PDA

View Full Version : My Dream Box 500s Is on it's way to me :) advice please

ShaGGy
4th December, 2008, 02:50 AM
Hi all,

Managed to get my hands on a genuine 500s which is being posted to me today
so i'll be out in this lovely british weather up a ladder and resurrecting my old H-H 1mtr dish from out of the shed,
now if I live out the dish erection can anyone give me some advice as to which software to install ? I will double check on its arrival that it definitely is a genuine box (it has never been used and comes as it is out of the box so nothing is installed) as i know the Gemini should only be installed on a genuine box but what would you recommend?

Also my H-H motor will not run from the box am I right in thinking a V-Box is what I need (are there alternatives)?

Thanks in advance.

opsmonkey
4th December, 2008, 02:54 AM
you need a USALS or DisEqC 1.2 to run off the 500s.. or a s you say anything else use a VBox..!

i use Gemini & CCcam 2.0.9 on my D500S..!

ShaGGy
4th December, 2008, 03:15 AM
Thanks Ospmonkey

Just hope the dish hasn`t been knocked while in the shed so its easier to set up again, don`t fancy too many trips up and down a ladder inthis weather :)

opsmonkey
4th December, 2008, 03:18 AM
lol.. i paid a guy to do mine.. i dont do heights

ShaGGy
4th December, 2008, 04:58 PM
damn just dug my dish out of the shed thinking it was a 1mtr but its a 80cm will that be ok? I know when my friend set it up years ago he was very surprised that I was getting one of the sats that he could only just get on his 1.2 mtr dish, so I am hoping it will do the job still?

opsmonkey
4th December, 2008, 05:45 PM
you'll get some good sats with an 80cm.. you wont get much of 16E or 0.8W.. check out the sats you can get here..

LyngSat - Lyngemark Satellite (http://www.lyngsat.com/)

wiki
4th December, 2008, 11:33 PM
hi guys
could you also help me to get familiar with dreambox,
what should i do to see encrpted channel.

thanks in advance

opsmonkey
5th December, 2008, 12:56 AM
read the forums mate.. all the stickies.. download some tutorials too

ShaGGy
5th December, 2008, 11:03 PM
Damn Royal mail :( didn`t deliver the box today so hope its her tomorrow.

whilst waiting I was looking at the V-Boxes and wondered would it not be better to replace my 36v H to H Motor with a new DiSEqC motor (or did I read somewhere that the box does not supply enough power to drive a motor)?

firestorm
5th December, 2008, 11:06 PM
the 500s drove my 1meter with no problem some people have reported problems driving dishes

ShaGGy
6th December, 2008, 11:54 PM
decided to get a new motor instead of messing about with a v-box, so dish will be on the pole tomorrow and then just wait for my 500s to arrive (damn royal mail are useless)

ShaGGy
7th December, 2008, 07:09 PM
Have a little problem if someone can help me out,

My dish has a adjustable bracket on the back attached to the LNB arm at the moment the bracket is offset, now I have bought a Disecq motor do I need to adjust this bracket so the disc is parallel with the arm on the motor?

example if I was to attach the dish to a pole that was vertical (without the motor) the dish would be pointing slightly upwards, is this correct? or do i need to adjust it so the dish would be vertical and parralel with the pole (without motor)?

The reason I ask is all the guides for disecq motor say to set the latitude on the motor and have no reference to adjusting the dish bracket apart from making sure it is directly in line with the markings on the motor arm.

opsmonkey
7th December, 2008, 07:19 PM
have you read this mate..? there's a vid from youtube on there too

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f11/installing-motorised-dish-12815/

ShaGGy
7th December, 2008, 07:28 PM
Yeah looked at that, none of the guides mention the dish bracket so I am presuming the dish should be paralell to the Motor arm and the latitude set on the motor bracket only (the bracket on the dish that I am talking about would alter the latitude setting)

opsmonkey
7th December, 2008, 07:33 PM
on my motor mate it just mentions setting the Lattitude.. nothing about the bracket to the dish.. i presume its just set to 20degs.. and then adjusted to get best signal, as per a normal setup

ShaGGy
7th December, 2008, 08:18 PM
Ah just found it it's the declination angle

looking at the booklet for the mount it says

Latitude (mine is) 53.5
Elevation angle 36.5
Declination Angle 7.6
Dish bracket angle 27.4

My dish was mounted on a H-H mount where the motor pole the dish was attached to pointed upwards and with the disesq one it points downwards
looking more into it it loks like I will have to adjust the declination also but i guess this will have to be done once mounted to fine tune.

ShaGGy
9th December, 2008, 06:53 PM
Got my box this afternoon and installed gemini went to finish putting up the dish as the light was starting to fade and noticed my LNB is only 0.7db :( so I guess I will need a new one now but whilst i'm at it I may as well get a 1mtr dish, so can anyone recommend a decent dish and LNB but cheapish?

opsmonkey
9th December, 2008, 08:02 PM
Dish 1 (http://www.puresat.co.uk/product.aspx?productid=807)

Dish 2 (http://www.puresat.co.uk/product.aspx?productid=808)

LNB 1 (http://www.puresat.co.uk/product.aspx?productid=1109)

LNB 2 (http://www.puresat.co.uk/product.aspx?productid=810)

Happy Shopping

cauliflower69
10th December, 2008, 01:28 AM
If you goto ebay and have a look for southernsatellite hes a great guy hooke me up with my 1m and motor and 0.1db LNB for about 90 squid about a year or so ago.

ShaGGy
11th December, 2008, 11:51 AM
Managed to get a new dish 1.1 :) and a 0.1 titanium LNB

Was having problems getting the thing setup tho yesterday so will have another go today.

anyone know a lot about setting up motor? i have read a few guides and some say set to true south and others say set south to your nearest (or central) satellite?

what I tried was leaving the motor at 0 then looking at dishpointer.com got the True South/True North direction and pointed my dish in the direction of the green line, then with DM told it to goto 0.8w but i couldn't get a signal even when altering the declination angle on the dish bracket.

Any advice would be helpful.

cauliflower69
11th December, 2008, 10:19 PM
Whats your long and lat m8 ?

I'm 8 degrees west so my nearest sat is Atlantic Bird 2.

So drive the motor to 0 and line up on that sat (different for you - and make sure its on 0) best as you can. Then once thats done move it to 13 then 19.2 etc etc and just fine tune as much as possible.

Do you have a meter or using the box ?

The reason why you do this is because that satellite is my true south mor or less and therefore at the very top of the arc.

ShaGGy
13th December, 2008, 03:14 AM
Whats your long and lat m8 ?

I'm 8 degrees west so my nearest sat is Atlantic Bird 2.

So drive the motor to 0 and line up on that sat (different for you - and make sure its on 0) best as you can. Then once thats done move it to 13 then 19.2 etc etc and just fine tune as much as possible.

Do you have a meter or using the box ?

The reason why you do this is because that satellite is my true south mor or less and therefore at the very top of the arc.

Yet again Thanks Cauliflower :)
Mine are Lat 53.5 & Lon 2.16 W

Getting Meter in the morning btw

ShaGGy
14th December, 2008, 12:01 AM
All up and running :)

Had somehow when aiming for sout i had pointed the dish slightly to the right DOH (thats what you get for lineing it up when the light was fading fast i guess)

Managing to get most sats but needs a tweak and notice my pole is slightly tilted to the east so will correct that tomorrow.

But just wanted to say thanks for everyones input in here.

And with the really bad winds last night my dish and house are still standing :)

cauliflower69
14th December, 2008, 12:08 AM
Great to here m8. Happy to help ;)