PDA

View Full Version : Caterpillar engine 3406E flashing

jackalfa
25th November, 2010, 11:39 PM
Hi DK MEMBERS,
I'm trying to re-rate a truck with an engine 3406E serial number start with 6TS but when I try to use winflash a window show up saying that if I continue the process I need to have a 106-9184 blank module in stock, can you help whit this? I just want to change from 434 HP to 500 HP and from 1650 to 1850 torque.

I check the cross reference file and I come up with 186-9924.fls. Can I just do the flash? or what I need to do to here to have a successful flashing, I don't want to have a dead ecm.

Thanks a lot and best regards.

dieselman77
26th November, 2010, 02:04 AM
Never seen that pop up before what version of et are you using ? some of the engines you have to change hard parts like cam, pistons, etc you might want to look into that before you just go flashing the ecm it make blow the engine up

jackalfa
26th November, 2010, 06:50 AM
Here is the screen of the window, hope somebody can help me out or give some advice. thanks

jtr8178
26th November, 2010, 09:05 AM
Here is the screen of the window, hope somebody can help me out or give some advice. thanks

That message is saying if you have an engine serial # that begins with those prefix's you are going to have problems ... It doesn't look like your engine serial # falls within those ranges.

jackalfa
26th November, 2010, 10:08 AM
What is this: 106-9184 blank module personality. It's a a blank ecm? or a flash file? I can't find this number in SIS.
thanks

BADGASS
26th November, 2010, 08:16 PM
On the 40 pin ecm,some have a replaceable PM (personality mod) It is the the four bolt window on the front of the ecm. A fast way for the dealer to change PM or horsepower. NOT all ecm have this feature. It is only on the 40 pin ecm's. Go thru with the flash and you will be fine! I have done alot and i mean alot with out any problem!! 99% that you wont have a problem! Alot of the 6TS dont have this anyway

jackalfa
27th November, 2010, 01:03 AM
Please, somebody can help me out with these flash files for 3406E engine serial: 6TS00001:

1572908, 1572907, 1572906, 1572905, 1572904,1572903.

Thank you very much I really appreciate this.

tonyspamone
30th November, 2010, 04:28 PM
On the 40 pin ecm,some have a replaceable PM (personality mod) It is the the four bolt window on the front of the ecm. A fast way for the dealer to change PM or horsepower. NOT all ecm have this feature. It is only on the 40 pin ecm's. Go thru with the flash and you will be fine! I have done alot and i mean alot with out any problem!! 99% that you wont have a problem! Alot of the 6TS dont have this anyway

Hey Jack,

Badgass is right, about the window on the ecm. Never had a problem flashing but you almost always break 1 or 2 of the four bolts when you do try to remove that window and then you do need to buy a new ecm because the water will enter from there.

How did you make out with the flash files?

jackalfa
1st December, 2010, 07:11 AM
Everything went very well my friend thanks a lot for you help and time.

HASSANYEHIA
1st December, 2010, 01:58 PM
thank you very match

joeseph666
11th December, 2010, 12:26 AM
Ok guys...

I have thrown all sorts of passwords at this thing.
It keeps saying invalid password. Even Car$oft tried to help out.

There is a caution in the x-ref file about engines:
9ck1 thru 5000
5ek1 thru 5000

That caution states that these engines might not accept a post nov95 or later flash file. It hints that the Personality Module may need to be blanked out with a special flash file: 106-9184.

I am working on a 5ek80000 engine. I figured it did not apply to this one. Especially since it already had a Low-Nox-Kit calibration in it. (Interlock 350)

ET did say the same caution Jackalfa got. I went ahead.
Now it seems that even correct passwords are refused by the ecm. ET reports invalid password.

Is it possible that the interlock needs to be wiped before a valid password can be accepted? Can it be that the thing is locked and ET "sees" the failure as an invalid password?

If so... I am gonna need that 106-9184 calibration.
I mean I am gonna really need this.

Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks for taking the time to read this.

hunter1
11th December, 2010, 04:06 AM
i think the problem is password gen won't do anything above 256 interlock code
here's the work around i used on a 40 pin ecm
make sure you have et 2129 fullservice dealer
flash this file into ecm 155-5526
open configuration goto fls\fts should say not programmed
enter in whatever you want don't need passwords as they are not already programmed close out, flash in your desired flash file and you should have the interlock of desired flash file stored in ecms memory
do not use factorypassword gen on anything when 155-5526 flash file is in ecm as i have not tested that yet

outlawtroy
24th December, 2010, 05:19 PM
Thank you Hunter 1 for this.

joeseph666
28th December, 2010, 06:26 PM
Hunter1,

I am going to give this a try. But on a truck with a 145-4273 calibration inside. I need that calibration in case this fails. Is that available? Better would be the 410 hp with 107 PM calibration. It's not in the crossref though. 192-5318 has replaced it. Low Nox crap.

Thanks in Advance.

joeseph666
3rd January, 2011, 08:00 AM
i think the problem is password gen won't do anything above 256 interlock code
here's the work around i used on a 40 pin ecm
make sure you have et 2129 fullservice dealer
flash this file into ecm 155-5526
open configuration goto fls\fts should say not programmed
enter in whatever you want don't need passwords as they are not already programmed close out, flash in your desired flash file and you should have the interlock of desired flash file stored in ecms memory
do not use factorypassword gen on anything when 155-5526 flash file is in ecm as i have not tested that yet

hunter1,
This looked ok to try, but for me... it didn't work.
1. I was using ET with Factory 5006 license.
I flashed 155-5526 into the ecm.
I looked into the fts/fls system folder, and PM was 5 digits long... starting with 12xxx. I don't remember the exact number now. The fls/fts were "not programmed."
But when I tried to change the PM number, I got the same factory password dialog. You said not to try the passwords when 155-5526 was in ecm... so I gave up then and put back the original flash.

