PDA

View Full Version : BMW's and using secondhand EWS boxes

gtmech
8th October, 2010, 09:06 AM
Ok I have been playing alot lately with BMW's and my latest challenge is trying to get a secondhand EWS out of an old car to work in another car. If anyone has tried this I would love to know the trick to it working because I have tried everything. Heres what I did:

1. Found an old EWS box in a wrecked e36 318
2. Removed 2D47J chip from original EWS and read it and saved a copy of it to my PC.
3. Write this 2D47J dump into my secondhand EWS box I found from the wreck..
4. Plug my EWS into the vehicle and try, (NO START)
5. Try cars original to make sure everything is still working (YES ITS WORKING).
6. Program a new key to my EWS and try to start car with new key, (NO START).
7. Remove EWS again and edit dump this time changing the chasis number to that of the car and retry (NO START).
8. Put onto scan tool and look for problem and get error "NO KEY". This is weird since I made a key just for this EWS box. Ok so I make another key and retry (NO START).

The problem is obviously between the key and EWS but how can it be when I have 2 new keys and tthe same dump from the original EWS?

Anyone tried this? What is the trick to getting a secondhand EWS to work (without buying a secondhand DME to match of course). ? Please share your experience here :hmmmm2:

vanos batam
8th October, 2010, 09:45 AM
------------------------------------------------------

gtmech
8th October, 2010, 10:15 AM
hi>>ews part number and Mcu number must same..

Hey buddy, cheers for you info. Well the MCU is the same, there both 2D47J. The 2 EWS modules are out of the identical cars, both 1995 and both 318Ti Compact models.
Why do the EWS part numbers need to be the same mate? I mean whats the difference between them. To look at inside and outside they are absolutely identical to each other so if I take a copy of one chip and duplicate that to the other shouldnt that work or are the other chips inside the EWS also coded somehow which is different?

frick
8th October, 2010, 10:16 AM
Hi,
1.You must virginize your second EWS
2.Sync EWS with ECU
3.Write all keys in your EWS and activate it.
4.Resync EWS with ECU
5.Encode the car.
After that your car start 100%
Best regards!

gtmech
8th October, 2010, 10:24 AM
Hi,
1.You must virginize your second EWS
2.Sync EWS with ECU
3.Write all keys in your EWS and activate it.
4.Resync EWS with ECU
5.Encode the car.
After that your car start 100%
Best regards!

How do you do the steps 1 and 5 mate?

frick
8th October, 2010, 10:32 AM
For 1 step you need a software and lot of knowledge and for step 5 NCSExpert and lot of knowledge.

gtmech
8th October, 2010, 10:43 AM
For 1 step you need a software and lot of knowledge and for step 5 NCSExpert and lot of knowledge.

I have 22 years of electronics knowledge so this electronics stuff doesnt scare me at all. Whats the software you use to virginise it, ill try and hunt it down and have a play?

mage
8th October, 2010, 03:52 PM
With INPA you can read key fixed code. (the key inside barrel and ignition on)
Even with wrong key you can read this code.
And with EWS editor you can look at dump, this fixed code must also be inside dump.

I don't have this problem
When I get EWS from scrap I take old keys also and put transponder chip inside original car key.
I hate program new keys

gtmech
8th October, 2010, 11:46 PM
With INPA you can read key fixed code. (the key inside barrel and ignition on)
Even with wrong key you can read this code.
And with EWS editor you can look at dump, this fixed code must also be inside dump.

