PDA

View Full Version : laptop or i pad

cablefreejunkie
17th October, 2010, 10:18 AM
need a new laptop but im thinking of ditching it for an i pad
not familiar with the i pad yet so whats the pros and cons of having one and not the other
any tips always appreciated

simong6
17th October, 2010, 12:19 PM
get a laptop, ipads are just a gimmik and Apple seem to have tricked the whole world into thinking they are amazing!

yaas
17th October, 2010, 09:41 PM
need a new laptop but im thinking of ditching it for an i pad
not familiar with the i pad yet so whats the pros and cons of having one and not the other
any tips always appreciated

The iPad can do everything a laptop can do & even more...

You get touch screen & its also flashy!

I got a top of the range all in one touchscreen pc & I still spend more time on my iPad.

Its very easy to use too.

cablefreejunkie
17th October, 2010, 10:10 PM
two completely different views on this one,,,,thats the beauty of this forum i guess
im gonna wait for a few more replies on this one before i take the decision

sob1467
17th October, 2010, 10:16 PM
Tight one that the ipad looks much better and is lighter but with a laptop you know what your getting. I'd say if you are only using your laptop for the internet. I would say get a ipad but if you want word processing or hard core gaming i'd say get a laptop.

opsmonkey
18th October, 2010, 12:27 AM
If you just want to surf the web, get a netbook, if you want decent capability buy a laptop..

The iPad is a fad.. just like the iMac was...

The iPad is marketed as a platform for audio and visual media such as books, periodicals, movies, music, and games, as well as web content.. If thats all you want, why not get a Netbook / Laptop and have all the extras..

As for the quote an iPad does everything a laptop does.. No.. it doesn't..

It costs more than a netbook but has a slower processor, doesn't allow multitasking, doesn't use a real operating system where you can install any program you wish and doesn't have any SD card slots or USB ports.

BTW, I'm not anti Apple.. I have an iPhone 4 and have had a Apple iPod Shuffle, Nano and 3G..

Its a Tablet.. tablets have been around forever and the mainstream market didn't want them, just because they've slapped an Apple logo on it, should people suddenly want it..???

DSengr
18th October, 2010, 01:50 AM
But an ipad comes with many apps. Apps are very useful?

DanGross
18th October, 2010, 04:03 AM
Yes, some of the apps for the iPad are very usefull but limited. The high variety of apps you can use in your notebook doesn't exist for iPad.
I have an iPad and have a notebook too. I use the iPad to surf the web, read newspapers or anything like this,(almost a game), but for work I use the notebook.
But the endpoint is always the same. What do you want to do with it?

fijiman
18th October, 2010, 10:22 AM
Buy both....
I like the speed of the ipad....no hanging around for windows to load....then antivirus software to load..I like the instant access to content on the ipad and online, easy portability.. The laptop in my opinion is still essential for all other office and home needs.

gegole
27th October, 2010, 03:44 AM
Yeah! Definitely it's laptop.
iPad is just for little fun.
Laptop is much powful.

Lainie
2nd November, 2010, 01:38 AM
got to say i love my netbook - so much better than a lappy but i do also have a pc.

as my netbook is a couple of years old i was thinking of getting a new one or an ipad so i too need to do some homework.

id love an iphone but cannot justify the cost of it and i do have an ipod touch, nano and ipod video all of which get used frequently.

however id want a netbook with windows 7 and pref premium edition and so far all ive seen is the starter version.

HypaSnypa
2nd November, 2010, 07:36 AM
I like the ipad....
I also like the laptop....
but which is better????

FIGHT!!!

(as Harry Hill might say)

Also I heard ipad doesn't do flash. In my opinion flash is important for web browsing especially if your into animation and cool websites.

So i'd go with laptop.

Also with a laptop you can add extra memory, hard drive etc to improve on it. With an ipad your only option would probably be to wait for a new version which will probably cost you an arm and a leg.

dctyper
2nd November, 2010, 09:07 AM
after speaking to many people who own i pads, i would suggest reaqding this. as someone said earlier, apple is a brand that is not that good when it comes to doing the daily things.

ask yourself what do you want the machine to do?

do you want to send email? ipads find it difficult to forward on emails

websites? ipads cannot do flash

security? within 3 days i pads were hacked, not good

oh and no usb ports or ability to upgrade.

if you want it to watch movies, great get one

if you want it to read books great get one

if you want it to look good great get one

some positives and negetives for you

dc

megapt
5th November, 2010, 02:54 AM
after speaking to many people who own i pads, i would suggest reaqding this. as someone said earlier, apple is a brand that is not that good when it comes to doing the daily things.

dc

thats all old news, jailbreak... has become so easy and ipad was probably the fastest one to be jailbroken, from there the possibilities are endless.

megapt
5th November, 2010, 02:59 AM
3 days hacked, not good? what is not good about it? LOL
what do you know about software geezzzzzzz

BenMHarvey
5th November, 2010, 04:19 AM
The iPad can do everything a laptop can do & even more...

