PDA

View Full Version : Ireland Income Tax Question

bonus2010
25th November, 2010, 11:40 AM
As a matter of interest, I'm wondering what the personal tax allowance is for a single person is in Ireland?

It may be called something else in Ireland, but in Britain you are not liable to pay income tax until you have earnt ?6,475 per annum.

I was listening to a radio talk show, where I thought I heard it was ?20,000. Think I've picked this up wrong....

Hope Ireland resident can clarify this for me...

daithi
25th November, 2010, 04:59 PM
have a look around here mate
IT1 - Tax Credits, Reliefs and Rates for the Tax Years 2009 and 2010 (http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it1.html#section1)

Lainie
25th November, 2010, 05:24 PM
no idea sorry but know they dont have nat insurance numbers they have their own version of that.

Wolfpack
25th November, 2010, 05:39 PM
The law is bend over and take it in the ass. does it really matter what the law is? They always get their share

boothuk
26th November, 2010, 11:09 AM
Can you get a ferry from Ireland to England without showing your passport and vice versa? Or if not, Northern Ireland to England....?

reddevil157
26th November, 2010, 11:13 AM
Why's that, do you want to come over every week to claim the dole too.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

boothuk
26th November, 2010, 11:30 AM
Haha, no for other reasons. I.e., Being in ROI will mean a UK citizen will not be domiciled for tax purposes? If I was claiming dole though, your's is a lot higher, ha.

bonus2010
26th November, 2010, 11:40 AM
have a look around here mate
IT1 - Tax Credits, Reliefs and Rates for the Tax Years 2009 and 2010 (http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it1.html#section1)

Thanks

Had a look at this web page, even before asking the question and to be honest?. struggling to understand how much money an Irish citizen is able to earn before being subject to percentage taxation?.

There is a reference to ?20,000, but this indicates for those over age 65?
I think the Irish government is just as bad as the British for making taxation a very unnecessary complicated process.

bonus2010
26th November, 2010, 11:44 AM
Why's that, do you want to come over every week to claim the dole too.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Very funny? I?ve never had any ambitions to leave Scotland? never agreed with the need for immigration? Your statement makes me wonder about the level of unemployment benefits paid in Ireland. I know in Britain that I?ve only ever heard of working people taking an interest in the personal tax allowance. That?s because the personal tax allowance generally doesn?t affect the unemployed in Britain because their income doesn?t exceed that amount?

My question was related to my interest in how other countries tax the poor at the lower end of the economy. I feel that in Britain the PTA is set far too low.

Grizz
26th November, 2010, 11:51 AM
its all greek to me too mate and i do my own accounts, i just use my books to fill out the return, then send the form in and let them work it out.

............................. i just sat down with a coffee and tried to work it out and my calculator says 9150 for a single person, double that to make up for a ball and chain. Does that sound right?

daithi
26th November, 2010, 03:46 PM
your better off on the dole in ireland ya get more than most people working

they have now cut the minimum wage to 7.65
thats just under 300 a week for 39 hours

or go on the dole for 203 euro scratch your ass for the week and have the medical card and rent allowance
and work on the sly for a day or two and make more its a ~~~~ing joke

DPD
26th November, 2010, 03:57 PM
?196 a week now but i would say there will be a 8% cut when the budget comes in on the 8th dec.

bonus2010
26th November, 2010, 04:00 PM
your better off on the dole in ireland ya get more than most people working

they have now cut the minimum wage to 7.65
thats just under 300 a week for 39 hours

or go on the dole for 203 euro scratch your ass for the week and have the medical card and rent allowance
and work on the sly for a day or two and make more its a ~~~~ing joke

Must admit, I was a bit puzzled to hear the Irish government announcing a cut in the minimum hourly rate, as to how this would help with reducing a deficit?

Grizz
26th November, 2010, 05:09 PM
i think they reckon it will promote business growth if employers dont have to pay as much(well the lobby groups reckon(ISME)). what they will do is drive people who are doing their best to the dole as Daithi said.

barrowmanandrew
26th November, 2010, 05:21 PM
that tax system is as complicated and stupid as our own.

looking at this page (http://www.taxireland.ie/taxadvice/IncomeTaxPRSI.aspx), it seem the threshold for paying tax is:

single : 5210 euro
married: 10,420 euro

that's if i have read it correctly... :hmmmm2::hmmmm2::hmmmm2:

reddevil157
26th November, 2010, 08:51 PM
Very funny? I?ve never had any ambitions to leave Scotland? never agreed with the need for immigration? Your statement makes me wonder about the level of unemployment benefits paid in Ireland. I know in Britain that I?ve only ever heard of working people taking an interest in the personal tax allowance. That?s because the personal tax allowance generally doesn?t affect the unemployed in Britain because their income doesn?t exceed that amount?

My question was related to my interest in how other countries tax the poor at the lower end of the economy. I feel that in Britain the PTA is set far too low.

Come on Bonus, in our present climate, we've got to have a sense of humour m8.

bonus2010
26th November, 2010, 09:11 PM
Come on Bonus, in our present climate, we've got to have a sense of humour m8.

You're right!!!!

Hey, tell you what... daithi55's comments got me thinking... ?203 per week on dole... for scratching ass..
You know... this imigration lark might be a good idea after all... rent paid as well.. that's sounds good.

Remember, a good few years ago now, meeting my cousin from Canada who came to visting... telling me that
in Canada when you're unemployed you get a beer allowance. Do you get Guiness allowance in Ireland?

:cheers:

reddevil157
26th November, 2010, 09:39 PM
You're right!!!!

Hey, tell you what... daithi55's comments got me thinking... ?203 per week on dole... for scratching ass..
You know... this imigration lark might be a good idea after all... rent paid as well.. that's sounds good.

Remember, a good few years ago now, meeting my cousin from Canada who came to visting... telling me that
in Canada when you're unemployed you get a beer allowance. Do you get Guiness allowance in Ireland?

:cheers:We don't get it in Ireland, but Canada's looking good now.