PDA

View Full Version : Need help.

animal666
16th April, 2008, 08:35 PM
I am very sorry to ask but i am completely new to this stuff. I bought my dreambox 500C 2 months ago and it worked fine. Was promised that it would be re-flashed for free if anything went wrong.

Now th chap wants ?25 per box. Obviosly i am a bit peeved off.

What i have got is a null modem cable. Can some one please tell me if this cable is enough or if i need an Cross over Ethernet Cable, and if so, what size cable.

Can someone also tell me what program i am supposed to install as everything i read seems to be flying over my head.

I will seriously appreciate any help and apologise if i have caused any offense but submitting this topic.

Many thanks you good people.

C64
16th April, 2008, 08:48 PM
You sound like you might have been on other forums and been eaten alive mate! :)

We're very 'newbie' friendly on this forum, so we welcome your questions.

You can fix the box with the null modem cable if you download DREAMUP and the new updated version of DW2.0, this will get your machine auto-updating again, you can then do a manual channel scan to get all your channels back onto the box.

I recommend that you purchase a network cable (cross-over if you do not have a router installed), this'll allow you to make smaller changes to your machine, and will infact allow you to fix it WITHOUT needing the serial (null modem) and going through the entire reflash process.

The length of the network cable is not important.

If you just want to fix your box then buy a network cable and download Flash FXP

If you want to fix your box without having to buy anything then download Dreamup and then download a new image, then scan for channels - as you can probably tell, your much better off just buying the network cable! :)

animal666
16th April, 2008, 08:55 PM
Thank you very much witchy for the reply. finally i get some sense into this thick skull of mine.

will try it all out.

once again, thanks very much.

crowie
17th April, 2008, 12:04 AM
hey animal i was right where you are now just a few days ago, stick with this you can fix this yourself for less than ?25, i did and proper enjoyed it to, the guys on this forum are real good lads and will all help,

animal666
17th April, 2008, 03:47 PM
thanks crowie.

teleboss
17th April, 2008, 04:38 PM
I am very sorry to ask but i am completely new to this stuff. I bought my dreambox 500C 2 months ago and it worked fine. Was promised that it would be re-flashed for free if anything went wrong.

Now th chap wants ?25 per box. Obviosly i am a bit peeved off.

What i have got is a null modem cable. Can some one please tell me if this cable is enough or if i need an Cross over Ethernet Cable, and if so, what size cable.

Can someone also tell me what program i am supposed to install as everything i read seems to be flying over my head.

I will seriously appreciate any help and apologise if i have caused any offense but submitting this topic.

Many thanks you good people.

Hi, Get a null modem cable or its easy make one with two female db9 connectors. the ethernet cable your are looking for is a cross over cable, not a straight through cable.

if you need any help shout :)

animal666
18th April, 2008, 04:15 PM
Hi, Get a null modem cable or its easy make one with two female db9 connectors. the ethernet cable your are looking for is a cross over cable, not a straight through cable.

if you need any help shout :)

ive got a cross over network cable. enter my ip address and password, but when i try to connect it says "connection failed(No route to Host).

I have my dreambox powered on and connected. What am i doing wrong.
do i need to enter a port number or is it something else.

any help will be much appreciated.

thanks.

tinbox11
18th April, 2008, 10:54 PM
YOu only need one or the other, so the choice is 1) null modem cable 2) cross over network cable.
network cable never work 100% with image falshing. Stick with null modem cable and dreamup.
a cross over network cable require deeper understanding in setting up IP address. Your problem mostly down to the IP setup; 1) setup a static IP address for each device (ie; PC- 100.0.0.2, Dbox 100.0.0.3 with mask set to 255.255.255.0 and gateway fro both to be 100.0.0.1). setting your PC IP address without full understanding of such method may cause big trouble for the PC to go on internet afterward.
2) Use another program DCC to do flash.

I would highly recommend using just the null modem cable and dreamup as this is the easest way no Ip config, plug and run switch on and off at the right time all things is done.

teleboss
19th April, 2008, 11:48 AM
YOu only need one or the other, so the choice is 1) null modem cable 2) cross over network cable.
network cable never work 100% with image falshing. Stick with null modem cable and dreamup.
a cross over network cable require deeper understanding in setting up IP address. Your problem mostly down to the IP setup; 1) setup a static IP address for each device (ie; PC- 100.0.0.2, Dbox 100.0.0.3 with mask set to 255.255.255.0 and gateway fro both to be 100.0.0.1). setting your PC IP address without full understanding of such method may cause big trouble for the PC to go on internet afterward.
2) Use another program DCC to do flash.

I would highly recommend using just the null modem cable and dreamup as this is the easest way no Ip config, plug and run switch on and off at the right time all things is done.

