PDA

View Full Version : Inline 2 & Inline 5

singleperson
15th November, 2010, 07:33 AM
Dear All,

Can you tell me why I can't use Inline2
I have Inline 2 & Inline 5 to connect ECM.
But I don't have driver Inline 2. I setup Insite 7 and use Inline 5 to connect ECM successfully. But I connect to ECM by Inline 2----> receive Fail.

Can you tell me why?
Because I don't find any error driver when I use Inline 2.
You can tell me how to use inline 2

Thanks so much & best regards

Juanincho
15th November, 2010, 07:27 PM
Dear All,

Can you tell me why I can't use Inline2
I have Inline 2 & Inline 5 to connect ECM.
But I don't have driver Inline 2. I setup Insite 7 and use Inline 5 to connect ECM successfully. But I connect to ECM by Inline 2----> receive Fail.

Can you tell me why?
Because I don't find any error driver when I use Inline 2.
You can tell me how to use inline 2

Thanks so much & best regards

Inline 2 works only with Cummins soft, it doesn't have any drivers. They are built into cummins soft. And inline 2 is a serial interface, and if you're using a usb to serial adapter, sometimes it doesn't work. Try to use it at a PC with a hardware serial port (not usb adapter). What type of cable are you using to connect to the vehicle?:wavey: P.S.: Don't forget to thank if this info were useful to you !

singleperson
16th November, 2010, 02:21 AM
Dear my friend,

Thank you.
I'll try again. I hope successful.

singleperson
16th November, 2010, 04:50 AM
Dear my friend,

I remember I connect to success with Inline2 by cable Converter USB-RS232.
But now i can't do that
Can you help me?

Juanincho
16th November, 2010, 04:19 PM
When you first install the drivers for the usb to serial converter, at which usb port did you connect the converter? For every usb port you connect the converter, a virtual serial port is created, with different COM port number. So if you put it on some usb port, plug it again there, or go to win device manager and check the com port number assigned to the converter, and if necessary, change it to COM1 or to the com port number matched at the insite connection manager, and it should be fine. Try it and tell me if you're lucky. (Don't forget to hit the thanks button !):congrats:

jctech
16th November, 2010, 09:14 PM
USB to serial converters only work some of the time with Insite and Inline adapters.
Sometimes they work with one ECM and not the next time.
If your PC has a serial port then Inline 2 will be OK, if only USB then use Inline 5.

Make sure you choose the correct com port in Insite for your USB adapter com port number
Inline 2 J1939 on com2, or whatever

Juanincho
16th November, 2010, 09:20 PM
USB to serial converters only work some of the time with Insite and Inline adapters.
Sometimes they work with one ECM and not the next time.
If your PC has a serial port then Inline 2 will be OK, if only USB then use Inline 5.

Make sure you choose the correct com port in Insite for your USB adapter com port number
Inline 2 J1939 on com2, or whatever

I agree jctech. USB to serial converters are a headache ! :champions:

mecaniquito
16th November, 2010, 09:51 PM
:hmmmm2::hmmmm2::hmmmm2:Hi I have a problem. Insite I have 7.4 but I can not have any communication with ecm. got an inline but not that it is inline This part number 3824938 and below has this nomenclature Meets TMC J1708 standards RP1202/SAE I know that inline is to see which driver is I hope you can help me thanks

Juanincho
16th November, 2010, 10:25 PM
:hmmmm2::hmmmm2::hmmmm2:Hi I have a problem. Insite I have 7.4 but I can not have any communication with ecm. got an inline but not that it is inline This part number 3824938 and below has this nomenclature Meets TMC J1708 standards RP1202/SAE I know that inline is to see which driver is I hope you can help me thanks

Which inline adapter do you have? The serial (Inline 2) or the usb (Inline 5) ? About Inline 2, read this whole thread for info. If it is Inline 5, go to cummins web site and there is the driver. Piece of cake ! :eating::birthday: PM for more instructions. Env?a un privado para m?s ayuda.

devil dog
17th November, 2010, 12:13 AM
What type ECM are you trying to hook to because some ECM's are only j-1708 data and newer ones like cm2150e only communicate on j1939 data bus.The j-1708 will work with the inline 1/2 and j-1939 will work with inline 4/5 serial or USB and other rp-1210a compilant adapters hope that helps some.:wavey:

integlikewhoa
17th November, 2010, 01:10 AM
[QUOTE=devil dog;849830]What type ECM are you trying to hook to because some ECM's are only j-1708 data and newer ones like cm2150e only communicate on j1939 data bus.The j-1708 will work with the inline 1/2 and j-1939 will work with inline 4/5 serial or USB and other rp-1210a compilant adapters hope that helps some.:wavey:[/QUO

