PDA

View Full Version : any joiners need advice

gordy230
29th October, 2010, 07:19 PM
hi i have laid laminate floor down all was good until a few days later it went bumpy like wee hills if i stand on them i can even them out i lifted it up and laid it again and its happened again its like i can start at one end of room and work up the room flattening it out hard to describe thanks

maca
29th October, 2010, 07:38 PM
have you left a 10mil recess all round the edges of the floor ?

gordy230
29th October, 2010, 07:48 PM

no its some of it is neat against skirts but ive got laminate on other parts of house that are tight and are ok

maca
29th October, 2010, 07:52 PM
your suppose to leave a gap its actually a floating floor at the end of the day. if its too tight the floor will sort of have a
concertina affect try and leave a gap all round m8..

gmb45
29th October, 2010, 07:52 PM
no its some of it is neat against skirts but ive got laminate on other parts of house that are tight and are ok
you have GOT TO have about 10mm all way round to allow the boards to expand, or you will get what you have got, and your also supposed to leave the boards in the room for 48 hours before you lay them to climatise. the warmer the room the more they will expand.

Thor2
29th October, 2010, 07:56 PM

Agreed,plus 48 hrs to climatise.

thered
29th October, 2010, 07:56 PM
all above advice is correct laminate need to be able to move

sounds like you have butted it too tightly my personal preference when doing it is to put it under the skirting im not a fan of the scotcia

gmb45
29th October, 2010, 07:59 PM
all above advice is correct laminate need to be able to move

sounds like you have butted it too tightly my personal preference when doing it is to put it under the skirting im not a fan of the scotcia

yeh red im just bout to do my front room,but just decorated so dont want to rip skirting off, quadrant looks ok tho.

maca
29th October, 2010, 08:00 PM
yeh red im just bout to do my front room,but just decorated so dont want to rip skirting off, quadrant looks ok tho.
nah get the proper beading gmb m8 looks 10 times better..

gmb45
29th October, 2010, 08:02 PM
nah get the proper beading gmb m8 looks 10 times better..
yeh it does, but have u seen the price of it :eek: ~~~~ that between 5-10? a length

Evastar
29th October, 2010, 08:03 PM
or if you knew you were going to be doing this you could have screwed the skirting board on instead of nailing or glueing it ;)

gmb45
29th October, 2010, 08:06 PM
or if you knew you were going to be doing this you could have screwed the skirting board on instead of nailing or glueing it ;)
skirting already on so dont know if its screwed or nailed or glued, taking it of might cause a lot more work, ripped wall paper, plaster coming off, ~~~~ that will get some quadrant and paint it white like the skirting, did that in my last place it looked sound.

maca
29th October, 2010, 08:06 PM
yeh it does, but have u seen the price of it :eek: ~~~~ that between 5-10? a length
have alook here m8 Urban Flooring (http://www.urbanflooring.co.uk/shopping_cart.php?osCsid=ede236a8bc3e635c1ae3660e8 68ff5b9)

gmb45
29th October, 2010, 08:12 PM
have alook here m8 Urban Flooring (http://www.urbanflooring.co.uk/shopping_cart.php?osCsid=ede236a8bc3e635c1ae3660e8 68ff5b9)
ah thats not bad :top: pity u cant get it at that price in shop, hmmmm costs a ?1 a length at builders merchants for plain pine stuff can just get a small tin of stain then :top: sorted :)

thered
29th October, 2010, 08:17 PM

easy fix if you have painted and you have a bit left too touch up

maybe not so if your walls are papered because you may get tears

red1
29th October, 2010, 11:09 PM
You can still leave a gap of around about 10mm away from your skirting and fill it with cork, this allows your floor to expand without the unsightly gap. You will hardly notice it if you dont go looking for it.The cork is soft enough to expand and contract with the floor.

Grizz
30th October, 2010, 12:13 AM
hi i have laid laminate floor down all was good until a few days later it went bumpy like wee hills if i stand on them i can even them out i lifted it up and laid it again and its happened again its like i can start at one end of room and work up the room flattening it out hard to describe thanks

there's a special blade for cutting underneath skirting board to alllow flooring to go under, you attach it to a small grinder, but if i was you i'd remove the skirting boards replace the boards leaving the 10 mil gap and put skirt back on then. run a stanley along top of board to prevent pulling off paint/paper/plaster, it will be higher when stickin' it back on

Buy Arbortech Tuff-Cut Blade from Axminster, fast delivery for the UK (http://www.axminster.co.uk/arbortech-arbortech-tuff-cut-blade-prod23535/)

daithi
30th October, 2010, 12:48 PM
heres a video on laying floors that i followed from the manufacturer of my laminate flooring yours should have one to on there site

Kronoswiss Flooring (http://www.kronoswissofamerica.com/flooring/index.htm)

landtsheer
30th October, 2010, 03:09 PM
Thanks guy's this was really helpfull I'm actually getting the hang of this

maca
30th October, 2010, 10:32 PM
there's a special blade for cutting underneath skirting board to alllow flooring to go under, you attach it to a small grinder, but if i was you i'd remove the skirting boards replace the boards leaving the 10 mil gap and put skirt back on then. run a stanley along top of board to prevent pulling off paint/paper/plaster, it will be higher when stickin' it back on

Buy Arbortech Tuff-Cut Blade from Axminster, fast delivery for the UK (http://www.axminster.co.uk/arbortech-arbortech-tuff-cut-blade-prod23535/)
?40 ~~~~ that a masonry wheel will do the same thing...

Grizz
30th October, 2010, 10:48 PM
just another option, i wouldnt pay it. you get new skirting for that price.

maca
30th October, 2010, 10:50 PM
same here m8 ;)

cablefreejunkie
6th December, 2010, 12:33 PM
always best in my experience to do the job correctly the first time,
remove the skirting,this way you get a little bit to play with aswell,pardon the expression,,always make sure you leave a gap as it is a floating surface as has been said in previous posts
the finish will be a lot better if the skirting is removed
obviously sometimes its not practical to do this,espescially if you spent a fortune decorating walls etc etc but looks much better than beading etc
the main point is
LEAVE A GAP ALL ROUND 5MM-10MM