PDA

View Full Version : Before you sl*g off Starview , have a think?

Smokey786
3rd December, 2008, 02:06 PM
My theory is:

As everyone knows technology seems to move very quick and these cable boxes are no exception. A new box seems to come out every year and some of the people who have the older boxes are feeling let down as there is no fix out there (yet)!

*** How many of you were told that when you bought a cable box you had a guarantee ***

I'm sure you were probably told something along the lines, if it goes off it goes off, which is fair play coz at the end of the day its all i11ega1, if you want 100% support then pay a subscription!

The way I see it is, every developer out there (well pretty much - if not then I cant understand why not) wants to dabble in the latest technology, and who can blame em, isn't it enough that this years and last years model have had a fix pretty much within a few days !

I can understand peoples frustration but most people out there have to admit they have got their moneys worth if nothing else!

The developers who develop the fixes dont get paid (well i'm assuming they dont) they do it coz more than anything else they enjoy it! and then on top of that i';m sure they have their own families, work and other missions which they need to crack on with!

Just think VM has its own support team, who work on support issues 100% of the time! and think of Microsoft they have just stopped supporting Windows 98 I believe! But these are huge corporations!

Although 1 thing that I cant understand is, whats the major differences between starview 1,2,3 ? apart from the s/w? and why couldnt the starview 3 s/w go on starview 1 ? yeah i can understand the structural difference between the sv4 and its predecessors (usb is a good idea) - seems like a money making scheme to me!

If anything , I would like to say if the powers that are are gonna stop supporting the older models then please release the source code for other developers who might wanna have a go! (P.S. I'm not a Linux programmer, I'm a .NET developer) so I might not be your best bet! :-)

I think every developer wants to stay with the latest technology and as everyone knows these days technology moves very quickly indeed,

I hope this post makes sense , coz usually I just type and then think of what I'm saying! :beheaded: