PDA

View Full Version : Thank's for the downloads.

chroma
19th October, 2010, 04:50 PM
I've been putting a good deal of thought into download abuse of late and thinking about ways to combat it.
Comming up with the obvious of setting up a credit system tied to post count.

Then quickly realising that this would result in a massive ammount of junk and spam in order for idiots to get to the goodies.

The idea was sound though its just the execution that needed work.
A system that ties up a post system that naturaly weeds out spam posts...

We already have a reputation and solid thanks system in place that gets no real use other than e-peen.
What about tying that into the system.

Say 1 credit per 5 thanks recieved (as a ballpark, adjustments would need to be made if it went live). SO LONG AS YOUR REPUTATION IS ABOVE A THRESHOLD
This would boost new members posting but with the caveat that they had to be useful to someone, spam wouldnt contribute to your thanks count and would wind up getting you de-repped so even if you managed to boost your reputation would have dropped below the threshold and downloads would still be inaccessable.

The only problem i can see is from multi acounters and thats easily combatted by email and ip filtering, it wont stop the seriously determined from bouncing off proxies and opening up other mail accounts.However it would kill off the casuals to a large extent.

It would also add some tangable use to users for the reputation and thanks systems.

steppenwolf
19th October, 2010, 06:32 PM
Not bad mate. I also have to say that lot of members dislike to use reputation button. Guess we do not have the reputation button for reason. Respect to those who are not selfish to use it. This thing with credits sounds good. 5 thanks = 1 credit, 1 credit = 2downloads... and so on...

Meat-Head
19th October, 2010, 08:48 PM
Still think some kind of 'insert coin' thing would be better

barrowmanandrew
20th October, 2010, 11:17 PM
I've been putting a good deal of thought into download abuse of late and thinking about ways to combat it.
Comming up with the obvious of setting up a credit system tied to post count.

Then quickly realising that this would result in a massive ammount of junk and spam in order for idiots to get to the goodies.

The idea was sound though its just the execution that needed work.
A system that ties up a post system that naturaly weeds out spam posts...

We already have a reputation and solid thanks system in place that gets no real use other than e-peen.
What about tying that into the system.

Say 1 credit per 5 thanks recieved (as a ballpark, adjustments would need to be made if it went live). SO LONG AS YOUR REPUTATION IS ABOVE A THRESHOLD
This would boost new members posting but with the caveat that they had to be useful to someone, spam wouldnt contribute to your thanks count and would wind up getting you de-repped so even if you managed to boost your reputation would have dropped below the threshold and downloads would still be inaccessable.

The only problem i can see is from multi acounters and thats easily combatted by email and ip filtering, it wont stop the seriously determined from bouncing off proxies and opening up other mail accounts.However it would kill off the casuals to a large extent.

It would also add some tangable use to users for the reputation and thanks systems.

sounds a good idea.
on the point of "members" using proxies to open multiple accounts and thanking themselves. i have an idea for a way to fight back.
make it so that newbies or junoir members thanks don't count in the system or at least give less credit.
this would mean you would have to make 50 posts in another account before it would be worthwhile thanking yourself for credits....
but then we come back to spamming...
anyone caught posting even a single spam gets a lengthy ban from download section and credits removed.
this should stop spammers in their tracks.
surely no-one could think that they could sneak 50 spam posts thruogh the forum??

and also in the meantime,
change it so that there is a twelve hour delay in the server giving access to downloads.
i think spammers are posting during the night, when the site is quiet and filling their boots before anyone notices their garbage posts......

i came across a post this morning, where a new member commented on a TWO YEAR old post and helped himself to FIVE downloads..... cheeky ~~~~er.....

Grizz
21st October, 2010, 12:42 AM
what about a new member has to get a thanks from a mod before they can have a download, mods are watching posts anyway and have a fair idea who is spamming or helping. that way at least if someone was in DK for a couple of weeks waiting for a download they might have helped someone out in return for it.

chroma
21st October, 2010, 02:04 PM
what about a new member has to get a thanks from a mod before they can have a download, mods are watching posts anyway and have a fair idea who is spamming or helping. that way at least if someone was in DK for a couple of weeks waiting for a download they might have helped someone out in return for it.

The mod to user ratio is already too large, never mind them havingg to monitor every new user that registers, seems like way too much work from an already overburdened squad.

gmb45
21st October, 2010, 02:19 PM
only thing to do is if you see a member blatently posting shite to get access, is to report em, and the mods will do what they think necessary, lots of us regulars have been racking our brains how to combat this, but i dont think theres an easy answer, yet. but as admin says, keep the ideas coming and all will be taken on board.

skywash
21st October, 2010, 10:41 PM
found a newbie yesterday, 1st post trying to sell fake rolex from usa cheeky f***er

Meat-Head
21st October, 2010, 10:47 PM
found a newbie yesterday, 1st post trying to sell fake rolex from usa cheeky f***er

did you report it?

post link here for us to have a laugh

Devilfish
22nd October, 2010, 10:59 AM
Thanks for all your ideas folks.

I had accepted that there are more leechers than genuine posters years ago. That will never change, it's the nature of the Internet.

Some of these ideas are great but I don't have the knowhow or skill to code these mods and integrate them into the forum. If they already exist then fantastic! But at the same time, things like this can slow the server down by constantly checking all the time so we need to find a happy medium.

At present, the best way to combat spam is to report the post and a mod will deal with it. Don't pm any specific mod about it, all mods will see it if you report the post.

Keep the ideas coming! :)

Meat-Head
22nd October, 2010, 06:27 PM
But at the same time, things like this can slow the server down by constantly checking all the time so we need to find a happy medium.

Keep the ideas coming! :)

1) The server is plenty quick enough, just amazing how quick the results
are in a search.

For example doing a randon search for 'foo-foo' and 'micro-liquid' amazing quick, so can't see slowing server down been a problem

2) Perhaps - although would increase cost of forum to supporters - but
DK is worth every penny anyway - 3 servers one for newbies
one for vetrens onwards one in Serbia with 'car software on' lol