Unless u are using a router on the network do not use a gateway adresss !, as the two machines supplied with the above information will be able to see each other, while the Gw address should not hinder communications between the two machines, I have seen comms problems when a non existant gw has been used on the setup.

animal666
19th April, 2008, 12:08 PM
thanks for the reply lads. will try out and will get there eventually.

animal666
19th April, 2008, 12:50 PM
have managed to do everything. file transfers but when it asks to overwrite file, i say yes. But message come sup that "1 file failed to transfer" and gets put in a queue.

Any help will be appreciated and thanks.

animal666
19th April, 2008, 12:54 PM
file transfers but then it says"failed to transfer 1 file" and gets put in a queue.

any help will be appreciated and thanks again.

Jaffa
19th April, 2008, 12:56 PM
The box may have went read only and you may be best to re flash a new image.

If you do have to re flash then try and copy your service, bouquet and cable folder to your pc so you can just reload them after reflash.

animal666
19th April, 2008, 01:25 PM
how can you put the box into "write" mode.

Jaffa
19th April, 2008, 01:33 PM
how can you put the box into "write" mode.

Sorry m8, I don't know the answer to that one, in fact I don't even know if its possible if it has went read only, but I was only guessing it may have went read only, someone smarter may shed some light on it.

TBH with you, if I was you I would start from scratch and put on a new image, then transfer new roms and services etc etc. It will learn you a lot and really is quite easy.

animal666
19th April, 2008, 01:38 PM
thanks for the reply jaffa. i give up with flashfxp.

i will just flash it. so to flash i need, null modem, dreamup and what software will i need to download. i have a dreambox 500c.

hopefully this will be the last question i ask of you. and i have got to say that you guys are brilliant. very very patient becuase you must be getting hits like this all day.

so i'd like to say thanks from everyone.

Jaffa
19th April, 2008, 01:42 PM
thanks for the reply jaffa. i give up with flashfxp.

i will just flash it. so to flash i need, null modem, dreamup and what software will i need to download. i have a dreambox 500c.

hopefully this will be the last question i ask of you. and i have got to say that you guys are brilliant. very very patient becuase you must be getting hits like this all day.

so i'd like to say thanks from everyone.

What you said id what you need, only other thing you need is the image.

Null modem
dreamUP

If you dont have a null modem cable you could use Flashwizard Pro to put the image on.

Dont forget to save your services and bouquets and cable folder.

Dont worry about asking questions, ask as many as you need until you get it sorted.

animal666
19th April, 2008, 01:59 PM
will flashwizard let me install with cross over cable. and also which image is the best to download.

thanks.

Jaffa
19th April, 2008, 02:04 PM
will flashwizard let me install with cross over cable. and also which image is the best to download.

thanks.

Yes flashwizard pro will let you do it with a Xover cable. I am not sure about saved images as they may be too big but it will let you do it with a bare image.

What image have you on at the minute....personally I use DW 2.0 image.

If you have a null modem then use that though.

animal666
19th April, 2008, 02:12 PM
cheers mate. will give it a try.

Warrenmole
19th April, 2008, 04:44 PM
Found all that pretty interesting i've got version 1.6.2 so sounds like I need to update to version 2.0 then It will auto update??

Jaffa
19th April, 2008, 04:46 PM
Found all that pretty interesting i've got version 1.6.2 so sounds like I need to update to version 2.0 then It will auto update??

Yes m8 update it, 2.0 has been out for ages but it now has the new AU fix in it aswell. I personally like Mr Dudes pulse skin on it.

Warrenmole
19th April, 2008, 04:56 PM
Cool, are there many differences between the two versions??

Jaffa
19th April, 2008, 05:02 PM
Cool, are there many differences between the two versions??

I never had 1.6 so I dont know whats different but if you look at the info for the image below you can maybe tell from that.

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=118

Warrenmole
19th April, 2008, 05:28 PM
Thanks Jaffa. I found the modded version with update april update fix...so will try this when I get chance. One more thing does the box need to be connected to the tv when updating or just plugged into pc. thanks

Jaffa
19th April, 2008, 05:35 PM
Thanks Jaffa. I found the modded version with update april update fix...so will try this when I get chance. One more thing does the box need to be connected to the tv when updating or just plugged into pc. thanks

If you are doing it with IFA then the pc is good enough as instructions are on monitor but if putting image in tmp folder you will obviously need to get to user panel on dreambox, if using flashwizrdPro then again pc will do.

animal666
20th April, 2008, 01:15 PM
i am just about to flash my dreambox using dreamup. where do i fin dthe services, cable and bouquet folder so that i may save them. also, can i find them using a null modem cable or using the crossover cable using fllashfxp.

thanks lads.

smirnoff_rules
20th April, 2008, 01:18 PM
no m8 u will have to scan again . u can only save with ftp to the pc

animal666
20th April, 2008, 01:25 PM
so there is no way of the box remebering my bouquets or the order they are in.

Jaffa
20th April, 2008, 04:50 PM
Only if you transfer them by ftp from the box to your pc then back after flash.

you can find them in /var/tuxbox/config/enigma (I think thats right...lol)

I usually save:

cable folder
services file
bouquets file

the services and bouquet files dont have an extension.