I don't have this problem
When I get EWS from scrap I take old keys also and put transponder chip inside original car key.
I hate program new keys

how comw u hate programming new keys?

maaxxyy
9th October, 2010, 02:08 AM
You can also use paSoft 1.36 or 1.4.0, NCSexpert is a pain because its in german, but once you get used to using it, it gets easier. D-can can also be used, with inpa or dis44. For synchronising ecu to ews, if you have original keys with ews try factory reset after editing with ews editor, to get used to the system. You should read up on ews systems ews 1-4, ISN numbers etc. VOR numbers for coding and updating the whole vehicle. Alot to learn, i,ve done a bit myself and it aint that straight forward.

bali motor
9th October, 2010, 07:16 AM
Ok I have been playing alot lately with BMW's and my latest challenge is trying to get a secondhand EWS out of an old car to work in another car. If anyone has tried this I would love to know the trick to it working because I have tried everything. Heres what I did:

2. Removed 2D47J chip from original EWS and read it and saved a copy of it to my PC.
5. Try cars original to make sure everything is still working (YES ITS WORKING).
7. Remove EWS again and edit dump this time changing the chasis number to that of the car and retry (NO START).
8. Put onto scan tool and look for problem and get error "NO KEY". This is weird since I made a key just for this EWS box. Ok so I make another key and retry (NO START).

The problem is obviously between the key and EWS but how can it be when I have 2 new keys and tthe same dump from the original EWS?

Anyone tried this? What is the trick to getting a secondhand EWS to work (without buying a secondhand DME to match of course). ? Please share your experience here :hmmmm2:

you check ring area , and transmiter . I think that is truble.

your car manual tranmision or auto tranmision?

check volt on conector ews.

regard

gtmech
9th October, 2010, 07:45 AM
you check ring area , and transmiter . I think that is truble.

your car manual tranmision or auto tranmision?

check volt on conector ews.

regard

Hi, thanks buddy but nah that aint the problem as I just plug the original EWS into the car again and it goes perfectly.

Its an Auto trans mate

bali motor
9th October, 2010, 08:06 AM
if you need change used ews and use old key.
you read data ews donor change code key and password from old ews. reset rolling code on ews.

if type ews not same (ID HW and SW) ews will can not work.

gtmech
9th October, 2010, 09:12 AM
if you need change used ews and use old key.
you read data ews donor change code key and password from old ews. reset rolling code on ews.

if type ews not same (ID HW and SW) ews will can not work.

i dont understand why programming a new key to the used EWS that i want to use wont work? how can that not work, its just the same procedure as programming a key to the original EWS and that always works. Is the 2D47J software only combined to work with certain ELMOS chips or something so therefore copying the 2D47J software to another EWS with a different ELMOS chip wont work? Im getting so confused im not even making sense now am I guys? :smokin:

bali motor
9th October, 2010, 09:34 AM
i dont understand why programming a new key to the used EWS that i want to use wont work? how can that not work, its just the same procedure as programming a key to the original EWS and that always works. Is the 2D47J software only combined to work with certain ELMOS chips or something so therefore copying the 2D47J software to another EWS with a different ELMOS chip wont work? Im getting so confused im not even making sense now am I guys? :smokin:

ha ha a a a. I know what you want....

you do not change chip (2D47J) you just read eeprom from old ews and write to donor ews.
if you change chip will protect with elmos. but if you have a new chip(2D47J) will can work.

gtmech
9th October, 2010, 11:55 AM

you do not change chip (2D47J) you just read eeprom from old ews and write to donor ews.
if you change chip will protect with elmos. but if you have a new chip(2D47J) will can work.

i have 4 of the 2D47J chips, i just chose one and used that as my used EWS chip was dead so i couldnt use that one i discovered. So i cant just use any 2D47J chip right? Because each EWS 2D47J chip is matched to its own ELMOS chip? Is that what you mean buddy?

bali motor
9th October, 2010, 12:53 PM
i have 4 of the 2D47J chips, i just chose one and used that as my used EWS chip was dead so i couldnt use that one i discovered. So i cant just use any 2D47J chip right? Because each EWS 2D47J chip is matched to its own ELMOS chip? Is that what you mean buddy?

yes right....

just can to change data ews...

gtmech
10th October, 2010, 05:41 AM
yes right....

just can to change data ews...

