PDA

View Full Version : Price for Valves replacement on Polo *Approx* Pleease

scooby5555
7th October, 2010, 06:07 PM
Hi guys,

Right, had no compression on cylinder 3 (Polo 03 1.2 - 3 cylinder) all others were fine.

3 Valves burnt I was told when head came off which I was a bit surprised by - Bit over my head so gave the job to someone else, quoted ?250 ish (rather up to) now wants ?350 for like a few hours work, am I being un-reasonable here?

Valves (3) - ?34
New Gasket ?15
Oil & Fil ?12
Labour - ?180 <<<---------- For a few hours work

Replacing 3 valves would be around ?250 to a non retail customer on trade to trade basis? ?350's a bit steep considering I have sent so much business there and he's screwed my flexi pipe so it sounds worse then it went in with.

Opinions gents? Most grateful as always....

Meat-Head
7th October, 2010, 06:15 PM
1) When see the word 'Valves' in title was thinking of 'sideward facing foo-foo valves'
2) Not that intreasted in this thread now
3) They will have overheads to pay, gas, electric, tv, internet, golf course membership etc
4) Whilst they have your car they are turning away other cars.
5) if 3 valves burnt, suggest
airleak or airflow meter

the_riddler
7th October, 2010, 06:50 PM
1)
5) if 3 valves burnt, suggest
airleak or airflow meter

or any component that will f-up the mixture...

are the prices of parts "What they charged you?? or What you think they should be??"

i would be looking at
Valves...? 10 ish
Gasket???..Head-set..maybe ?50 - ?100.
Oil and filter ? 20 (good oil)
CAMBELT??????
hEADBOLTS?????
Labour..Depends on exactlly what work they do??

scooby5555
7th October, 2010, 07:09 PM
Riddler - Thats how much I can get the parts for and he would have got them from the same place, same price and we would have had that understanding.

No cambelt - Chain drivenoi;
Headbolts would have salvaged old ones
Headgasket ?15
Nothing more then above + labour. ?180 for the labour is reasonable. Wont be using him again..

cactikid
7th October, 2010, 08:13 PM
only valves very surprised,greatest bucket of kak .valve guides not worn or timing chain ,cough and it hops a link

Liteace
7th October, 2010, 08:46 PM
Headbolts would have salvaged old ones

Thats a bit dangerous, they are made of shite these days, if they are stretch bolts they wont pull the head down properly and they are very likely to break or 1 will, the last one just as you've torque'd all the others up

scooby5555
7th October, 2010, 11:16 PM
Parts all listed on sheet saw them, hence head scratch at ?350

dannyuk89
10th October, 2010, 10:00 AM
these are prone to head and bore faults causing missfires doesnt sound like a bad price i wudnt do it for any less.

smirnoff_rules
10th October, 2010, 10:06 AM
if its the chain engine . theres more labour , u have to get to the chain adjuster so here more to take off

Labour - ?180 <<<---------- For a few hours work

l dont think for 1 minutes it was only a few hours

richy_rich
10th October, 2010, 04:37 PM
l dont think for 1 minutes it was only a few hours

Well, at 30 quid an hour that's 6 hours. Doesn't sound unreasonable given the faffing about.