PDA

View Full Version : iPod touch 2g 16gb

jake-pickering
8th November, 2010, 11:07 PM
Hi all, Recently bought a iPod Touch 16gb second-generation of a pal of mine. He hasn't used the unit since he got his iPhone 4 a couple months back.

The device was fine when he stopped using it. Once I got it I restored it to factory settings in the menu on the iPod and that restored no problem. After i'd synced my data onto it and upgraded it to iOS 4.1 (latest firmware) and started actually using it i've notice a fault and I'm just wondering if anyone has else with experience in iPod touches (i'm a first time owner) has ever experienced or heard of anything like this and what the solution is.

The problem is as follows.

The only way to turn the iPod on is to hold the home button and the sleep/wake button together for about 8 seconds. The apple boot screen opens and it takes about 30 seconds to boot to the lock screen... when it does. Half of the time it just hangs on this boot screen.

If I get it up and running the iPod will work for anything between 10 secs to an hour. And whilst in use it will freeze on a screen (often a loading app, the home screen or anything really)

I have restored the iPod and re-synced like 3 times to know avail.

To my knowledge all the features work fine when it is working.

It is'nt jailbroken or modden in anyway.

ANY advice or help would be great.
Thanks.

fijiman
9th November, 2010, 09:09 AM
What is the battery showing when all this is happening..?
Does matey boy swear the touch was working fine before you had it or was he having the same problems?What firmware were you on before upgrade?

jake-pickering
9th November, 2010, 01:57 PM
Yeh he says the touch was working perfectly when he stopped using it and it seems to be holding battety for a reasonable amount of time. After speaking to opsmonkey last night in the chat box he seems to think i just need to downgrade the FW to 3.1.3 as the touch is struggling with 4.1 which is causing all the problems.

It's a straight forward process but i'm still struggling.

After I put the touch into DFU mode and try to 'Shift - restore' to the 3.1.3 firmware i've downloaded i recive error (3194) i think cant be sure without checking. And recive the message, this ipod is not eligible for this firmware (or something simmilar)

fijiman
9th November, 2010, 08:02 PM
Find out from your mate if shsh file was saved on cydia. I'm assuming the touch has been jailbroken before

(iTunes will not allow older firmware to be installed once you have upgraded.)

Need the SHSH files to downgrade

jake-pickering
10th November, 2010, 03:06 AM
nope the touch has never been jailbroken as I said in my first post. Not too smart on what these SHSH files are i've read about are. Is there anyway I can aquire them or is it just a case of i've cocked-up and theres no way I can downgrade?

^^TommyTee
10th November, 2010, 04:24 AM
unless you have your blobs before you upgraded im afraid your up the river without a paddle

you can allways try here for info and advice

SiNfuL iPhone (http://www.sinfuliphone.com/)

jake-pickering
10th November, 2010, 05:13 AM
well according to this article here it's not so impossible. Downgrade iOS 4.1 To 3.1.3 Without SHSH Blobs iPod Touch 3G / 2G (http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/downgrade-ios-4-1-to-3-1-3-without-shsh-blobs-ipod-touch-3g-2g/)

After giving it ago I made it all the way through then recived an error from itunes when restoring to the custom FW.

Now when I try and restore itunes hangs on 'Preparing iPod for restore' for a few minutes then I recive another error.

Starting to wind me up now lol

fijiman
10th November, 2010, 09:41 PM
Your problem stems from iTunes...it won't recognise older firmware because it's not signed....
You can use iReb to fix error 1015.
error 3194 requires:

1) Go to iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download (http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/) and download the 3.1.3 firmware for your device
2) Go to Start, All Programs, Accessories and then right-click on Notepad, and click 'Run as Administrator'.
3) When the Notepad opens up click file and Open
4) When Windows Explorer opens up paste: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\ into the address bar
5) Click on the drop down box in the lower right hand corner and select All Files
6) Open the Hosts file and paste: 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com at the bottom line of the file
7) Click File and Save and then close out of Notepad
8) Plug in your device and open iTunes
9) Click on your device in the left hand pane and then hold the shift key and click on restore
10) Select the firmware you downloaded and saved to your desktop and your device will start to restore to 3.1.3

NO GUARANTEE THIS WILL WORK.....this work around was passed to me by a mate of mine:wavey:

Just had a thought...if your lucky enough to have a second computer the above may work better on an older version of itunes which can be downloaded form the net.,

janobi
15th November, 2010, 03:47 PM
Your problem stems from iTunes...it won't recognise older firmware because it's not signed....
You can use iReb to fix error 1015.
error 3194 requires:

1) Go to iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download (http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/) and download the 3.1.3 firmware for your device
2) Go to Start, All Programs, Accessories and then right-click on Notepad, and click 'Run as Administrator'.
3) When the Notepad opens up click file and Open
4) When Windows Explorer opens up paste: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\ into the address bar
5) Click on the drop down box in the lower right hand corner and select All Files
6) Open the Hosts file and paste: 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com at the bottom line of the file
7) Click File and Save and then close out of Notepad
8) Plug in your device and open iTunes
9) Click on your device in the left hand pane and then hold the shift key and click on restore
10) Select the firmware you downloaded and saved to your desktop and your device will start to restore to 3.1.3

NO GUARANTEE THIS WILL WORK.....this work around was passed to me by a mate of mine:wavey:

Just had a thought...if your lucky enough to have a second computer the above may work better on an older version of itunes which can be downloaded form the net.,

This will only work if the device was perviously JB, as the shsh blobs will be saved on cydia. If its never been JB before, then you have no chance of downgrading the device.