PDA

View Full Version : NAG 3 CRACKED ?

JIMCEE
7th October, 2010, 02:00 PM
Please dont take this as gospel from me but read and digest it for what its worth. we all live in hope. Re: Christopher Tarnovsky aka Talking about Hacking NAG3 // 2010-02-04

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by sat guy
C / P

Christopher Tarnovsky aka talking about hacking // 2010-02-04
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Black Hat DC Conference 2010 -- The ultra-secure technology used to protect some of the world's most commonly used microchips might not be so secure, a researcher said here today.

Christopher Tarnovsky, a researcher at Flylogic Engineering who has made a business of hacking "unhackable" chip technology and other hardware, was at it again today with the revelation of vulnerabilities in the Infineon SLE 66 CL PE chip, which is widely used in computers, gaming systems, identity cards, and other electronics.

Tarnovsky offered a step-by-step explanation of his successful efforts to crack the chip's defenses using electron microscopy. During the course of about nine months, Tarnovsky said he was able to bypass the chip's myriad defenses and tap into its stored information without detection or chip failure.

"I'm not saying it was easy, but this technology is not as secure as some vendors would like you to think," Tarnovsky said.

Using a painstaking process of analyzing the chip, Tarnovsky was able to identify the core and create a "bridge map" that enabled the bypass of its complex web of defenses, which is set up to disable the chip if tampering occurs. After creating the map, he used ultra-small needles to tap into the data bus -- without disturbing the protective mesh -- and essentially "read" all of the chip's stored data, including encryption keys and unique manufacturing information.

Using this data, criminals could potentially re-create the chip in order to develop counterfeit systems or subvert widely used systems, Tarnovsky said. Such exploits could allow criminals to break through the defenses of pay TV services, medical ID systems, or even Microsoft's much-vaunted Xbox license chip, he said.

Tarnovsky said he has informed Infineon of the flaws he has discovered, but so far the company has not responded. "Their initial reaction was to tell me that what I'd done was impossible," he said. "Then when I sent them some video and the code that I just showed [to the Black Hat audience], they went quiet. I have not heard back from anybody."

In addition to Infineon, Tarnovsky said he informed officials at the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) standards organization, which sets security guidelines for the widely used PC chip standard. But he has not heard back from them, either.

Tarnovsksy said he believes similar exploits would be possible with other chips as well as Infineon's, though he has not attempted them yet. The exploits would not be easy to reproduce -- Tarnovsky said he went through many chips and many needles, and electron microscope time costs $350 per hour. "But the reason it took so long was not so much what the vendors have done, but me learning how to do it," he said. "Once you know what to do, it's not incredibly hard."

Personally I think Chris was wrong to give them any clues or help of what he did. :congrats:

Pad578
7th October, 2010, 02:34 PM
Not very likely m8 that someone would go to all that trouble and expense just so he could tell them he cracked it.

Much more money to be made in selling the information to people who would put it to better use.

JIMCEE
7th October, 2010, 04:13 PM
This has been posted on here with the best intentions and that some of the more knowledgeable DKrs can maybe read more into it and see that there might be light at the end of the tunnel in the foreseeable future, as i said we live in hope.

Pad578
7th October, 2010, 04:53 PM
Not knocking your post, a lot of what he said in there was way over my head, I just dont see the point in spending $350 an hour on a piece of equipment to crack the code only to go and tell them about it.

unless he is trying to get a job with them.

Like you I hope it does get cracked one day

Paulcollins1968
8th October, 2010, 07:12 PM
i second that my friend....
HI IM A NEWBEE IM GETTING A DDIGITAL DUO TOMORROW ANY HELP ON SET UP

kenny s
8th October, 2010, 08:08 PM
epic fail on the digital duo

super jumbe
8th October, 2010, 09:54 PM
Looks as if we are all were we started I can wait for as long as life remains on this planet.

:hmmmm2:

wobble
8th October, 2010, 10:01 PM
can all members make a mental note of this thread and the name of this guy Christopher Tarnovsky if you dont already know of him,these type of threads about him pop up every now and again..also you will come across these youtube videos of him over the next few years

YouTube - How to Reverse-Engineer a Satellite TV Smart Card

YouTube - Black Hat DC 2010: Hacking the Smartcard Chip 2/8

super jumbe
8th October, 2010, 10:16 PM
Well he is not making money so who cares let him find a bit of time to cheers us all

:sleep:

alunfennell
9th October, 2010, 12:58 AM
I have been informed that No Hacking Teams in Europe are working on or have an interest in Hacking N3, for the simple reason Sales of IP Receivers is sky High and money made by Pay Card servers is flowing in from all across Europe to different servers.

Hacking an Encryption is primary done to sell Receivers firstly, secondly any inconvenience to certain provides comes way down the list, nearly every encryption hack involves money, Paying Teams to do so can cost 10s of Millions usually paid for by Receiver manufactures, this is passed on to customers in the form of programmable card, Cams or special receiver.

Since Card sharing & Sales of IP receivers is at an all time high, nothing will be Hacked and any free Cable or Satellite in the future seems very very unlikely untill the Day comes Card sharing is put to sleep.

The next Generation of Hacking is going down a different direction with IPTV starting to come online with Dreamboxs etc over the past few months, so there will be no need for even a satellite dish as every channels will come through the internet, (Its already started)

Its the End of openly hacked Television via EMU & Keys (Forget it)

super jumbe
9th October, 2010, 08:26 AM
Point taken alunfennell! but lets come back to Nag3 cracked who ever does crack the software he will automatically be a millionaire should we all spend a bit of time and try to crack Nag3?

