PDA

View Full Version : 360 cooling fan

hollybairn
4th December, 2008, 07:41 AM
Hi Folks

Have bought a new 360 (60 gb hard drive) for the kids crimbo.
Just wondering if anyone has used the cooling fans that are advertised on sites like Amazon,Play etc.Is this recommended or are the recent batch of machines reliable or will they still be prone to RROD due to overheating ?

Thanks in advance
Hollybairn

nellyscossy
4th December, 2008, 08:45 AM
Hi Folks

Have bought a new 360 (60 gb hard drive) for the kids crimbo.
Just wondering if anyone has used the cooling fans that are advertised on sites like Amazon,Play etc.Is this recommended or are the recent batch of machines reliable or will they still be prone to RROD due to overheating ?

Thanks in advance
Hollybairn

i was told that the fans that plug on the back werent much cop ,i fitted te internal whisper fans to mine but awkward with a new 360 due to breaking the warranty seal...my son brought a brand new xbox not so long ago and he has just got the dreaded rrod

shortyball
8th December, 2008, 12:18 PM
i read a review a while back that a few had reported faults like burning and such, i choose not to. I took the advice to ensure my box is always lying down with plenty space so it has plenty of ventilation, and if something does melt it shouldnt move out of position to much, compared to standing up.
Saved me opening the case up gain and installing fans something i would probably do wrong.

Raven
10th December, 2008, 11:03 PM
Coincidence or not I can tell you that in the past I had a cheaper xbox360 external case fan (I think it was a Nyko make) and no sooner than I had fitted it and powered up my 360...boom RRoD! Honest to god I hadn't had a hint of an issue before that and then the very first bootup of the console with the new fans on the back of it and instantly it RRoD....so this time I am staying well away from them fans unless I get the specific one that my brother has which I think is a 4gamers brand....those are also backlit which helps....M$ spokespeople are saying that 360's are only built with enough power to handle what it pumps out so any external fans are taking away from this so they say it's not M$ fault because of this....all I can tell you is some brands work and other brands appear to cause RRoD. So be very careful which brand you buy and don't go penny saving on this one. Trust me.

.: JaCkPoT :.
12th December, 2008, 12:44 AM
The cheaper fans only work on the arcade. They will not fit on the premium or elite unless you buy the more expensive ones. The cheap ones are for the arcades

Raven
14th December, 2008, 04:39 PM
Mine was a launch premium console which I'd had for exactly 1 year at the time without any troubles until the fan got put on the back of it and it instantly red ringed upon reboot after this....how are the cheaper fans only for arcades then are all 360's not all the same dimensions then ?

.: JaCkPoT :.
14th December, 2008, 06:24 PM
I think it blocks some of the things at the back and the fan has some things sticking out like the hard drive which slots in and the slots are slightly differently placed so it wont fit.