Cool, thats all I needed to know then, thanks for helping mate :rock:

dizzy_123
10th October, 2010, 09:25 PM
check out smelecom.com they have a reader no unsoldering needed

drivesure
10th October, 2010, 09:54 PM
dont know if i was only lucky but i did exactly this on 3 occassions on ews using 2d47j(e36) bmw. program your original dump on another ews always worked for me. if it does not start just write transponder to a different key number, but it must work. only thing i can think is check soldering on your ews box.

gtmech
10th October, 2010, 11:48 PM
dont know if i was only lucky but i did exactly this on 3 occassions on ews using 2d47j(e36) bmw. program your original dump on another ews always worked for me. if it does not start just write transponder to a different key number, but it must work. only thing i can think is check soldering on your ews box.

I dont know how you got it to work because I have done that exact thing aswell. Anyway here my pics. All I have done is copied the EWS dump form the original and put it into the used EWS, then made new transponder chip and it wont work. As can be seen, the part numbers are Identical? :motz:

vanos batam
11th October, 2010, 12:09 AM
I dont know how you got it to work because I have done that exact thing aswell. Anyway here my pics. All I have done is copied the EWS dump form the original and put it into the used EWS, then made new transponder chip and it wont work. As can be seen, the part numbers are Identical? :motz:

It must work.
Did you cheks the ring area transponder amplifire ?

gtmech
11th October, 2010, 12:23 AM
It must work.
Did you cheks the ring area transponder amplifire ?

it works fine if i put the original one back in. if i disconnect the original and plug the used one in again, nothing?

cjawahir
11th October, 2010, 03:15 AM
it works fine if i put the original one back in. if i disconnect the original and plug the used one in again, nothing?

send me the dump here , what position did you write key ?

cj

vanos batam
11th October, 2010, 03:30 AM
post the dump here..

toms4
11th October, 2010, 04:44 AM
I read posts and...is this clear or tested, working secondhand EWS in secondhand car at all? Maybe secondhand EWS have defect.

bali motor
11th October, 2010, 07:16 AM

just information for ews2 .

writing on the chip:
EWS 01 can not read/write with on board must be remuve the chip
EWS 02 can read / write on board no need remuve the chip

except EWS 01 1D47J from aluminium box it can read/write on board.

if need change used ews pls see type mask the chip and ID ews, HW ews SW ews.

and must be same type, so will be work.

use etl, x-prog, or bmw key maker.

FOR EWS3:

for all type can read/write on bord

If need change ews with used ews do not readand write flash, just write eeprom.

notes.: If EWS is not working properly or can not crank but the physical from the HW ews is good. please try edit dump. usualy dump is corrupt.

I think all it ok.

regard,
komang

gtmech
11th October, 2010, 07:31 AM

Oops! :withstupid: Sorry buddy I read your post wrong. You say read the EEPROM, I havent done that, I just read and duplicated the 2D47J chip. However wouldnt you need to copy the 2D47J aswell as if you dont it wont start with the key as its not keyed in. I'll try the EEPROM tomorrow and report.

gtmech
11th October, 2010, 08:29 AM
You can also use paSoft 1.36 or 1.4.0, NCSexpert is a pain because its in german, but once you get used to using it, it gets easier. D-can can also be used, with inpa or dis44. For synchronising ecu to ews, if you have original keys with ews try factory reset after editing with ews editor, to get used to the system. You should read up on ews systems ews 1-4, ISN numbers etc. VOR numbers for coding and updating the whole vehicle. Alot to learn, i,ve done a bit myself and it aint that straight forward.

PA Soft works on e36? I have never been able get PA Soft to work on anything except e39 which apparently it was supposed to be designed for. Everytime I try the PA Soft on a 3 series it wont make connection with the cars

mage
11th October, 2010, 10:27 AM
PA Soft (1.4.0 or 1.3.6) only do diagnose on DS2 (protocol) controlers.
Inside older BMW some controlers are DS2 (also EWS2) but many engine controlers (DDE/DME) are KW71.

pepi
11th October, 2010, 12:31 PM

I had the same problem time ago.I tryed a lot of procedures,but never maded up.I came to concludion that
WE CAN NOT READ/WRITE ALL AREA IN MOTOROLA CHIP.This must be some protect from BMW dealar not to duplicate the EWS information.

gtmech
11th October, 2010, 11:42 PM
I had the same problem time ago.I tryed a lot of procedures,but never maded up.I came to concludion that
WE CAN NOT READ/WRITE ALL AREA IN MOTOROLA CHIP.This must be some protect from BMW dealar not to duplicate the EWS information.