You get touch screen & its also flashy!

I got a top of the range all in one touchscreen pc & I still spend more time on my iPad.

Its very easy to use too.

I've got an Alienware M11x and an Ipad 64Gb 3G

I hugely disagree with your statement my laptop runs W7, Ubuntu 10.10 and Backtrack 4

Ipad definetely cannot do this it also defitnely can't do half the things a laptop can do.

Some days i use the Ipad sometimes the Laptop purely the Ipad is portable does basic web surfing . I have a suite of office apps and a PHP editor but hardly find them efficient the PC is superior here. Unless you carry around a keyboard then really your using a laptop thats hardly portable.

In my mind the Ipad is the fun portable factor its a gadget and toy at heart but has some power behind i do find apps slow be brought out on the Ipad vs the Iphone. Im verging on selling my Ipad personally

garry1312
5th November, 2010, 04:50 AM
id say go with a laptop if you want some serious performance. if you want to just surf the web then maybe go with the ipad but keep in mind that it does not support flash.

also if you want word, excel, powerpoint or any program for that matter you will not get them on the ipad only apple authorised apps.

If you are interested in a tablet the Samsung Galaxy Tab is due out to compete against the ipad it runs on android, supports flash and can make, receive calls and video calls and so on. also looks very attractive.

Basically work out what you need either for add up the pros and cons and come to a conclusion that works with your needs.

If you found this helpful please click Thanks.

fijiman
5th November, 2010, 05:16 PM
You can watch flash content on any idevice via Skyfire ( hacked version on installous or via iTunes )

thomashouben
7th November, 2010, 11:28 AM

dc
Not one off these "problems" remain after a simple jailbreak...and you can get a connector for a usb or photocamera,
so don't worry about those things...

manxspud
8th November, 2010, 08:58 PM
Dont think you can compare a ipad to a laptop/netbook to be honest. Its just a oversized ipod touch.

Was thinking of getting 1 for Christmas, after a bit of research changed me mind.

@manx

scotcruz
14th November, 2010, 12:29 AM
tbh, due to the limitations on apples products I wouldnt recommend it..

go for a laptop or netbook...

Sirus
15th November, 2010, 11:19 PM
A Netbook blows the ipad away simply for what it does for the price it costs...

Netbook- about 200 quid

Ipad- 450 quid

I was in this dilemma too and just got a Netbook second hand for 120 quid and am happy with it... to me the ipad is just another way to get people to buy on itunes and fool people with their stupid apps and the touchscreen ability.. if you can afford to pay an inflated price for all it does then why not, but compared to a netbook for what it does is a no brainer and a saving of about 300 quid

The only thing I picture myself doing with an ipad is messing around with the apps/games using the touchscreen delights, as I'm sure alot of others picture too.. but for that price and for the few other little things it does.. not worth it

Get an ipod touch, almost the same thing for a better price

cablefreejunkie
17th November, 2010, 11:33 PM
i think its a new lappy then judging by all the replies ive had

opsmonkey
18th November, 2010, 11:58 AM
you could always get a macbook and have the best of both worlds lol

heogey
27th November, 2010, 03:11 AM
You should look at what kind of functions you need.

johno_2k1
27th November, 2010, 09:00 PM
I have a home pc a home laptop 2 work laptops and I have just bought an I pad. You need a good laptop before you can buy an I pad I bought is as I am a mobile mechanic and need to go on the Internet wherever whenever I have been using my I phone but it's a bit slow and u cannot see a web page well. I was going to get a dongle for my laptop but I don't like how they plug in I would end up snapping it off I sit in my van with the iPad and it's easy to use, try using a net book on your knee whilst in the driving seat. It depends on what your using it for if your not going to use it on the move it's a waste of time but for mobile Internet it's the only way forward. Thanks Rich

Chadleynet
3rd January, 2011, 12:12 AM
I have both a laptop and an iPad. I don't use my iPad much, unless I want to play a game to waste some time when I'm travelling. Otherwise it's not nearly as functional as a laptop.

pesona
3rd January, 2011, 10:48 AM
If the budget is limited, buy a laptop. But if not buy both.

iPad is limited but very nice for reading ebook, emails, to do list etc etc...

ashleybirkin
3rd February, 2011, 10:47 AM
Ive brought a new android table with 2.1 and its really good

booy664
24th June, 2011, 03:07 PM
thats all old news, jailbreak... has become so easy and ipad was probably the fastest one to be jailbroken, from there the possibilities are endless.

