no. But surely every opensource addon leaves the box wider open?

dave-h
5th October, 2010, 01:35 PM
I thought the old software was produced by OpenTV and so was closed source? OpenTV used Open Source code, but they didn't initially make the code available to public, until they got sued by the FSF for being in breach of license.

The new software is apparently Linux based. So can we manipulate it? As i said the core middleware is third-party/proprietry S/W, only certain elements are Open source.

www1.sky.com/opensourcesoftware/SkyHD/ (http://www1.sky.com/opensourcesoftware/SkyHD/)

Likvid
8th October, 2010, 06:12 PM
Why hasn't anyone released 3rd part image for these boxes yet as part of the sources are out?

Enabling diseqc would be great so you could use it with a motorized dish, the hardware can do it, it's just disabled in software.

dave-h
8th October, 2010, 07:27 PM
I seem to remember Nabilosat had a go at trying to get Enigma 2 running on a Sky box...

dctyper
9th October, 2010, 08:46 AM
would be great as these boxes are proven to be very reliable

dave-h
9th October, 2010, 10:13 AM
would be great as these boxes are proven to be very reliable:rolleyes: You're joking, right?