Yes thats the biggest diff. INLINE 2 don't do newer vehicles.

colh
17th November, 2010, 01:06 PM
Inline 2 works only with Cummins soft, it doesn't have any drivers. They are built into cummins soft. And inline 2 is a serial interface, and if you're using a usb to serial adapter, sometimes it doesn't work. Try to use it at a PC with a hardware serial port (not usb adapter). What type of cable are you using to connect to the vehicle?:wavey: P.S.: Don't forget to thank if this info were useful to you !
This is a bit off topic but inline 2 works with CNH EST on both Cummins/CNH engines and with Iveco and with other controllers on Case machines ie arm rest,hydraulic etc.Works on New Holland with Iveco so software must be built into CNH EST as well.Proper adapter is a Dearborn Group,looks just like a inline 2 with different decal and works the same.
col

A K
17th November, 2010, 07:20 PM
I've a problem. Inline 5, windows 7 laptop, and insite 7.4. I can hook up and flash the inline adapter but I can't connect to the ECM. The insite doesn't list the inline 5. What am I doing wrong?
I've loaded the drivers and all updates.

A K

devil dog
17th November, 2010, 11:29 PM
I've a problem. Inline 5, windows 7 laptop, and insite 7.4. I can hook up and flash the inline adapter but I can't connect to the ECM. The insite doesn't list the inline 5. What am I doing wrong?
I've loaded the drivers and all updates.

A K
If all the drivers are loaded open INSITE and go to the bottom of the screen to the connection bar,scroll open the panel and add new connection follow the wizard and select the Inline 5 and make the connection active then try to connect. On the tool bar a little picture of the adapter should pop up hope that helps .:wavey:

A K
17th November, 2010, 11:56 PM
Thanks, I tried that and the inline 5 doesn't come up.

Juanincho
18th November, 2010, 12:03 AM
Thanks, I tried that and the inline 5 doesn't come up.

Install this soft, it is useful to check the installed rp1210 devices, so if the inline 5 is not shown there, there is a problem with the drivers. Post an image.:wavey:
http://rapidshare.com/files/431496112/DevInstall.zip

A K
18th November, 2010, 12:05 AM
Thanks, I'm at my wits end.

devil dog
18th November, 2010, 12:26 AM
Thanks, I'm at my wits end.
Are you using serial or USB,I guess WIN 7 64 did you try running insite under XP compatability, did you try this driver hope it help some.

A K
18th November, 2010, 12:44 AM
I 'm using USB 64 bit. Your driver file fixed it. I can't thank you enough. ( the DevInstall file)
A K

jctech
18th November, 2010, 09:07 PM
[QUOTE=devil dog;849830]What type ECM are you trying to hook to because some ECM's are only j-1708 data and newer ones like cm2150e only communicate on j1939 data bus.The j-1708 will work with the inline 1/2 and j-1939 will work with inline 4/5 serial or USB and other rp-1210a compilant adapters hope that helps some.:wavey:[/QUO

Yes thats the biggest diff. INLINE 2 don't do newer vehicles.

Inline 2 does support newer vehicles with J1939,
but does not support USB (it works sometimes thru an adaptor)

The original Inline (big black box) and Inline 1 (small grey unit) only have J1708 and will not support CM850 or later

jctech
18th November, 2010, 09:11 PM
This is a bit off topic but inline 2 works with CNH EST on both Cummins/CNH engines and with Iveco and with other controllers on Case machines ie arm rest,hydraulic etc.Works on New Holland with Iveco so software must be built into CNH EST as well.Proper adapter is a Dearborn Group,looks just like a inline 2 with different decal and works the same.
col

It is a standard protocol that is used for the inline adapter, (DPA), Dearborn Protocl Adapter
same as the standard messaging used by the machines J1939 or J1587/1708

Check out the Dearborn website and the wireless adapters, Inline 6 in test now, to be released soon

donniemnemonic
22nd November, 2010, 10:59 PM
came across some literature somewhere that states that inline 1 and inline 2 adapters are rp1202 compliant and not rp1210 like the inline 4/5 nexqis and dearborn adapters thus the inline 1 and 2 have issues when connected using usb to comm adapters since they are rp1202. Have come across the quickcheck 3 inline adapter that looks just like the inline 4/5 adapters but uses a serial cable to connect to the comm port, has anybody used this adapter with insite.:wavey:

