PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Speeds

garry1312
1st November, 2010, 04:48 PM
Hi this may seem like a daft question but can broadband providers offer different speeds? As they are mainly all through the BT exchange services.

The reason I am asking is that I was planning on changing broadband and contacted Sky and was advised that I would receive a shocking maximum of 1.5MB. BT estimated 5.5MB and Orange, Virgin and Talk Talk estimated between 9.0MB - 11.1MB

Now so confused. Just moved and was previously receiving 8.8MB in last property.

Thanks for any help suggested :)

dctyper
1st November, 2010, 06:57 PM
your satement is a bit confusing. virgin use ther own network so can offer pretty much anything up to 100mb

everyone else uses bt network so i would go with what bt say the line can handle(depends how far away from the exchane you are)

dc

dasteph
1st November, 2010, 09:07 PM
Hi this may seem like a daft question but can broadband providers offer different speeds? As they are mainly all through the BT exchange services.

The reason I am asking is that I was planning on changing broadband and contacted Sky and was advised that I would receive a shocking maximum of 1.5MB. BT estimated 5.5MB and Orange, Virgin and Talk Talk estimated between 9.0MB - 11.1MB

Now so confused. Just moved and was previously receiving 8.8MB in last property.

Thanks for any help suggested :)

if you can get virgin cable broadband then i would go with that rather than adsl which uses bt network regardless of the isp you use and as stated speed depends on the distance from the exchange.

garry1312
1st November, 2010, 09:49 PM
thanks guys. have went with BT they have adviced that once the line is stable after a week speed will go up with them. also they made a deal with me i.e. cheaper price as i told them i could get cheaper elsewhere, not sure if this was due to already being a BT customer.

dctyper
2nd November, 2010, 09:20 AM
did you check with virgin? cheaper and faster

garry1312
2nd November, 2010, 05:21 PM
not got fibre optic cables so if i went with virgin it wouldnt be any faster than BT or the rest of them as it would still go through the BT exchange.

lee_hdi
3rd November, 2010, 08:50 PM
All the speeds are upto 10mb for example, so you still may only get 2mb.

Cable will always be faster than adsl

dctyper
3rd November, 2010, 09:12 PM
not got fibre optic cables so if i went with virgin it wouldnt be any faster than BT or the rest of them as it would still go through the BT exchange.

ahh your not in a cabled area. ok coolios

dc

garry1312
3rd November, 2010, 10:58 PM
thanks guys

janobi
5th November, 2010, 11:19 AM
The reason other ISPs can offer faster speeds, is because they have their own equipment in the exchange, like adsl2 and stuff.

Sounds like your on adsl max, which will test your line for 10 days, and then give you the lowest speed that you sync at. So if you sync at 10mb for 9 days, then for 1 day sync at 2mb, then you will only get 2mb. Thats how it works.