PDA

View Full Version : ubunto with windows

spondulick
4th November, 2010, 11:34 PM
what are the dos and donts of putting a hard disk( ide)loaded with ubunto 8.04 onto a desktop pc with xp pro already running to dual boot..looking forward to any reply ps dont know ~~~~ all about linux.:eek:

opsmonkey
5th November, 2010, 12:13 AM
Have a look at this.. It will let you boot up Linux OS of your choice from Windows ;)

VMware Player: Run Windows 7, Chrome OS - Free Download for a Virtual PC (http://www.vmware.com/products/player/)

spondulick
5th November, 2010, 11:58 PM
thanks opsmonkey,this will be ideal especially as just used my spare drive on spare tower.will be better running virtually alongside xp.

voodboy
20th November, 2010, 08:31 AM
for me and im running win 7 , VMware made every thing go wherry slow it grabbed to much memory .

if you have a pc whit 2 hard drives and have xp or any win installed on one of the hard drives you can .. install ubuntu on the other hard drive .. and the the installer of ubuntu wil see that its not the only operation system and it will let you boot to win or ubuntu when you start up your pc .

yust simply putting in a hard drive whit ubuntu will not give you this option

opsmonkey
20th November, 2010, 06:15 PM
for me and im running win 7 , VMware made every thing go wherry slow it grabbed to much memory .

then i'd be tempted to say you are running Win 7 with a machine with little memory, probably around the 2GB mark..

It works effortlessly with my Core 2 and 4GB of memory on Win 7 64B Ultimate