RichardMX
22nd February, 2011, 08:10 PM
Can you guys confirm if Cummins Inline 5 works fine with:

CAT (trucks)
Detroit Diesel
International
Navistar
Allison
Eaton

Thanks for your comment!

spannermonkey
27th November, 2011, 11:06 AM
Hey has anyone tries to repair inline 5 adapters? i have 2 inline 5 kits, im sure ive used both of them before but when i tried to use the second one today it will not connect. iam using the usb cable, the J1708 light comes on and the box powers up when plugged in but the USB output light doesnt light up and insite cant detect any comms adapters.... im in trouble because i dont have my other adapter...

drizzt4321
27th November, 2011, 01:54 PM
Hey has anyone tries to repair inline 5 adapters? i have 2 inline 5 kits, im sure ive used both of them before but when i tried to use the second one today it will not connect. iam using the usb cable, the J1708 light comes on and the box powers up when plugged in but the USB output light doesnt light up and insite cant detect any comms adapters.... im in trouble because i dont have my other adapter...

Never tried to fix it myself, but I've had to send a few to Cummins to get repaired. If you are in the US, contact the nearest Cummins Distributor and tell them you need one repaired.

jctech
28th November, 2011, 12:54 AM
came across some literature somewhere that states that inline 1 and inline 2 adapters are rp1202 compliant and not rp1210 like the inline 4/5 nexqis and dearborn adapters thus the inline 1 and 2 have issues when connected using usb to comm adapters since they are rp1202. Have come across the quickcheck 3 inline adapter that looks just like the inline 4/5 adapters but uses a serial cable to connect to the comm port, has anybody used this adapter with insite.:wavey:

The Inline 3 adapter only works with Quickcheck, not Insite.
The Dearborn tech guy in the UK reflashed mine to work with Insite.

leopedranski
30th January, 2012, 04:54 PM
col

You might be right, but only 10%, first of all - cnh machines have many controllers

Gearbox controller (usual ZF) - diagnose on K line
Engine controller (usual Iveco, late Isuzu) - diagnose on K line
Hidraulics - i have no idea, but seems to be also K line

Cummins inline 2 or 5 ---etc --- adapters have only j1587/1787 , j1939 and Rp1210 compatibility.

No k line, iso 9149 etc.....

So how can Inline connect to CNH machines, if adapter cannot use K line?

Maybe im missing something here, please explain.

Regards,

PS :
Also, just as info, carefull when you send yr money to web sites that are selling DPA V for CNH.
Blue label CNH will never work with CNH EST! CNH est will work only with DPA V (or III) white label .

regards,

jctech
31st January, 2012, 12:02 AM
You might be right, but only 10%, first of all - cnh machines have many controllers

Gearbox controller (usual ZF) - diagnose on K line
Engine controller (usual Iveco, late Isuzu) - diagnose on K line
Hidraulics - i have no idea, but seems to be also K line

Cummins inline 2 or 5 ---etc --- adapters have only j1587/1787 , j1939 and Rp1210 compatibility.

No k line, iso 9149 etc.....

So how can Inline connect to CNH machines, if adapter cannot use K line?

Maybe im missing something here, please explain.

Regards,

PS :
Also, just as info, carefull when you send yr money to web sites that are selling DPA V for CNH.
Blue label CNH will never work with CNH EST! CNH est will work only with DPA V (or III) white label .

regards,

If it uses a Cummins clone engine, (clone QSB, QSC) the engine ECM is J1939. If it uses a Cummins QSX it is J1939.

leopedranski
31st January, 2012, 07:52 AM
In this particular case , insite can be used, not cnh est.

colh
31st January, 2012, 12:30 PM
In this particular case , insite can be used, not cnh est.
Does it recognize any of the controllers,it will only see them if it is hooked up,my inline 2 did last time I used it.I have never tried a later one as I dont like USB for uploads.Nexiq USB link wont see them but will work with the insite part of the program.I have been meaning to try a nexiq magikey but havent had time.
Col

hugos31
31st August, 2012, 05:19 AM
CUMMINS INLINE II - YouTube

hugos31
1st September, 2012, 02:06 AM
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/323/p1010629ch.jpg