PDA

View Full Version : Looking at real diagnostic equipment

electromech
21st October, 2010, 10:16 PM
I am looking at getting another universal scanner but want to go for a good quality one I have seen and like

Snapon Verus

Omiscan 2 (I have the first one and it is great)

Texa Axone 3

DEC Superscan 3

Has anyone got any experience with any of the above and have I missed any? I didnt mention Bosch due to there subscribtion which I dont like

Thanks for your time

oldford
22nd October, 2010, 09:34 AM
Have a look at the Multiscan from Actia.
They are getting better especially oriental cars, thanks to the cooperation with Nextech.

cactikid
22nd October, 2010, 09:37 PM
auto boss mate has one and swears by it and says nothing comes near it and updates out nearly weekly ,update on usb key at home and plug into machine to update at work,extra bit is the printer that prints out results for customer.

electromech
22nd October, 2010, 09:45 PM
auto boss mate has one and swears by it and says nothing comes near it and updates out nearly weekly ,update on usb key at home and plug into machine to update at work,extra bit is the printer that prints out results for customer.
Thanks I know about autoboss but I do have a launch and I recon that they are the same just the autoboss is faster but as stated I am looking at a very good system

ttzag
22nd October, 2010, 09:46 PM
HANATECH i have one its very good

electromech
27th October, 2010, 06:56 AM
has anyone got the versus or texa and is the bosch really worth its money cause those updates are expensive and manditory?

florinyes
27th October, 2010, 07:31 AM
Texa is quite good but Dec superscan is the dogs danglies..BUT if I start from scratch again buying scanner I'd go for dealer tools.

Regards

electromech
27th October, 2010, 07:42 AM
Texa is quite good but Dec superscan is the dogs danglies..BUT if I start from scratch again buying scanner I'd go for dealer tools.

Regards
Dealer tools are way to expensive and I dont trust the clones as everyone complains about reliability issues

atetruckrepair
27th October, 2010, 11:53 AM
most of my tech's grab the modis first a good all around light duty tool but if there is any in depth diagnostics or testing they will switch out for an OE tool to get the full functionality. We have had modis since it came out with no problems ever other than exspensive updates $1250 each and slowly we continue to build our OE tool base have a good one Bill

electromech
30th October, 2010, 08:14 PM
DEC Superscan 3 looks really good has anyone got one?

maurofz6
30th October, 2010, 08:20 PM
Hello I have a DEC
work fine in Renault Peugeot and Citroen and VW
weak GM/Opel Toyota and don?t have asian cars
best regards

electromech
30th October, 2010, 08:22 PM
Hello I have a DEC
work fine in Renault Peugeot and Citroen and VW
weak GM/Opel Toyota and don?t have asian cars
best regards
Thanks but I not really into asian although I wouldnt mine working on them

florinyes
1st November, 2010, 08:44 AM
I have full Dec SS2 that covers 8 makes..Is very good on french and Ford stuff. For Vag or vauxhall I don't even bother...they nowhere near Vcds or vaux com.
Back up is very good, got mine from Derek at Ilexa and he really is helpfull.
SS3 uses same software but the multiplexer is rugged comparing to old box. Also has an osciloscop but rather use my Pico.

At the mo, thinking to get planet, clip and ids and see how it goes..I may replace my dec..That is just a thought though..

Do you do programming or just general stuff?

regards

electromech
1st November, 2010, 07:07 PM
I have full Dec SS2 that covers 8 makes..Is very good on french and Ford stuff. For Vag or vauxhall I don't even bother...they nowhere near Vcds or vaux com.
Back up is very good, got mine from Derek at Ilexa and he really is helpfull.
SS3 uses same software but the multiplexer is rugged comparing to old box. Also has an osciloscop but rather use my Pico.

At the mo, thinking to get planet, clip and ids and see how it goes..I may replace my dec..That is just a thought though..

Do you do programming or just general stuff?

regards
just general diagnostics not really in programming I am keen for something with strong diagnostics
Just got a quote for a KTS are they ~~~CING CRAZY with the update prices

florinyes
1st November, 2010, 07:50 PM
The worst bit about KTS is it'll stop working if you stop updating...Have you got any scanners at all? Got a launch too and not too bad for the money..you won't do much programming, but if you keep it updated it does the job..What I hate about it: is sooo fcuking slow.. But as a back up or to cover makes my other scanners won't do is fine..

Kind regards

electromech
1st November, 2010, 08:03 PM
The worst bit about KTS is it'll stop working if you stop updating...Have you got any scanners at all? Got a launch too and not too bad for the money..you won't do much programming, but if you keep it updated it does the job..What I hate about it: is sooo fcuking slow.. But as a back up or to cover makes my other scanners won't do is fine..

Kind regards
got launch but it tends to let me down when I realy need it

electromech
1st November, 2010, 08:03 PM

Kind regards
got launch but it tends to let me down when I realy need it

florinyes
2nd November, 2010, 12:04 AM
Is it up to date? have ya super 16 connector?
What makes gets through your doors? There's no perfect scanner..I suppose you do have vcds and vaux.com..also for the money i would get planet and clip, star if you do some mercs and here you go.. Even thinking to sell my Dec and go OEM..

electromech
2nd November, 2010, 08:18 PM
I mostly do merc , bmw , land rover ,volvo , jag and vw I am ok with all besides VOLVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banghead: , MERC and BMW they are currently being a pain for me...............and my launch is totally up to date but if a french car pulls in the machine is not very keen to talk to it

diky
11th November, 2010, 10:21 PM
Hi,
why not look at the cmt pro, it has great all round coverage and easy to use.Very good on the makes
you mentioned.

Regards
diky

electromech
12th November, 2010, 08:03 PM
Hi,
why not look at the cmt pro, it has great all round coverage and easy to use.Very good on the makes
you mentioned.

Regards
diky
Thanks ..do you own a unit?

Tismot
12th November, 2010, 08:14 PM
Hi, For what its worth, I have multitude of scan tools including dealer tools, but one of my first choice tools is still the DEC II.

The back up from the team is second to none should you need it.

Regards Mark

electromech
12th November, 2010, 08:28 PM
Hi, For what its worth, I have multitude of scan tools including dealer tools, but one of my first choice tools is still the DEC II.

The back up from the team is second to none should you need it.

Regards Mark
Thanks I also think that they win hands down dec 3 shows some serious promise but would prefer some one to varify and thus far dec is tops

pinky77
12th November, 2010, 08:51 PM
im useing sykes pickavant spi been really good on most makes and a good price

PierreTheron
19th November, 2010, 03:15 AM
Just got a quote for a KTS are they ~~~CING CRAZY with the update prices[/QUOTE]

Hi
Have got acces to KTS.

With every mandatory software update the last three years on the KTS there is always some issues.
It seems like every update is like an whole new software pack.

So newer cars get added but sometimes not even to communicate with a certain vehicle that you used to before the update..

k

cqae
19th November, 2010, 06:03 AM
I have just recently got a KTS & I pretty happy with it. Also have launch, vcds old snap on & old carmen.
I think kts is pretty good for euro stuff & would happily recomend it. DEC has good wraps from the guys I have talked to about it, the problme is it doesnt do that many makes.........I would say kts over all

dieselman77
19th November, 2010, 08:51 PM
If anyone is looking for the Snap on Verus there were a few on ebay for $2500 last time i looked that was a good deal i tried to buy one but they were all sold in a few minutes i would just check there first before paying $9000 from the snap on dealer have a good one let me know how you guys make out

cqae
20th November, 2010, 05:20 AM
electro-the g scan is fairly new to the aus market and has pretty good wraps, dont know much about it though

diky
23rd February, 2011, 10:30 PM
Hi,
Opus cmt pro is a great little tool , connects to everything that it list's with no comms problems.Also dec
is great ,ford is getting alot better but as said vaux and vw weak.All scanners have there down side.

diky.

ray978
23rd February, 2011, 10:42 PM
So if you have money you buy. And Great for: mercedes, bmw.fiat, Lancia, Alfa Romeo, PSA. and restoration come from many other brands common diagnosis.
What makes of car and I have written more than Hotels tool factory ..