I would like to think that to buddy considering the amount of time I have also put into trying this but from what others here are saying and have tried it's not the case so we must keep battling this problem till it is Konkered:ridinghorse:

gtmech
12th October, 2010, 01:14 AM

Hmmm, ok anyone know what the EEPROM chip is?
It says 42696 on it. Whats that guys?

bali motor
12th October, 2010, 09:19 AM
Hmmm, ok anyone know what the EEPROM chip is?
It says 42696 on it. Whats that guys?

here example:

eeprom store on address: B600- B7FF

gtmech
12th October, 2010, 11:10 AM
here example:

thanks buddy but I dont understand what this chip is in the EWS box? Is it a 93c46? When I try and read it all I get is 000000000000000000000000000000000000 on every line.

bali motor
12th October, 2010, 02:11 PM
thanks buddy but I dont understand what this chip is in the EWS box? Is it a 93c46? When I try and read it all I get is 000000000000000000000000000000000000 on every line.

Data ews store on motorolla HC11EA9
(1D47J,2D47J,0D46J)

address data
eeprom : B600-B7FF
Rom : D000-FFFF
Boot Rom : BF00-BFFF

for make key, change data ews, just read eeprom (B600-B7FF)

regard.

gtmech
14th October, 2010, 10:15 AM
Data ews store on motorolla HC11EA9
(1D47J,2D47J,0D46J)

address data
eeprom : B600-B7FF
Rom : D000-FFFF
Boot Rom : BF00-BFFF

for make key, change data ews, just read eeprom (B600-B7FF)

regard.

sorry mate im confused, i thought u said i need to read the EEPROM and not the 2D47J chip? Dont i need to read the little 8 pin chip which says 42696 ? I dont know what this chip is buddy, do you?

jackeldestripador
14th October, 2010, 11:33 AM
Hi mate, you can do all stuff well using carprog, personally i never do what you are doing but may this help. I posted one dump from some ews II and codes readed with carprog . may this help. :ciao:

gtmech
14th October, 2010, 11:42 AM
Hi mate, you can do all stuff well using carprog, personally i never do what you are doing but may this help. I posted one dump from some ews II and codes readed with carprog . may this help. :ciao:

interesting buddy. When did you buy this Car Prog device from mate? Is yours a clone or the origianl? Thanks for your help

jackeldestripador
14th October, 2010, 12:07 PM
interesting buddy. When did you buy this Car Prog device from mate? Is yours a clone or the origianl? Thanks for your help

Original one, buyed 2 years past. I just did only new keys from ews II inmos using pcf7935 transponders if you need some calc or do some mod using carprog this please post bins i'll do for you.

bali motor
16th October, 2010, 06:21 PM
BMW key Programmer (http://uobd2.com/wholesale/bmw-key-programmer-free-shipping-1558.html)

I use this tool for make key bmw. easy to use

gtmech
17th October, 2010, 10:38 AM
BMW key Programmer (http://uobd2.com/wholesale/bmw-key-programmer-free-shipping-1558.html)

I use this tool for make key bmw. easy to use

I use that for making BMW Keys to mate but I use the X Prog-m for reading the EWS chips first and that BMW tool absolutely kills the 2D47J when reading them, dont use it to read 2D47J mate, I tried it and it screwed 3 EWS boxes, the X Prog-m doesnt though, that works perfect.

FAL
7th January, 2011, 02:33 PM
here example:

What software are you using, to look at the dump data?

gtmech
8th January, 2011, 02:45 AM
What software are you using, to look at the dump data?

i use a few buddy. Just the hex editors in XPorg or UPA software or BMW EWS Editor etc, any of those

Katvis
27th January, 2011, 03:35 PM
After you have written the complete bin file in the new EWS have you tried to sync the EWS to the DME before you tried to start the car?

I bought a spare DME the other day, dumped the complete BIN from my car onto the spare DME and the car started at once, however as soon as I updated the DME software the sync was lost and I had to sync the DME to the EWS before the car started again. I realize you are playing with EWS instead of DME but if the complete DME bin file carry over the data needed I would expect the same for the EWS chip?

gtmech
29th January, 2011, 09:35 AM
After you have written the complete bin file in the new EWS have you tried to sync the EWS to the DME before you tried to start the car?

I bought a spare DME the other day, dumped the complete BIN from my car onto the spare DME and the car started at once, however as soon as I updated the DME software the sync was lost and I had to sync the DME to the EWS before the car started again. I realize you are playing with EWS instead of DME but if the complete DME bin file carry over the data needed I would expect the same for the EWS chip?

So all you did was copy the dump from the (2D47J)MCU chip and wrote that to the (2D47J)MCU chip of the used EWS you bought and it started first time? You didnt do anything else with any other chips at all? Yeh I have tried resynching but it wouldnt resynch.

Katvis
29th January, 2011, 09:45 AM
no, sorry for misunderstanding, I did not work on the EWS box at all, only on the DME itself, I only cloned the DME and it worked with the EWS

gtmech
29th January, 2011, 10:52 AM
no, sorry for misunderstanding, I did not work on the EWS box at all, only on the DME itself, I only cloned the DME and it worked with the EWS

hmm, thats interesting, thanks for the info buddy

andrewthompsonuk
29th January, 2011, 06:52 PM

So that is the solution to a problem that has cost many people $1000s --well done!
I presume you need to remove the chip?
It is normal to reset the rolling codes after a software update.

Katvis
29th January, 2011, 06:56 PM
No need to remove the EEPROMS at all, I did all the programming for the clone through the BDM ports using free Linux software, but please keep in mind this is for the MSS52/54 that I worked on.

andrewthompsonuk
29th January, 2011, 08:16 PM
Summary:
Two main classes of EWS regarding the communication with the DME.
ver 3.3 or newer => Rolling code
ver 3.2 or older => ISN

The ISN is unique to DME/DDE and easily changed in EWS. The codes must match and it is easy to swap out either unit for a used one - just re-sync with DIS etc. and you are done.

However rolling code is fixed in EWS and written to DME/DDE on first startup.(or sync), the code can never by changed, without opening the box and programming the ROM directly.

Nobody knows exactly how the rolling code is stored and the only way of making a car with EWS 3.3 or newer run with a used DME/DDE is to clone both the EWS and DME/DDE from a working car (actually opening the boxes and reading the chips). After that keys and other EWS settings can be changed and the DME can be reprogrammed including the VIN.

Please correct me if I am wrong here.

Furthermore when posting it is important to state whether you are talking about an older ISN system or a newer rolling code system.

andrewthompsonuk
29th January, 2011, 08:39 PM
Can PaSoft read and write the ews without removing the chip?

Katvis
29th January, 2011, 08:42 PM
No need to remove the EEPROMS at all, I did all the programming for the clone through the BDM ports using free Linux software, but please keep in mind this is for the MSS52/54 that I worked on.

EWS3.3 rolling code system
We are working on removal of the EWS from the DME at the moment, if we succeed I will post the assembler code of the routines

bali motor
30th January, 2011, 08:27 PM
EWS3.3 rolling code system
We are working on removal of the EWS from the DME at the moment, if we succeed I will post the assembler code of the routines

you can fix for ME.9?
it can read by BDM and remove rolling code on ecu?

regard

Ugbimmer
13th May, 2019, 12:58 PM
Hello guys just interested to know how to synchronise EWS with DME for E39 using INPA....any more tools that a need?

Ugbimmer
13th May, 2019, 01:00 PM
much thanks in advance