PDA

View Full Version : bmw e39 cluster swap

smokinjoe
7th November, 2010, 02:22 AM
i'm looking to replace a vdo cluster on a 1998 e39,the problem is that the original is sw13 with 93c56 and the replacement one that the customer supplied me with is sw16 with 93c66, i have swapped these chips over but now have gauge and mileage issues, so does anyone know if its a possibility to do by eeprom/mcu swapping as i don't have the diagnostic equipment to reprogramme it,
thanks to all.

knok
7th November, 2010, 07:49 AM
i'm looking to replace a vdo cluster on a 1998 e39,the problem is that the original is sw13 with 93c56 and the replacement one that the customer supplied me with is sw16 with 93c66, i have swapped these chips over but now have gauge and mileage issues, so does anyone know if its a possibility to do by eeprom/mcu swapping as i don't have the diagnostic equipment to reprogramme it,
thanks to all.

so why you don?t swap entire cluster ????

smokinjoe
7th November, 2010, 03:17 PM
i have tried to swap the entire cluster but i have the same problem with the gauges and lights staying on.
the 2 clusters look identical apart from the different eeproms and software vesions so i thought if i could change a processor too it might fix this problem?

knok
7th November, 2010, 08:40 PM
i have tried to swap the entire cluster but i have the same problem with the gauges and lights staying on.
the 2 clusters look identical apart from the different eeproms and software vesions so i thought if i could change a processor too it might fix this problem?
in this case , or you have 2 defective dashboards or you have other problem into your electrical circuits.
One diagnostic tester will illuminate about ...

vares
7th November, 2010, 11:59 PM
Tank gauges and lights staying on?
Do first as told knok.
It is possible that the ground is missing in fuel gauges circuits.

smokinjoe
8th November, 2010, 01:37 AM
so with this car i should be able to just swap the clusters and correct the mileage??

vares
9th November, 2010, 02:01 AM
Not only mileage,VIN and coding too.