Giovanni Accinni S.r.l. (http://www.accinni.com/index.php/en)

carlu78
25th February, 2011, 01:15 AM
i have carman vg+ and works great,,there is no vehicule cant see..and work whit programation for ecus and trim code injectors like ducato,hino,sangyon and more...

potrobber
2nd April, 2011, 11:58 PM
the kts is a super bit of kit when you master your way round it the esi is the most usful bit of it also cross referance of parts is good aswell updates are costly but there is ways round it if you look hard enough and the texa is very good aswell ecu swaps with it are so simply it guides you thru most of it yearly updates not to bad and dec 2 or 3 is good aswell:proud:

zimbali7840
19th April, 2011, 01:37 AM
Thanks I also think that they win hands down dec 3 shows some serious promise but would prefer some one to varify and thus far dec is tops

To me, there are 3 groups of diagnostic tools:

I- OEM Factory tools: Does EVERYTHING on one brand. Like Lexia3, C3 Star, OPS, ICOM, etc.

II- Multibrand Deep-Narrow: Supports a few brands, deep enough to be close to OEM. Less expensive in compare to group I. examples are DEC SS3 (deep on French cars), ROSS TECH VCDS (VAG), Autologic, etc.

III- Multibrand Shallow-Wide: Launch, Texa, etc.

It's not easy to fit every diagnostic tool into tehse three, but it works as a rule of thumb.

$/ECU you pay decreases from group I to III, but the functionality and deep coverage is reduced. Now you should decide which group of tools you need.

There a few exceptions I know, like Autoboss which is pretty wide and goes to Group III for everything but BMW and some MB models which it supports deeply.

Other example is G-Scan which is of course a combination of I and II, as it's OEM for Hyundai Kia but, offers deep coverage on Japanese cars, but very basic EU and no USA coverage.

In any case have something in mind: unless half of your purchased price goes to the seller's pocket as net profit, do NOT expect any support. Scantool support is a crazy business and costs a lot of money (they have to deal with demanding people like us :viking:.

Hope that helps.

electromech
19th April, 2011, 07:01 AM
Just a update had a snapon on demo here it has the latest software on it......................WHAT A F%CKING JOKE.......it couldnt go into half the cars and when it went in it could on talk to 1 or 2 modules.........he tried to defend his brand by saying that I work on odd vehicles.....and of cause I responded by saying if he sees a space shuttle in here????? whats odd about Land rover,Volvo,BMW,Kia and Pug?????

florinyes
19th April, 2011, 08:09 AM
Forget about snap on mate.. There's a minority that uses them and praise'em but comes nowhere near launch, just to give you an example. I know I've opened up a can of worms but for me snap on diagnostics=door stop. You've just find out that for yourself.;)

eddie8
19th April, 2011, 12:21 PM
has anyone got the versus or texa and is the bosch really worth its money cause those updates are expensive and manditory?

I have the Verus. I love it!

Poptest
1st October, 2011, 12:20 AM
I have G Scan form Korea. It is very good..... it does cars and trucks, and works on 12v & 24v systems.

racin-snake
1st October, 2011, 12:39 AM
i have dec 2 same software as the dec 3 asmx and its a joke for Peugeot.... stuff major holes in code descriptions and coms with some modules are fun if not another joke
if you dont have planet or clip to back you up (even clones) dec aint the tool
i think its also poor on Renault too for the hype of the tool its nowhere near what i claims to be
oh and get a contract phone with lots of free minutes as you will never be off the phone to the supplier for code definitions etc

the last tool out for stuff for me ....all hype no good opus cmt sounds better

i think its a blue brick door stop myself ...........just my honest observation of the tools performance