PDA

View Full Version : help to build...

airidas69
5th October, 2010, 02:22 PM
Hi i have an old laptop would it be posible to build Laptop based diagnostics, but how i connect cable from a car to laptop and make it work,software you can get, but cable set from laptop to car , i cant find it....thanks..

paro44
5th October, 2010, 02:45 PM
You need an interface that has a usb- or serial-connector (if your laptop have it) on one side to plug into your laptop. The other side depends on your car: (mosly) all newer cars have a 16 pin obdII or eobd plug. Older cars have manufacturer specific plugs.

So look for the plug your car have, than you see what interface is needed.

Cheap tools with good usability are kkl-cable or cable with elm 327 chips, they fit to alot of cars. Simple interfaces (like kkl-cable) can done by yourself or search the net and you will find alot of chinese sellers.

If you tell us what car you have (make, model, year) and what you wanna do with it the help can be more specific.

airidas69
5th October, 2010, 03:08 PM
i got some snap on cables from ethos tool could i use them on laptop? do i need a converter for usb?or something like it.?

paro44
5th October, 2010, 03:18 PM
I think that a simple adapter won`t work and cannot made easily.

I don't know that snap on tool but i guess there is alot of electronic inside and the cables won't work without that.

airidas69
5th October, 2010, 03:22 PM
yea but i'm only using snap on cable software is on laptop, will the software will read the cable?

paro44
5th October, 2010, 03:40 PM
If the cable don't have a computer specific connector (usb, serial..) i guess you need that "black box" that have this connector.

My guess is that the software can't read the cable, even if you somehow wire it to the computer.

Maybe someone with that snap on tool can help...

Larue
5th October, 2010, 07:59 PM
OK. Let's get clear.
First of all You must now what You want to do with cars. If You mean diagnostics - You should buy tools for that. If You are planning some programming stuff - so You should buy tools for that an so on.
Just tell us what laptop do You have? Has it COM port or not.... give as more information, please, and we could give You more.

oldford
6th October, 2010, 12:43 PM
Snap-on cables are NOT suitable for use with a laptop.
They expect a 12 volt signal for most ISO communications and not the standard PC -12 to + 12 volt RS232 signal.
Buy a ELM327 cable for EOBD/OBD2 diagnostics if the car supports that. Otherwise you need something specific for each and every car make.

airidas69
18th October, 2010, 09:47 PM
so i got one of these cables what software would you people recomend for start and for latter eg expert status. :) do i need many diagnostics software ?

Larue
18th October, 2010, 10:08 PM
so i got one of these cables what software would you people recomend for start and for latter eg expert status. :) do i need many diagnostics software ?
Which cables You get? For which programs? How they are called?Every program use it's own cable or if it's like ELM 327 cable so You can use it with different software....

airidas69
20th October, 2010, 09:16 AM
hi sorry for long reply's i got two cables kkl-cable and cable with elm 327 chip... or elm 327 cable... what other cables would you recomend with what software?for diagnostics i got 4 cars in my garage ford smax 07 honda civic 06 renaulth clio 98 and audi a4 s line 07 just want to get some cables and some software (personal use) to work on my car's, and just to try it out...

teuton
20th October, 2010, 03:05 PM
All deends ondpthe of diag. ya wanna do. Elm will aloww you to do engines on the 3 newer ones. If you want more:
For renault software DDT 2000, works with KKL cable.

The audi, as its CAN already, will work best with any VCDS cable and soft from version 704 upwards.

Ford might be FordCom, Honda will be Fly100 or higher version.

It all depends on your needs mate, consider buying a universal scanner as pc-version like autoboss and you might be better off.

Larue
20th October, 2010, 07:23 PM
I think You can Try to read Audi with ELM cable. There should be CAN protocol support, but it's working only for engine, so You will be able to read fault codes and clear them.
The same about Renault and Ford.
I'm in doubt about Honda. Theoretically it should be EOBD compatible and readable throw that interface, but practically I don't think so.
I agree with teuton. It would be more useful to get some univerasl scanner. And I saw some chinese VAG CAN interface working with 10.6 VAG COM software on ebay another day - that would be perfect for AUDI.
Abut ELM software....there is a lot of modifications about that like Scan Master etc. So I don't think there is a problem to get and try some cracked software from the internet.

paro44
21st October, 2010, 08:21 AM
Since the renault is from 1998 i guess it won't work with elm interface. Ford and audi should work with elm (for engine). About honda i don't know but theoretically it should work, too.

Since you already have an elm interface why not try to connect it to every car you own? So you can see if that is enough information or if you need deeper diagnostics.
If your cars has no can bus and it works with kkl cable you can try fullscantechobdii. I read that it should work on 2006 civic.

For diagnostics on engine, abs and airbag there is the autel maxidiag 701 to 704 series the cheapest i guess. You just need one of them and load the needed software on it (ford, honda, renault, vw).

Teuton already named the factory level tools you can get.