Even with the jailbreak, that wont change the fact that the ipad cant run flash will it? I have also been debating whether to get an ipad or a laptop but i cant use an ipad at all if it wont run flash

Orbit78
29th June, 2011, 09:25 AM
iPad for leisure surfing,chatting, emails and games.
Laptop for more serious work stuffs that require massive typing and formatting.
Your choice on which work out best for u.

johnboy1974
29th June, 2011, 08:04 PM
theres a range of laptops coming out soon which will have removable screens thus giving you tablet and laptop functionality.

saintman
21st July, 2011, 10:25 AM
i'm with Orbit78,

the laptops ..also called convertibles are still there.
toshiba toughbook for example..
that the best for university working or the lenovo tablet-pc's

htquang
27th July, 2011, 12:03 PM
ipad sucks, im getting bored after 1 week

hypersonic
27th July, 2011, 12:15 PM
ipad does'nt do Flash, is expensive and won't stream footie.
Get a cheap netbook running Win XP (not 7 starter) it does the lot! :ciao:

nara
28th July, 2011, 08:49 AM
ipad does'nt do Flash.

Does it matter? Content which uses propriety technology like Flash has been stalling Web innovation for years.

The Web is moving away from these technologies in favour of standards like HTML5.

hypersonic
29th July, 2011, 02:38 PM
Does it matter? Content which uses propriety technology like Flash has been stalling Web innovation for years.

The Web is moving away from these technologies in favour of standards like HTML5.

I have a 160 Gb Archos 5 which also does'nt do flash 10 either and it likely that it will end up as a paper weight. The chances of some of these current tablet devices being able to update to flash 10 or HTML5 depends on the device's software and the makers will to support existing units or the need to sell new tablets ~ tablets already sold don't make profits, so don't hold your breath for HTML5 ~ I bought a emachines E350 160Gb netbook for ?159 and it is the bees knees !

joolz65
5th August, 2011, 12:33 PM
I have both and would say the ipad has pros and cons

If you want an all round machine that has the capability of flash without jailbreak the laptop is the one to go for especially if its used for work

The ipad has a super fast internet connection and is very lightweight and portable but has no usb connection etc

broksonic
28th August, 2011, 12:09 PM
Its just a big ipod

giacaro
1st November, 2011, 07:37 AM
no comparison is available for ipad and laptop, is like to compare an apple with a pineapple. I personally find ipad the best as an e-book and for plenty of apps i can easily bring with me and switch on very quickly everywhere but if I need to work on something more demanding in terms of resources and I'm at home I prefer to use my laptop.

gecekusu
2nd November, 2011, 09:39 PM
well i can tell anyone who would be interested to share my ipad experience, the device is simply good, also for evry day business, sure you miss a couple of things, but there are ways to circumvent the inconveniences you run into, i have been using both the first and the second edition as long as they are around... no issues and would recommend them to anyone. just a very solid and quality device which is surely expensive and limiting but jailbreaking the device does the trick...

enjoy

gecekusu
2nd November, 2011, 09:41 PM
@giacaro, please note that many vendors are developing tablets, asus is one of them with their eee series, with android version 4 all devices will be supported as is nearly the case with apple devices all on ios... the new device seems to be worth while looking at...

johnboy1974
2nd November, 2011, 10:17 PM
I would never buy one as to me they are just big iphones. You cant dowload and burn to disc with it either.

MrFug
2nd November, 2011, 10:26 PM
iPad all the way, for me. Each to their own. I love lying in bed browsing the net or watching my TV through it, or playing HD movies from my NAS. Yes, a netbook can do all these things too, but I just love the iPad. Feel free to flame, I probably deserve it.

firestorm
4th November, 2011, 05:41 AM
I have a ipad2 and a macbook air the ipad is good for traveling with,but reading books on it can be impossible in the sun(the kindle beats it hands down).The ipad is quick and the wife loves it.But for me i would not swap my airbook for a ipad.As for burning dvd/cd that belongs in the last century you can load anything on to usb stick and play it in nearly any device.

v2kdj
12th June, 2012, 09:13 AM
I bought a used netbook in great condition and downgraded it to XP and it runs great an does it all with a slim external DVD drive. It's small enough for travel too. I sold my 15 inch compaq lappie as I found it bulky for the term 'laptop'....
However, like a lucky guy I am, my wife got me an ipad2 32gb 3G for my birthday (one of the milestone birthday's!!)....
The day after I had it it got jailbroken.....piece of cake.....
Any apple device that ain't jailbroke ain't worth the plastic it's housed in IMO... I still got my 4yr old iPhone 3GS on a 30 day rolling contract for ?15 PM an it still does the trick....unlimited data....nice!!
May upgrade for the iPhone 5 when it appears in a few months time. We'll see if it's worth it.
I use the desktop which is ageing now for iTunes etc. as it has a large hard drive for the library......downside is that iCloud needs at least vista to run and the desktop is using XP.
Anyway...after I stopped boring you....LOL... love the iPad and the netbook is gathering dust but I'll keep it cuss I know if I get rid then I'll need it for something.

P.s. iPad does do flash! Try Puffin web browser or Skyfire and once jailbroke there's a whole host of tweaks available via cydia you'll love...

and you can use 'OPlayer' to directly add Divx files to watch without converting to a format for I devices....VLC didn't cut it so I removed it!

'iAnnotate' highly recommended for PDF files....

SamuelDavidson
12th June, 2012, 04:13 PM
I personally believe that laptops are better, but if you are looking for something that is very convenient to carry around, get an iPad.