PDA

View Full Version : my external hardrive wont show videos

terrier
24th October, 2010, 09:35 PM
Ive got a hard drive full of films/photos that i have just connected to my parents 42" plasma LG tv (thru the usb socket)..The TV detects that there are videos aswell as photos on the hardrive, but the TV will only show a "Photos" or "music" file (it will show the photos with no problem at all)...Therefore, not allowing to show the films...Can anybody understand why please.Thanks

Stuart 0366
24th October, 2010, 09:40 PM
Is the TV compatible to play the files (does it use the right codec)?

terrier
24th October, 2010, 10:20 PM
i dont know what codec the tv allows to be honest..(and my parents havent a clue either).

barrowmanandrew
24th October, 2010, 10:32 PM
i dont know what codec the tv allows to be honest..(and my parents havent a clue either).

i think you will find your tv will only be able to play jpegs and mp3's throuigh the usb port.
google the tv's model number and check the specifications....

steppenwolf
24th October, 2010, 10:48 PM
i think you will find your tv will only be able to play jpegs and mp3's throuigh the usb port.
google the tv's model number and check the specifications....

I am betting you are right mate. My friend recently had the same problem and later we saw that TV does not support some formats.

daithi
25th October, 2010, 10:11 AM
this is what you need mate to get it to work
http://lgusb.wikispaces.com/

now im in no way telling you to do this to your telly
as in doing so will ~~~~ it up for good if you do it wrong an your parents will go mad
if ya feel confident go ahead and do it, its explained step by step

make sure it can be done to your tv first as my model isnt supported if its not heres how i got around it

i ended up buying a hdmi dvd player il lidl for 44 euro and it plays almost every file except the odd one
it has an optical out on the back of it
this allows me to connect it to my other dvd surround sound which also wont play any films from external hard

so i can now watch the films through the lidl dvd player to the tv
and still have surround sound playing where if you play the external through the tv ya wont have surround sound

tshirtman
25th October, 2010, 01:04 PM
another thing you could check, is the format of the hard drive, is it formated to FAT32 or NTFS, if the movies are large files, then you should use NTFS.