I wish it worked... now I can only use the pre lownox calibrations. Where can I get the crossref of those? Dec 97 maybe. I am trying to uprate from that 355 hp to the 410 hp with 1450/1550 multitorque. It has a 107 PM code for a 3406E 1LW motor.

BADGASS
5th January, 2011, 01:50 AM
I also have that problem with passwords that dont work. So what i did was found a file that will ask for just a p/m . NOT an interlock. I'll flash the ecm and passwords will work cause its only a pm. Then back to back install the file that i want, and for some reason the the flash file that norm. asks for interlocks ,will only ask for p/m. do passwords and all is fine. I call it a pre-flash. It works. But it will throw up some cautions of a mis match. ( proceed on)I use a smallblock file first,do passwords and then re-flash with desired file. 190-0222 is just some crappy file that i use FIRST. Never let me down always worked. Should work for you. By the way ,why not put a 475 file in? PM me if you have any problems,i dont always check in DK

hunter1
5th January, 2011, 06:34 PM
don't change p/m code when 155-5526 is in just fls or fts do both or one don't matter it does something to ecm memory on a shared address then if p/m code is 12xxxx try cut power to ecm for 30 sec. repower up and should be interlock code 5 with 155-5526 file in there also before flashing in 155-5526 save configuration by useing ecm replacment menu in et as flashing in 155-5526 causes timing calibration life totals injector code to erase from ecms memory

BADGASS
6th January, 2011, 12:08 AM
Hey Hunter1, i didnt get a chance to check out your file yet. Was just curious of what it is exactly. Thanks Pal, Lots of good info,Keep it coming! Good job. P.s. thanks for the new file. BADGASS :D :D

joeseph666
16th January, 2011, 03:50 PM
{...} ...also before flashing in 155-5526 save configuration by useing ecm replacment menu in et
I did that...

as flashing in 155-5526 causes timing calibration life totals injector code to erase from ecms memory

hunter1, You are right about that... the ecm now has lost the engine timing calibration... and has a check engine light always on.

I used the saved file I got from the ECM Replacement function... to reprogram all the parameters back in. But that timing parameter must not have been included in the file.
Check Engine light still on... So how do I fix that now? lol

c16man
16th January, 2011, 05:50 PM
I did that...

hunter1, You are right about that... the ecm now has lost the engine timing calibration... and has a check engine light always on.

I used the saved file I got from the ECM Replacement function... to reprogram all the parameters back in. But that timing parameter must not have been included in the file.
Check Engine light still on... So how do I fix that now? lol

You will need the timing calibration probe and cable (cant remember the part no: will check on it). To install the probe takes longer than the calibration process. Process takes about 5 to 10 sec. Although CAT claimes that when the timing calibration fault code is active it doesnt affect engine performance. If I remember correctly the probe must be installed on the left side of the engine ( must read of the cranc )

joeseph666
16th January, 2011, 05:59 PM
I should have mentioned the driver says the engine runs fine, even with the fault active.

hunter1
16th January, 2011, 08:53 PM
it's running on default timing ok to run may have poor fuel mileage thats all they say timing cal won't affect performance same as if you change the timing sensor needs to be re-calibrated transducer p/n is 6v-2197 there is a plug in block on drivers side front that lines up with counter weight on crankshaft no. 1 60 degrees before tdc puts the weight closest to plug hole, insert transducer till it makes contact with crankshaft weight and pull back enough for crank to spin without hitting it look by the ecm for timing cal plug unplug connector, plug wire from transducer to it and use et to cal the newer engines added a crank pos sensor and did away with need for timing cal

c16man
17th January, 2011, 12:02 PM
Hope this helps, for the 3406 there is a hole between cyl1 and cyl2 ( in line with cranc ) where the timing tranducer must be installed in order to perform timing calibration.

joeseph666
26th February, 2011, 12:35 AM
nevermind... this one

joeseph666
2nd March, 2011, 06:33 AM
Hi fellow DK'ers,

Well... today... another 3406E rolled in. Low Nox'ed. A TS serial numbered engine. Hunter1, Badgass, C16man... what a great conversation! It really gave me the confidence to give it another whirl on this motor. I followed the instructions given by Hunter1... and it went as he described. No factory password needed.

After I flashed in the 155-5526... I got the "not programmed" in the fts/fls boxes... and so I programmed them. I had the 12xxxx in the PM box... so I cut power after I did the fls/fts. On power up, it had a 5.

So I went and flashed in my desired calibration.

Hunter1,
Do you have a file you use on 70 pin ecms? LOL.

Thanks for helping me out on what I thought was impossible.

nguyenvu
13th May, 2012, 03:51 PM
Hi everybody on the board. I need a flash file Caterpllas C15 ECM. Number BXS36793 enginer. Thank you

catalin_u
23rd May, 2012, 02:21 PM
Here is your FLASH file.

06hdsoftail
24th April, 2013, 10:54 PM
hey gota customer looking to turn his truck up its a 3406e cat heres info what flash file do i need to do this thanks JJ Engine Serial Number: 1LW11779-PA ECM Serial Number: 10580023CJ-SN