PDA

View Full Version : Erasing 29F200BB Help / Technique / Tool ?

darwins
26th November, 2010, 11:44 AM
Dear Group.

I'm looking for some inspiration.

Can I ask what equipment is being used to erase 29F200 parts?
I have a 29F200BB (ST Make) & 29F200BT (AMD Make) I can read accurately both every time with an X5 programmer but I cannot erase either.

I'm starting to think it?s me, I initially used my Arlabs programmer which failed to erase full stop and the reads on both parts were inconsistent.

So next I tried my recently arrived X5 this says it has erased them but it?s not, support is in pigeon English and I'm very confused with their software, the software downloaded from a link they sent me looks an older format than that downloaded from their main site, even though more parts are covered in the link download :hmmmm2:

I have been reassured this is a genuine programmer but this means nothing I guess based on the price which sort of makes me think it?s a copy of some type, anyone know?

I'm querying to myself if this is simply the parts, I have ordered some new parts to test.

I can?t stand issues like this because they drive me mad when I?m under pressure :ridinghorse:

I?m considering getting the Data Man 48Pro+ any thoughts on this unit?
I quiet like the thought of picking up a phone rather than waiting 3 days for an email that does not answer a question..

Thanks in advance.

Darwins

alfy
26th November, 2010, 12:57 PM
Willem normally do this.

ominimicu
27th November, 2010, 09:09 AM
just put FF FFF in everything or use UV light

easytech
27th November, 2010, 02:08 PM
Maybe the security bits. As mentioned you can write all FF.

Dataman are the best programmers, not cheap, I have 48LV update to 48XP for over 10years never let me down.

alfabit
27th November, 2010, 02:19 PM
... use UV light

UV light for erasing 29f200bb ? That is the best I`ve heard this week !

Willem do the job, cheap programmer, need an adapter.

darwins
27th November, 2010, 10:45 PM
Erase with UV ?
Does any one know a good window fitter that takes on these small one off jobs, the measurements would also be usefull for drilling the hole.......... Only Kidding!
:celticparty:

I'm confused with writing FF also, this is a flash chip which needs erasing then writing too, maybe some one could correct my thinking if this is wrong or am I missing a process ?

Cheers

Darwins.

ominimicu
28th November, 2010, 08:55 AM
An EPROM requires a specific frequency of UV 253.7 nanometers (2537 angstroms). In fact the high frequency UV light used will not pass through plastic or most glass. To pass this light, the window in the EPROM is made of quartz crystal. The correct frequency of a light source alone won't guarantee proper EPROM erasure. The intensity of the light source combined with the distance from the light source determines the intensity of the exposure. Light intensity varies inversely with the distances from the source. (The longer the distance the lower the intensity of the light.) You will find that the closer the chip is to the light source, the faster the EPROM will erase.

easytech
28th November, 2010, 09:27 AM
Only in this case it is not an EPROM, 29F is FLASH ROM.

alfabit
28th November, 2010, 09:59 AM
I'm confused with writing FF also, this is a flash chip which needs erasing then writing too, maybe some one could correct my thinking if this is wrong or am I missing a process ?

Cheers

Darwins.

Usually the programmer soft makes erase / write command, to be sure that one doesn`t write the prom whitout erasing it.
There are some people who forget to erase before writing, and the soft wants to be sure the chip is erased before writing. But there are softs who have separate commands for erasing and writing. One has to press erase first, after that to press write second, two clicks instead of one, erase/write command.

Be sure that your willem ensure a 12.5V mains for totally erase the chip, including the protected fields. ( RESETpin 44, A9 and so on ... ) Consult the datasheet of the 29F200.

Blckwlf
28th November, 2010, 07:12 PM
First unprotect protected fields, then erase. I work with EE-tools and ALL-11 programmer. The way maybe the same with your willem.

darwins
28th November, 2010, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

I don't have a willem anymore.

I have Arlabs, which requires erase then write, 2 separately tasks.

I have recently purchased a Smart Pro X5, which does have more functions including specific choice selection, but it hits time out problems if I go down the Autoroute, I have to select ID out or it falls at the first hurdle.

Has anyone found the following a fix? (Taken From Data Man Software)

General Info:
In case of unreliable work with this device connect 22nF-100nF multilayer capacitor (that meet the EIA X7R or Z5U specification) between GND and VCC pins of the device. The VCC is on the 23/44 pin and GND on the 13/44 or 32/44 pins.

I have ordered a few capacitors to see if the time out issue can be overcome, maybe I should also id which circuit has a pull problem...

Thanks again any input is very appreciated.

Darwins.

Chaser
29th November, 2010, 06:20 AM
Whenever I've had a problem with these or any of the other PSOP IC's its due to a pin connection problem in the adaptor. That can simply be just some flux or junk on a pin, a slightly bent pin or just the IC hasn't been seated correctly in the socket.
Most of the time you'll know its connected properly when the reads come up with the same checksum. Then you do your erase and it will be fine

I just use one of these guys
MCUmall Electronics Inc. A low cost EPROM EEPROM Atmel PIC I2C SPI programmer online store (http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4312)

A GQ-4X works for everything so far as long as you have the adaptors to suit

M

satchimo
29th November, 2010, 06:27 AM
willem programmer for sure. cheap too.

sjonv
29th November, 2010, 06:40 AM
chaser is right about the adapter, i had this almost similar problem wht a wellon programmer,

i used a wrong adapter with pin 1 to 1 an 44 to 44, but the wellon is other pinout needed. I orderderd another adapter is no problem anymore.

good luck

darwins
30th November, 2010, 01:10 AM
Thanks for the above help.

I have started a new post http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f173/smartpro-x5-what-results-you-getting-175471/ (http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f173/smartpro-x5-what-results-you-getting-175471/) which is asking for feedback about the X5 programmer supplied by this company
http://www.programtec.com/english/products/SmartPROx5.asp

All conection test as good.

Thanks again

Darwins

kugglefischer
11th January, 2011, 01:06 PM
Whenever I've had a problem with these or any of the other PSOP IC's its due to a pin connection problem in the adaptor. That can simply be just some flux or junk on a pin, a slightly bent pin or just the IC hasn't been seated correctly in the socket.
Most of the time you'll know its connected properly when the reads come up with the same checksum. Then you do your erase and it will be fine

I just use one of these guys
MCUmall Electronics Inc. A low cost EPROM EEPROM Atmel PIC I2C SPI programmer online store (http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4312)

A GQ-4X works for everything so far as long as you have the adaptors to suit

M

Hi..........
Ive got the same programmer here from MCUmall..........damn good!
and cheap!
and real usb .........
does it all!

:cheer:
K