:ridinghorse:

gmb45
9th October, 2010, 08:34 AM
as alun said m8 wont happen, as i understand it, to start you have to get into the chip, stripping layers away and using a scanning electron microscope, try getting hold of one of them ~~~~ers, to much money being made thru c/s boxes/server fees, simply wont happen m8, the days of the simple plug and play boxes is well a truly over.

manxspud
9th October, 2010, 10:34 AM
I agree with @alunfennell, as long as the money is coming in from somewhere , why go to all the expense of paying huge amounts of money for a hack.

Times change and we have to change to keep up or move on.

@manx

taff26ra
10th October, 2010, 02:31 PM
IVE GOT A EUROVOX 1100 USB I CAN STILL FIND ALL CHANNELS IN THE SCAN BUT ONLY THE NORMAL NCHANNELS WORK ALL THE REST AR EBLANK BUT STILL ARE THERE I8S THIS THAT NEW NAG 3 BLOCKING ME OUT AND IF SO IS THIS EVER GONNA BE POSSIBLE TO GET CRACKED OR IS THERE OTHER MEANS OF GETTING TV MAYBE ILL HAVE TO SCRAP THE BOX ALTOGETHER WHAT YOU REKON GUYS

manxspud
10th October, 2010, 02:40 PM
1st please turn off your caps, its considered shouting and rude.

read the N3 faq (http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f10/nagravision3-faq-160775/#post768411)

Have a read through the cable and sat forums. Either way
you will need a new box.

@manx

stealth7
11th October, 2010, 01:38 AM
N3 has ruined my sundays,eurovox is dead, what sat options r available? cheers.

marvelous
12th October, 2010, 11:07 AM
So can I just confirm, what are Eurovox EX1000SL used for from now? Anything? Or just dead?

Got one just sat here, not sure what to do.. bin it or keep it as a freeview box maybe??

Cheers

gauntlet
12th October, 2010, 12:13 PM
So can I just confirm, what are Eurovox EX1000SL used for from now? Anything? Or just dead?

Got one just sat here, not sure what to do.. bin it or keep it as a freeview box maybe??

Cheers
It is useless now mate but you could use it as a door stop.As for a freeview box,you won't get many channels except 1 to 5 and a few others.:motz:

super jumbe
12th October, 2010, 02:01 PM
Christopher Tarnovsky is he by any way related to our Dracula Christopher Lee if he is you can keep the box in the attic and may be one day!
:ridinghorse:

kevlinks
12th October, 2010, 02:50 PM
I have been informed that No Hacking Teams in Europe are working on or have an interest in Hacking N3, for the simple reason Sales of IP Receivers is sky High and money made by Pay Card servers is flowing in from all across Europe to different servers.

Hacking an Encryption is primary done to sell Receivers firstly, secondly any inconvenience to certain provides comes way down the list, nearly every encryption hack involves money, Paying Teams to do so can cost 10s of Millions usually paid for by Receiver manufactures, this is passed on to customers in the form of programmable card, Cams or special receiver.

Since Card sharing & Sales of IP receivers is at an all time high, nothing will be Hacked and any free Cable or Satellite in the future seems very very unlikely untill the Day comes Card sharing is put to sleep.

The next Generation of Hacking is going down a different direction with IPTV starting to come online with Dreamboxs etc over the past few months, so there will be no need for even a satellite dish as every channels will come through the internet, (Its already started)

Its the End of openly hacked Television via EMU & Keys (Forget it)

You've hit the nail smack bang on the head m8..........:bandit:

johnboy1974
12th October, 2010, 09:31 PM
of course they might be making loads of money just now from boxes that access the internet but dont you think if nag3 was cracked everyone would buy the new box that went with it? of course they would.

derry1962
13th October, 2010, 11:49 AM
i knw i 4 1 would get a new box or 2 if nag3 was cracked

tassos
13th October, 2010, 08:22 PM
I dont think all this talk helps, lets find a reliable card sharing server to joint. Any Ideas, Anybody?

satsmo
13th October, 2010, 08:24 PM
Yes anywhere but here Google would be a good place to start.

Bulld0g
13th October, 2010, 08:25 PM
I dont think all this talk helps, lets find a reliable card sharing server to joint. Any Ideas, Anybody?

Yes, start off by reading the rules then look on Google for your answer

manxspud
13th October, 2010, 09:45 PM
Bloominh heck , you MODS are so harsh, give a newbie a break and point em in the right direction ;)

free card sharing server (http://www.1227.com/)

@manx

steven charles
14th October, 2010, 02:01 AM
if a hacked ever comes out,i would be willing to buy new boxes if we were getting all our channels back,lol,,including ppv.....

peng8888
17th November, 2010, 01:58 AM
am in the liverpool area and i watched the fight saturday night live david hay , on my eurovox ,its been dead for months tried it and it came on ppv whats going on ?

peng8888
17th November, 2010, 02:01 AM
It is useless now mate but you could use it as a door stop.As for a freeview box,you won't get many channels except 1 to 5 and a few others.:motz:
why did we get the fight live david haye , on eurovox ? in liverpool

psats
17th November, 2010, 04:55 PM
why did we get the fight live david haye , on eurovox ? in liverpool

it was only soft encrypted

only there box,s had no access if not paid.

cablefreejunkie
17th November, 2010, 10:57 PM
N3 has ruined my sundays,eurovox is dead, what sat options r available? cheers.

try line dancing on a sunday,,its much better fun than sitting in front of the hypnotizer :flybye:

binary
26th November, 2010, 08:13 PM
Hello all, Anyone know what nag3 is? is it the 'handshake'

Bulld0g
26th November, 2010, 08:17 PM
Hello all, Anyone know what nag3 is? is it the 'handshake'

:dontknow: Are you a mason ? If you are and you know the handshake pm gmb45 for the relevant info ;)